Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone successfully using the Lincoln MKT crossover?

Well my 2012 Lincoln MKT arrived today at the dealership and I took delivery of it earlier. I have to say that I can't wait to test the waters in my region with the MKT as I think clients will be very pleased. Not only is there plenty space in the second row, but it is extremely quiet along with having a very nice ride quality. From what I can tell, I will have the first MKT in my region when I begin operations later this month. I optioned mine with the 2nd row refridgerator, quad bucket heated and cooled seats for the 1st and 2nd rows, automatic parallel parking feature, and AWD.

The twin turbocharged V6 also has some major low end kick to it as it pins you to the seat even at half throttle. This is going to make freeway merging a cinch. For 2012, you cannot purchase an MKT with AWD without also opting for the Ecoboost V6. I never understood why Ford would make a wierd decision like this(2011's allowed for AWD with the base Duratec 37 engine), but i'm kind of glad as you get insane low end torque with no turbo lag.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

We are going through the same decision making process as June. We mainly run "L" series and had purchased one of the last new ones. There does not seem to be a consensus on what the replacement vehicle will be for the town car. I have a 2006 L series that I am contemplating on replacing shortly. Majority of operators in our city operate the L series. How many of you actually operate the standard length town car and not the L? In my situation would you replace the L with a standard length towncar or an expedition EL? I have not used the expeditions in our fleet as we mainly use the Chevy suburban. What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

MKT

We evaluated the 2012 Non MKT Town Car Version this past week.

First, let us stress the key safety features on this vehicle are outstanding. First, the directional HID headlamps are crucial to our rural and winding roads in Alabama. The side accident avoidance warning is a great feature. The rear camera and object sensor detected a small post, which would not have been seen by the driver when backing up.

The automatic high beam, again in rural area is a great.

When comparing this vehicle to the Town Car “L Series”, I believe all will agree this vehicle has a superior ride than that of the standard Town Car. So our comparisons are against the “L Series”.

First the ride and passenger comfort on the “L Series” we rate as a 10, on a scale of 1 – 10.

Following opinions on the MKT:

Ride: 5

This is a very hard riding vehicle. For airport transfers, this will work fine for short distances. Long trips, (2 Hrs.) Birmingham to Chattanooga, it will wear you and the passenger out.

Seat comfort: 3

These are hard and uncomfortable. They are not the soft, flat leather we are accustomed to with the Town Car. Being contoured on the MKT, the driver must maneuver into the seat.

Entering and Exiting the Vehicle: 4

This is a difficult vehicle for someone 6 Foot tall and 225+ pounds. The vehicle is closer to the ground and you must maneuver over the threshold. The new MKT Town car will be 1” higher off the ground. Buckling the seat belt is an effort. You must struggle (driver) with the seat belt receptacle and the awkward armrest.

Gas Mileage: 8

We averaged 22 miles per gallon with interstate driving (70 MPH). We averaged about the same with a Town Car. We would have expected something closer to 28 MPG.

Engine Performance: 10

This is an outstanding V6 engine. It does outperform the V8 engine.

Reclining second row bench seat: 8

Although this is not available in the Town Car, it is a great feature in the MKT.

Will we purchase one of the MKT Town Cars? Yes. We feel the safety features outweigh some of the inconveniences. One side note, we have had problems with our drivers allowing the luggage to drag across the rear bumper of our current Town Car. The design of the new bumper on the MKT is horrible. The lip of the bumper protrudes where it is impossible to not scratch the rear bumper with luggage or golf clubs.

I thought the ride quality was pretty good. Were you driving an MKT with the 19 or option 20 inch rims? The ride is definately firmer when compared to the Town Cars that i've rode in before, but it isn't harsh. The ride and handling appear to be much more confidence inspiring as well as you feel like you are in better control despite the MKT being 700-800lbs heavier than the LCT.

The seats definately appear to be harder and more performance inspired than the thick bubbly flat seats in the LCT, but it does appear to have a better driving position that would not induce fatigue as easily as it sits more like a stool. I will definately agree that the driver does need to maneuvre into the seat versus in the LCT where you can just slide into it.

As for taller people, I figured that this would be easier than the LCT because it is a little higher off the ground. The 2nd row has nice giant doors that made it pretty easy for a friend of our family to get in and out of. I took him out for dinner just to get his opinion on seat entry and exit since he is 80, has both knees and hips replaced, and walks with a cane due to his age.

Out of curiosity, which engine were you driving in your evaluation of the 2013 MKT? I thought that FWD was only available with the 2.0 litre Ecoboost V6, while AWD was available with the Duratec 37 V6. 22mpg in a vehicle like that would have been excellent considering that we are talking about a nearly 5000lb crossover. I am currently getting 16-17mpg in my AWD twinturbo V6, but I also have less than 100 miles on the odometer right now.

