Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LCT At It Again! Top 100 List A Fraud

No, the digest never has had a top 50 - 75- 100 operator list that I can recall. In the fact book, it has numbers and equipment percentages of what the industry is using. Thats all.

The problem I have with publishing anything, is watch dogs keep the media honest about what they print as much as possible. I guess this is what is going on here. Why the LCT or any publication would print information with out willing to make corrections to printed makes them reckless.

Jim, I know you interviewed 5 operators about their fleet. I know for a fact that Executive in Las Vegas, the numbers of the fleet is true. I spent a year and a half there and this is so. Great job, Great story. Using the Jimmersons as an example, because their fleet numbers are correct, shouldn't they have the right to be on a fleet list that is accurate? Sadly, the rest of the list is made of cheese. Swiss!

I know for a fact that Action Limousines in Houston, his printed fleet numbers are incorrect. The correct number is somewhere around 30 which means he would not even had made the top 100 list. He does not have enough cars. I am using this as an example. I am not attacking Phil Khalil. Also, I must post that there are operators that wish not to be included in this study for what ever reason. So many other operators with large fleets are not here. This effects the numbers also. There are so many missing items that makes this study imprecise and incorrect.

The title of the LCT mag July 2007 reads, "Who's this year's BIG Cheese?" They forgot to add the word "Baloney". It needs to be added somewhere in the title.

This industry has many problems and issues in regards to survival to have this type of crap
    getting in the way of real issues, personally, I would like to see the LCT stop printing this stuff every year and spend more time on State issues and protect legal and legitimate operators. Jim, you missed the GCLA meeting in LA on the 11th. I was looking forward to talking with you. The California Limousine Operators are in need of help at LAX and with the ARB. Coach builders are geting fined by the ARB and who are they anyway to attack the Limousine industry. This is news worthy stuff. A magazine can put pressure on these goverment thugs and put them away. This Top 100 list even lacks the entertainment quality for me to even laugh.

Jim, I am with you in the support of the Limousine Industry. Sara knows this! Again, getting the profession of the industry to where it needs to be will take alot of work. Print usable information on those pages! This is what this industry needs.

Originally posted by Dean Schuler:
    Going forward we need to look at the important figures for our businesses such as profit per unit, company profits, miles without an at-fault accident,etc. Templates for best practices need to be available to all industry members. The networks, veteran operators and the twenty groups do a good job of spelling out the proper percentage of each expense. Some of the consultants know to the cent what operators should be spending.
    The Veteran Operator's are best at pocketing cash jobs. True financials will never be disclosed.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Originally posted by D. Hartson:
    The problem I have with publishing anything, is watch dogs keep the media honest about what they print as much as possible. I guess this is what is going on here. Why the LCT or any publication would print information with out willing to make corrections to printed makes them reckless.
    The real problem is the arrogance of LCT & the National Lackey Association & their belief that the Industry is just composed of gulible retards. Surprise, Surprise, maybe why a majority (including very large operations) can give 2 shits about flying the NLA logo.

Ha, you Gunny calling the magazine arrogant? Hmmm, what is that saying about calling the kettle black? Better grab a mirror Sgt. Arrogant.

Dave, I did miss the meeting even though I intended to be there. The stars did not line up and I had one problem after another getting out of town until about 3:00pm I made the decision I would not attend.

I have been in Los Angeles all weekend and did meet with CARB officials on Friday for an article I am writing. I met with their PIO. I am staying at the Peninsula in Beverly Hills also as part of an upcoming article on providing upscale service for upscale hotels and more particularly the loading of passengers for the Emmy's tonight.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Originally posted by Limo Scene:
    Ha, you Gunny calling the magazine arrogant? Hmmm, what is that saying about calling the kettle black? Better grab a mirror Sgt. Arrogant.
    That's Gunnery Sergeant Arrogant to you sweet pea!

Interesting comment. In my business we do not accept cash for services.
    Originally posted by gunny:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dean Schuler:
    Going forward we need to look at the important figures for our businesses such as profit per unit, company profits, miles without an at-fault accident,etc. Templates for best practices need to be available to all industry members. The networks, veteran operators and the twenty groups do a good job of spelling out the proper percentage of each expense. Some of the consultants know to the cent what operators should be spending.
    The Veteran Operator's are best at pocketing cash jobs. True financials will never be disclosed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dean Schuler

Interesting comment. In my business we do not accept cash for services.
    \

Why those long car operators love Proms, Weddings & Hourlys.

Have a good time in LA Jim. Go Green!!!! Toyota Limousines....Hmmmmm just doesn't seem right.

After much investigation it has been discovered who put the Top 100 list together & verified the figures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chicago Operations in the Top-100

Truth In Advertising

A1 Limousine Service - Fleet Claim, 205
    From their website:
    "We are one of the largest limousine services in the area named among the top 10 in the United States"
    "Through the years we have grown to reach numbers well over 200 vehicles"
    "In fact for the last three years, we have been ranked in the top ten of North America's Largest Companies by LCT (Limousine and Chauffeured Transportation Magazine)"

A-1 is an Independent Operator base business. They really push the Top-100 thing. Too bad NYC based Operations with 900 IO's didn't submit to the bogus count.

Smart Cars - Fleet Claim, 63
    From their website:
    "Smart Cars has grown from a sedan-only operation, to one that utilizes almost every type of vehicle"

Smart Cars also is an Independent Operator based business.

Windy City, fleet claim 47
    Advertisement in LCT 07/07:
    "We have all types of equipment; L Series Sedans, Limousines, SUV's (stretched as well), Executive Vans, 9-14 Passenger Vans,......."
    "Windy City Limousine was proud to be named a top emerging company last year, is prouder still to be in the "Top 100 Fleets" in LCT Magazine"

Windy City shows zero registered vehicles on Illinois VFH DMV records. They also use IO's to provide the service they sell.

