Thread: Questions about driving Black Car in NYC

Default Questions about driving Black Car in NYC

Good day everyone, this my first post here.

I was recently laid off an office job and it might take me a while to find a new one, so decided to drive a black TLC sedan as the way to make ends meet. I did it a while back while in college about 12 years ago and it payed my bills, but it looks like many things have changed since then. As I understand it is mandatory to have a TLC license now, companies will never hire you without one. So, I am working on that right now, seems like a pretty straightforward process, kinda useless and annoying as pretty much everything in NY.-)))

What are the better companies to work for in NYC? The ones which have plenty of work and don't screw you over in the end? Where are places to rent a Town Car for work? What are the usual rates for that and what is the amount of the deposit? How much are you supposed to pay for radio use? (btw, do livery drivers still use radios in NYC? I was based in Europe for a while and there it seems that the drivers there communicate to the base strictly over their smart phones the whole process of getting the order seems to be pretty automated. ) Any new specifics of the trade, which appeared in the past few years?

All answers will be greatly appreciated!

(Moderator, if you feel that my questions are posted in the inappropriate section of the forum, plz move it, don't ban me straight away, because I am new to the forum and sure about all the rules.)

We're based out of Connecticut so I'm not too sure about the procedures in NY yet what I recommend you do is when driving by a gas station or the airport or something along those lines, you'll more than likely find a black limo some where. Find someone to talk to and ask away! The cell phone parking lots are probably the best places - located at the most a mile away from most airports like JFK and LGA
    Connecticut Limousine Service By Shady's - Travelling to CT? Visit our Connecticut Airport Service page for more information. We provide luxury, corporate and executive limousine services for all occasions and celebrations! Call us today for an affordable limousine in Connecticut.

Default Black Car News

Look up Black Car News online, it a magazine( both printed & online ) for the black car industry in New York and is fully of company's looking for drivers with their own cars.... plus lot's of other stuff as well..
    best of luck
    Myles Flood
    Limos for Less
    www.lflcs.com
    www.limosforless.ie
    Dublin's Award Winning Limousine Service.

Many thanks to both of you! Sounds totally reasonable, I will do so ASAP!!!!!!

have you ever thought about westchester county for a limo job.those black tlc town cars you see at jfk all the time are always look so beat up and they are only used as being a quik ride to the airport.in westchester theres more money and customers will be in the car longer because there there farther away in manhatten.i could be wrong and you should double check but you can still go to new york city,you just cant pu in ny going to aother part of ny as long as either you pu or drop in westchester you should be ok

Thank you Edwinslimo, I will definitely check out Westchester county as well. The only problem is that I am familiar with Manhattan and the other boroghs, but LI and Upstate have always been a mystery to me. However, it seems that a lot work is originated from there and many smaller companies seem to start from there.

Blog Entries

Get yourself a reliable GPS and be sure to map out your trips beforehand and most areas should not ever be a mystery!

i understand your point,when i moved from massachusetts to vermont it took a lot of swallowing pride and frustration of learning a new area.i would definatley check things out before moving.remember yonkers is a stones throw from the bronx so are the pelhams you dont have to go all the way to white plains.also if westchester is that unfamiliar to you why not go to fairfield county,ct thats chauffeur heaven