Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from New Operator in Norther Alberta Canada - Great Site !

Default Hello from New Operator in Norther Alberta Canada - Great Site !

I am completely new to the business, researched it for a year before buying, but everything is a learning curve. I bought a car that is in great condition and so far in great working order. Except: it came to me basically only the car. No remotes for the tv, no instructions, no garbage in the trunk... not even a spare.

I am picking up everything along the way (thanks to google), but it takes a long time for me to research and find everything. I can see that this site is a goldmine of information and experience. I am looking forward to being a member and sharing what I learn, and taking any advice you'll share.

Gene
    Lac La Biche, Alberta, Canada
    Limousine1.ca
    2006 6pax Lincoln.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Welcome!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

From just over the border to the east of you, good luck and welcome.
    Excalibur Limousine Service

Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5
    Lincoln Navigator 140" Stretch - Krystal
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28

Thank-you neighbor! I see your town size is similar to mine and also about 200 k from the closest major center. I have just started last month and only had two official paying jobs (one wedding, one event shuttle), and am hoping to carve myself a business. My thought is "Why would anyone want to drive around this town for an hour", so I've focused on partnering with businesses and making packages while offering first class service and amenities. I'm currently billing at about $100 per hour.

I see you have four units... I'd love to hear any advice you have if you care to educate this newbie. Do you have units in Saskatoon, etc.

Thanks for the good wishes and neighborly welcome!

Gene

All units are based in Kindersley and do travel to Saskatoon quite a bit. I leave the shorter trips to the Saskatoon operators, under 3 hours, who are better able to handle the turn around better. Weddings, and larger corporate functions, dinner trips, team building are where the larger portion of my business is. In Kindersley, my hourly trips would be included in a dinner arrangement so your driving time is not extensively around the community. We are licensed to serve alcohol, so there would be wine and flowers to be enjoyed as well. As for pricing, base it on the surrounding larger centers and don't under sell yourself.

Thank-you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your advice. It is tempting to discount especially when starting out, but you have confirmed yet again that I should not. I won't. I have been approved for my liquor license as well... just waiting for the handbook etc in the mail. Nice to have confirmation on that expense as well.

Bless your family and your business,
    Gene.
    Lomousine1.ca
    Lac La Biche, Alberta Canada
    780-623-3157 or 780-520-LIMO

New Operation Sept 2011
    2006 6pax Lincoln Town Car

I noticed you are offering your 6pax for weddings, I started with my 85" (a full 8 passenger) and realized that my wedding bookings had out grown my car before I even got it home from Ohio. You may find you are passing on quite a few wedding bookings simply based on seating availability. My top wedding vehicles are the navigator than the 120" and the 85" to fill in the blanks. Wedding parties are averaging 10 and up. Just something to consider.

Oh... you ruined my day skywaves! I really love my car. BUT... you are right. My first and only two trips so far both wanted a larger capacity. I was told go go smaller for insurance cost (and maybe to sell the car), but I am going to take your advice and look at switching up.

2006 Lincoln 6 passenger for sale 163,000 kms Black on Black, nearly perfect all the way around (I'm fussy). IMG_1863.JPG

Asking $22,000.00

Looking for something longer, immediately. (I can't afford to buy till I sell unfortunately).

Any directions to a good car, or if you are interested in this great unit, I'll be glad to share all I know.

Thanks skywaves for the advice. Good advice is not always easy to hear, but best to follow.

Gene.
    Lomousine1.ca

New Operation Sept 2011

Unless you absolutely have to, keep your smaller car for now. It is a great car for a couple or a pair of couples going into the city for dinner, theatre, etc. Work your market harder and sell your dinner/theatre trips with this car. Bigger does come with some disadvantages. Parking them is a nightmare, you will be looking for off street parking, larger parking lots, etc. Driving in the city is interesting as few will give you the room you need on the streets. And then keeping them detailed in and out, like hand polishing a city bus. Don't take this all the wrong way, I do it and love it. I came into the business with no real guidance and fumbled my way along till I got things right and I am still learning. When I go on vacation or to a major centre for business, I book limousine services to see what they do right or wrong and try to find a way to do it better. The business is about service and doing it better than the next one.

Jim

Good tip - Booking in another city to compare service etc. I understand what you are saying about the advantages of the smaller vehicle. However, at this time I can't afford two, and if I have to choose one I guess I'll have to let this little gem go.

I will consider both sides. And, I will consider parking etc too. I am currently thinking to upgrade all the way to SUV... if I can afford it. So much to think about.

Thanks for your honest advice. I appreciate your sharing your experience.

Gene.
    Lomousine1.ca

New Operation Sept 2011

I looked at a 14 passenger Excursion today... and I have a question: There were some stress fractures on the roof. two spots on the driver's side that looked like surface china cracks that run lengthwise, but one about 2 inches long from the luggage type rail (has a tuxedo top on very top) towards ground that is filled with silicone / tar. He says that one did leak a little, but none of the others do. No damage inside. He said they "all do that". It's a 2003 Excursion 38 foot, so I can understand the physics that this is explainable, but wonder if it is something I should run away from screaming, or just par for the course.

I'm still not sure of the SUV idea, but giving it some practical research. I cringe at the thought of parking in the city! But... out here for weddings etc, it would be awesome.

I appreciate any advice you can offer,
    Gene.
    Lomousine1.ca

New Operation Sept 2011

My suv is my most popular limo for weddings based on the overall seating capacity. The gas mileage is something you have to be prepared for, it is not cheap to run. Not as bad as the h2 hummer, but poor mileage around town/city. As for the leak, unless you are able to verify that it is sealed 100 percent and hasn't started some internal rust issues, I would stay away. The excursion is built on a fairly rugged frame and for it to have stressed enough to start hairline cracks leads me to question where it has been. The stress fractures is something that happens continually over time and eventually fatigues the metal enough for it to break. Find yourself another one just to look at to verify that they "all do that". Just looked real close at mine tonight and I have none. Take your time and don't get talked into something that is going to break the bank or cause you headaches to no end.

I will take your advice and look at it very closely, AND look for others to compare or buy instead. If you hear of any, let me know !
    Lomousine1.ca

New Operation Sept 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Limousine1.ca View Post
    I looked at a 14 passenger Excursion today... and I have a question: There were some stress fractures on the roof. two spots on the driver's side that looked like surface china cracks that run lengthwise, but one about 2 inches long from the luggage type rail (has a tuxedo top on very top) towards ground that is filled with silicone / tar. He says that one did leak a little, but none of the others do. No damage inside. He said they "all do that". It's a 2003 Excursion 38 foot, so I can understand the physics that this is explainable, but wonder if it is something I should run away from screaming, or just par for the course.

I'm still not sure of the SUV idea, but giving it some practical research. I cringe at the thought of parking in the city! But... out here for weddings etc, it would be awesome.

I appreciate any advice you can offer,

Gene.
    Run away from this one as fast as you can.

Blog Entries

I use 6 passenger Limousines like my competition uses sedans. I do have super stretchs but I will always run the smaller vehicles they are cheaper and some of my clients would be not be happy if I showed up with the larger vehicles. Oh, before I forget Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by MrQ45Limo; November 12th, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com