West Suburban Travelers Limousine, fleet claim, 135
    Off their website:
    "Each vehicle is independently owned and operated, meaning you'll be treated not as just another ride, but as an important part of your driver's business"

Finally Truth in advertising! Maybe WST submitted their numbers late because it just didn't feel right to claim other businesses as part of their fleet?

O'Hare-Midway Limousine, fleet claim 100
    Off their website:
    "O'Hare-Midway Limousine Service has an extensive fleet of impeccably maintained late model stretch limousines and sedans"
    "Each of our 90 vehicles is fully equipped with all amenities"

The count off the Illinois DMV records shows 87 vehicles registered to O-M. The 3 or 13 is not important. What is important to note is that the DMV record shows O-M having a registered fleet that they must make the nut every month just like the small operators/IO's must. O-M with an actual fleet placed lower in the LCT standings due to Operators claiming IO's as a fleet count.

Also in the count is AMM'S with a claimed fleet size of 53. The DMV records shows 54 vehicles "registered" to AMM's indicating AMM's truthfullness plus the accuracy of the DMV List.

You'll never know the truth because so much can be fabricated and embelished. I don't care either. Now- a list of the best service, drivers, equipment, customer service, phone answering, booking and over all experience, done by many independent agency's, would be interesting.

Bottom line- I care about my business and ONLY my business. I heard the remarks this weekend of who's going under and who's buying new cars. GOOD FOR BOTH OF THEM! It puts no money in my pocket either way.

Gunny, Thanks for your work on the subject. It must have been a lot of work to chase those ghosts!

As for FORD- I think they should stay out of it, even as a sponsor. They need to keep a better eye on the manufacturing end so all these new cars quit having so many problems!

Originally posted by Blue Diamond:
    You'll never know the truth because so much can be fabricated and embelished. I don't care either. Now- a list of the best service, drivers, equipment, customer service, phone answering, booking and over all experience, done by many independent agency's, would be interesting.
    Even this would be subject to scrutiny as operators would send in the "I love me" applications ala "Operator Of The Year" & he who does the most ass kissing wins.

Originally posted by gunny:
    This is the story of Limo Jim (LJ). LJ in his youth decides to get into the limo biz and he breaks his ass every single day building his business. You name it, he's on top of it. Purchasing fleet vehicles, promoting, offfice staff growing from momma & LJ to 3 dispatchers, purchasing a building to house the fleet, maintenance, driver's pay & coverages, licensing etc., LJ dedicates his life to this business venture. After 20 years, LJ has himself a fleet of 20 vehicles & he is proud of what he has accomplished. A strong business that provides a good income for his family & self.

Then one day LCT arrives in the mailbox with a Headline screaming, "Ford Presents 100 Largest Fleets In 2007". Now what does FORD have to do with LCT's 100 is something else for discussion.

LJ takes a gander & wonders what the hell he is doing wrong. Here are Industry Newbs that he's really never even heard of, in business for a couple of years & they're claiming fleet sizes of 100 & up.

This is for the LJ's out there as we unravel the truth behind the "Top 100".
    ------------------------------------------------

Every year LCT runs a "Top 100" issue whereas Operators submit numbers to LCT & they accept it as Gospel & put it to print. This year a couple of us decided do our own research by going to the licensing source & inquire to the size fleets registered by these Top 100.

Sources include PUC's, VFH DMV listings, the NYCTLC website, Miami-Dade Consumer Services & so on. Unfortunately, local permitting agencies can only provide how many permits are issued to the Operator & not the actual number of vehicles registered.

Left out of the survey was the top 3 as these are multiple city operations & the simple Industry knowledge that Carey International uses affiliates who themselves are seperate corporate entities in their own state of operation & the fleet size claim should automatically be disqualified.

As with Limo Jim, the goal is to find out how many ponies does the operation have in the barn. That is, LJ's vehicles are registered to LJ & if LJ put the business on the market for sale included in that sale would be those 20 vehicles & not just a portfolio of clients & a telephone listing of Independent Operators who provide the movement of people.

Or, to put it another way, what is the reported to the IRS. How many vehicles, fuel receipts, vehicle maintenance, insurance etc., are claimed as a business deduction?

So far our research has uncovered the following. Listed is the Operator followed by the LCT No. then the research No.. If anyone wants to know the research source for a particular operator, post it & I'll provide it:

Metro (Mi) 310/19
    Presidential 88/41
    Diamond 73/15
    Valera 211/0
    Diva 206/79
    LeGrande Affaire 160/56
    Bauer's 144/79
    Aventura 119/48
    Farrels 105/82
    Rudy's 102/104
    O'Hare 100/71
    Hy's 94/66
    Wynne 90/20
    London Town Cars 77/76
    A Premier 67/43
    Capricorn 65/43
    VIP 63/63
    Smart Cars 63/0
    Lifestyle 63/49
    Corporate Connection 62/11
    El Paseo 61/39
    American Limos 59/19
    Above All 54/17
    BKTT 50/35
    Westwind 53/8
    Action 48/30
    Reliable 64/53
    Tennessee 70/34
    Eagle 81/71
    WST* 135/0

*Added to listing in Septembers Issue

Absent from the Top 100 because they probably don't really care is MEARS out of Orlando. MEARS, based on the Orlando VFH permit listing is one of the strongest single city operators going with 310 permits + scores of over-the-road motor coaches not requiring Orlando VFH permits.

This has become an Annual Sporting Event !
    Dean Schuler

This has become an Annual Sporting Event !
    Like hunting wabbits?