Thread: California Permit

Post California Permit

I am not a limo company but i would like to use my limo to offer rides for my clients (music business). From what i have read it looks like i need a "Z permit" Most of the time its going to be for free but once in a while i might want to charge them. Can i charge my customers with a "Z permit" ? or do i need to get the "P permit" to charge? what is the main difference ? which one do you recommend.

Thanks

I can't remember what a z permit is for, but most have a p permit if your limo seats less than 15.

You should go to the CA PUC website and look it up. Click on Transportation then click on Passenger Carriers and then click on Basic Informatoin For Passenger Carriers. Scroll down and you will find info on all certificates and permits. It's a pretty expensive and complicated process to just be able to give your friends an occasional ride.

Default Z Permit is correct

Even though you may charge, the charge must be to someone in the industry you serve. The vehicle must not be available to the general public for charter. This would be a violation of the Z permit. However, you could collect money from someone. Specifically, let's say you have an exclusive contract with ABC Records to provide transportation for it's artists and executives for a fee. You could legally take money from them and they would be your only customer. You must have a contract in place with those you provide service for an absolutely may not accept any money from anyone you do not have a written agreement with.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Why wouldn't you just take a P permit and have all the bases covered?

Think of a Z-permit like this... it's all about providing transportation incidental to another business.
    Karl Jones