As for the rear bumper, I am hoping that we will see bumper protectors hit the market for the livery industry just like i've seen being sold for the LCT. That rear bumper is definately a bit goofy. I hope all of you guys decide to adopt the MKT simply because it will make it easier for a new startup like me who is taking a risk by jumping onto a new vehicle that is unproven.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    MKT

We evaluated the 2012 Non MKT Town Car Version this past week.

First, let us stress the key safety features on this vehicle are outstanding. First, the directional HID headlamps are crucial to our rural and winding roads in Alabama. The side accident avoidance warning is a great feature. The rear camera and object sensor detected a small post, which would not have been seen by the driver when backing up.

The automatic high beam, again in rural area is a great.

When comparing this vehicle to the Town Car “L Series”, I believe all will agree this vehicle has a superior ride than that of the standard Town Car. So our comparisons are against the “L Series”.

First the ride and passenger comfort on the “L Series” we rate as a 10, on a scale of 1 – 10.

Following opinions on the MKT:

Ride: 5

This is a very hard riding vehicle. For airport transfers, this will work fine for short distances. Long trips, (2 Hrs.) Birmingham to Chattanooga, it will wear you and the passenger out.

Seat comfort: 3

These are hard and uncomfortable. They are not the soft, flat leather we are accustomed to with the Town Car. Being contoured on the MKT, the driver must maneuver into the seat.

Entering and Exiting the Vehicle: 4

This is a difficult vehicle for someone 6 Foot tall and 225+ pounds. The vehicle is closer to the ground and you must maneuver over the threshold. The new MKT Town car will be 1” higher off the ground. Buckling the seat belt is an effort. You must struggle (driver) with the seat belt receptacle and the awkward armrest.

Gas Mileage: 8

We averaged 22 miles per gallon with interstate driving (70 MPH). We averaged about the same with a Town Car. We would have expected something closer to 28 MPG.

Engine Performance: 10

This is an outstanding V6 engine. It does outperform the V8 engine.

Reclining second row bench seat: 8

Although this is not available in the Town Car, it is a great feature in the MKT.

Will we purchase one of the MKT Town Cars? Yes. We feel the safety features outweigh some of the inconveniences. One side note, we have had problems with our drivers allowing the luggage to drag across the rear bumper of our current Town Car. The design of the new bumper on the MKT is horrible. The lip of the bumper protrudes where it is impossible to not scratch the rear bumper with luggage or golf clubs.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

Blog Entries

The MKT we evaluated is your basic rental car from Budget.

Budget rents MKT's? Wow!
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Absolutely. They've rented Town Cars all this time, so...
    Karl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Absolutely. They've rented Town Cars all this time, so...
    I suppose Budget must differ by region. In my area, they are more or less known for renting cheap high mileage cars at small discount compared to the kings of the industry like Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise. While the big fleets tend to change cars on average around 24-33k miles, a buddy of mine who rents from Budget has gotten a car with well over 40k miles on a few occasions. Then again, i'm sure it is because of the markets in my region since I have never heard of Enterprise or the others renting very many expensive cars.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
    I have never heard of Enterprise or the others renting very many expensive cars.

Actually Enterprise has a lot of luxury cars in their fleet. Enterprise has national contracts with most of the car manufacturers to back up the local dealers with rentals when the dealers need service loaner cars.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

~Stupidity might be hereditary, but ignorance should be painful!~

www.citylimosales.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick E. View Post
    Actually Enterprise has a lot of luxury cars in their fleet. Enterprise has national contracts with most of the car manufacturers to back up the local dealers with rentals when the dealers need service loaner cars.
    In my region, they don't carry very many luxury cars. Now i'm not sure about the airport, but I rent Enterprise all the time and have never been able to find them with anything other than a "premium" sedan in stock. A premium sedan is usually a Chevy Impala or Crown Vic type vehicle. A few locations have large SUV's, but that is it. The Cincinnati region is pretty dull in a way. I've heard of companies like Hertz carrying all sorts of exotic rental cars in some parts of the US.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
    In my region, they don't carry very many luxury cars. Now i'm not sure about the airport, but I rent Enterprise all the time and have never been able to find them with anything other than a "premium" sedan in stock. A premium sedan is usually a Chevy Impala or Crown Vic type vehicle. A few locations have large SUV's, but that is it. The Cincinnati region is pretty dull in a way. I've heard of companies like Hertz carrying all sorts of exotic rental cars in some parts of the US.
    I would definitely say that the type of car that you get varies by market...I use National & Alamo exclusively (both of which are owned by Enterprise), and find their car selections pretty good (based on my experiences at BOS, MCO, DEN, SFO, LAX, and SAN), premium cars I've had have included Maximas, Buick Regal (new 2011 version), Lincoln MKX, Chrysler 300, Toyota Avalon, Ford Taurus SEL, Ford Flex, Volvo S40 & S60, Hyundai Genesis...Luxury cars from National have included Infinitis, CTS's, MKS, DTS & Town Cars...I have noticed that at smaller airports, the selection can be sparse though.