Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tablets in Cars

I am an absolutely safe driver and that is my point. Using a tablet is safer than a smartphone because it is larger and therefore easier to see.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    I am an absolutely safe driver and that is my point. Using a tablet is safer than a smartphone because it is larger and therefore easier to see.
    I think that's their point - pull over. New law in United States - hand held cell phones banned in CMVs. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/other...-ban-faqs.aspx
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

I think the point of this thread was using tablets for dispatch, run details and navigation, not voice comm. Our tablets are mounted in a cradle in front of the driver and only require one finger to operate. While waiting for a pickup or sitting at a red light I can easily scan the tablet screen.
    We use Nextel push to talk phones for voice comm. which is legal. The company provides the tablet and phone.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    I think the point of this thread was using tablets for dispatch, run details and navigation, not voice comm. Our tablets are mounted in a cradle in front of the driver and only require one finger to operate. While waiting for a pickup or sitting at a red light I can easily scan the tablet screen.
    We use Nextel push to talk phones for voice comm. which is legal. The company provides the tablet and phone.
    If you read #3, Nextels are only to be used if you are not holding the phone. It seems as they have changed the FAQ, because a couple of weeks ago I was reading the FAQ and it discussed drivers using computerized logs and there was an issue on entering mileage (over-the-road drivers have to enter mileage when entering a different state for fuel tax reasons) and GPS units. That would be similar to using a tablet for the reasons you are talking about. That is not discussed on this FAQ. I am wondering how strict the different states will be on enforcing this new law, but be aware that as of now the FAQ suggests that whatever is being done it must be done "without reaching" and without holding a cell phone and it only pertains to Federally regulated CMVs.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com