Thread: Is anyone using CLOUD computing?

Default Is anyone using CLOUD computing?

I am looking for anyone that has information about cloud computing that might be using it and willing to talk to me about it.

Let me know please.....
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Jim, Cloud computing is basically a terminology for hosted software. LimoAnywhere has basically been a type of "cloud" software for years. I think the term came from Microsoft when they installed hosted servers around the country.

I have just one client that has their site hosted on a Cloud environment, Pretty easy, interact with primary server, and the servers automatically sync up other servers with the same data. Only issue I had from a developer standpoint, there are multiple log files, one for each server, so that took me a little bit to figure out why I wasn't seeing what I was expecting. I haven't played with testing how fast data/files propagate out yet though.

Cloud computing can mean more than a something hosted from a server. It can also refer to a network of servers where the same information is available from multiple locations, not only for redundancy, but also to the user will get connected to the server that is close based upon connectivity. (ex, if there is a server in LA, Texas, and NY, I would get the NY one, people closer to LA would connect to the one out there.)

-Greg

Blog Entries

I am moving into changing my reservation system from an inhouse Fastrak Server to the cloud from Oct 1.

Thanks guys. I am confused Greg about your response. Are you not a limo operator? When you say you have one client using cloud computing, is this one of your limo clients?

Wade, I took a class at the show in Vegas and found out about cloud computing. It is much more than software. All of our data is now on cloud computing but we don't use FastTrak's cloud version of the software. That portion is still on a server here. But our Word docs, Excel spreadsheets etc. all reside on Google cloud computers and can be accessed from any computer, anywhere at any time by anyone that has access.

Jess, I wish you were doing it sooner as my article will be in the November issue and I have to be done with it in 15 days but would love to find out more about what made you decide to move that direction.

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Jim have you downloaded the Fasttrak Cloud demo yet and tried it out? It seemed to be very slow to me compared to LimoAnywhere which is also a hosted solution. I am sure Eddie will work out those issues as time goes by. That new Fasttrak visual dispatch screen is a killer.

Another note is that you can run your business from an ipad if your system is cloud based.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    I am confused Greg about your response. Are you not a limo operator? When you say you have one client using cloud computing, is this one of your limo clients?
    Jim, nope, I'm an "outsider", a web application developer. I came here years ago when I was maintaining a website for a local (at the time) limo company, and stuck around ever since then. All the things I learned here taught me who I was doing work for, well not the best practices to run a professional business and ended my thoughts of partnering with someone to start our own after learning what all is required to do it right. I try to chime in with the areas I know of to help give back to the community for all I have learned here.

-Greg

Blog Entries

We are expending by two more reservation staff and instead of getting a faster, bigger server and then networking, it will be cheaper just to buy a h/p pc for $500 from Office Depot and run Fastrak on the cloud. All I have to do is to network the internet and printer. You do not need an IT guy since I can do that myself. And if the pc goes bad, throw it away and buy another one and you so not have to call Eddie(fastrak) to network the fastrak system to that pc again.

Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    We are expending by two more reservation staff and instead of getting a faster, bigger server and then networking, it will be cheaper just to buy a h/p pc for $500 from Office Depot and run Fastrak on the cloud. All I have to do is to network the internet and printer. You do not need an IT guy since I can do that myself. And if the pc goes bad, throw it away and buy another one and you so not have to call Eddie(fastrak) to network the fastrak system to that pc again.
    How is the fastrak working out for you?
    Elegant Knights Limo-Party Bus
    http://getonthebusandpartywithus.com/

Blog Entries

We are going to make our second attempt on using the iCloud for Airport Arrivals and Departures. Out first attempt, we experienced thunderstorms in the iCloud. Using iPads and Apple's Numbers, it works very well to color code the arrivals and departures. It is also easy to update delayed flights and changes. We believe we have a better system the second time around. The main advantage is one person can push data to the other iPads automatically.

If anyone still wants to learn about the Google Cloud let me know, I used to work for a Google Apps reseller and know a lot about the pros and cons of cloud computing. What is everyone using nowadays for logging customer contact information, job scheduling/invoices, and a calendar? Does quickbooks allow me to do all of this or strictly contact information and invoicing?

Lots of security issues with the cloud, most companies have pulled out after the last week articles, including apple. bad idea
    A1 Chicago Limo & Car Service
    www.a1-chicago.com

Quote Originally Posted by A1chicagolimo View Post
    Lots of security issues with the cloud, most companies have pulled out after the last week articles, including apple. bad idea
    What planet are you from?

The security issue with Apple was a problem with their customer support department giving out some CC information. There was nothing wrong with the actual technology of the cloud itself. Apple is still using its iCloud. I'm afraid your eyeglasses may be clouded over.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service