Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: iPhone as a wifi spot

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Default deleted

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast View Post
    Like I said before I am paying for all the data I am using I am using it the way I want to. So no its not at all like a client not wanting to pay for overtime. Its more like a client paying for an hourly charter and me telling then where they can and cant go.
    The example I was trying to give is of someone wanting to use more of a service than you as the provider area allowing them to use. In general, as like Tim mentioned, mobile use is streamlined to try to send less data to a the client devices, where as full blown computer use does eat up more. The boundaries are slowly diminishing on this anymore, which is why more and more providers are starting to set hard limits (ie. like I mentioned AT&T now caps DSL use at 150gigs per month, for my current use, in another month I'll be having to pay them roughly and extra $50/month)

The companies do have their reasons beyond just trying to get more money, when it comes to broadband use, they learned the hard way just letting everyone use what they can eventually affects more customers the more that get signed up. Where I used to live was one of the first places to have Road Runner service for broadband. Used to be, you go whatever you could get down the pipe (cable). Then the more people who got the service the slower you went. So they started throttling back the speed to happy medium to find a good balance.

No matter who provides the service, they still have to try to keep things even for everyone, and make sure their costs are covered. As an example, I provide shared web hosting, and have a client who needs to host privately some training videos. While the servers I run has plenty of speed and storage and a good allowance of monthly traffic, I'm having to suggest he either have to rent their own dedicated server or pay for a service that allows videos for private commercial use. As a business owner, I have my fixed costs of my servers and what they can provide. two things I do not want. 1. at the end of the month, a higher bill for going over my bandwidth limits (which I would then have to pass on to the clients who went over their limits), but more importantly, 2. I don't want other clients websites responding slow because one client has 30 customers who just finished a seminar that are all at once trying to grab the related videos.

(Hint, for those who look at hosting costs, all those "unlimited" plans out there, you read the fine print, jsut about all of them have terms that say they can either cancel you, or throttle your use if they detect you are interfering with other clients, they count on the huge majority of clients to use a reasonable amount)

At the end of the day, I hope you take my messages for the what they are meant to be, to help you learn and understand better from the other side of the coin, not meant to criticize you.

-Greg
    Last edited by Greg K; June 22nd, 2011 at 10:20 AM.

This thread turned a little strange but I'm still curious about a wifi hotspot in the car. Is it popular with your clients? Is it worth doing?
    Many people have their own smartphone and maybe don't need it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Olivos Limo View Post
    This thread turned a little strange but I'm still curious about a wifi hotspot in the car. Is it popular with your clients? Is it worth doing?
    Many people have their own smartphone and maybe don't need it now.
    I have been testing my 4G hotspot for exactly 1 week and I have had 2 customers use it and talk about it being a great feature. Now, honestly, I am a little selfish on this one and I got it for me so that I can more quickly close out trips for payment from my iPad and enter reservations in a more timely matter. Also, I have a Netflix subscription and if I have some downtime waiting on a flight at the airport, I stream a TV show or movie across the 4G and it works flawlessly. I love it.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

As far as jailbreaking an iphone.. if that's the only option you've got, then by all means DO IT! You have nothing to worry about as far as voiding the warranty. First of all, it's totally legal to jailbreak your phone (with tethering option so you'd accomplish the hot spot feature) yet in the case of the phone needing service, then i recommend that you just do a simple restore right before taking the phone to at&t or verizon and they will not have a clue what happened. Good luck!
    Connecticut Limousine Service By Shady's - Travelling to CT? Visit our Connecticut Airport Service page for more information. We provide luxury, corporate and executive limousine services for all occasions and celebrations! Call us today for an affordable limousine in Connecticut.

Quote Originally Posted by CT Limousine By Shady's View Post
    As far as jailbreaking an iphone.. if that's the only option you've got, then by all means DO IT! You have nothing to worry about as far as voiding the warranty. First of all, it's totally legal to jailbreak your phone (with tethering option so you'd accomplish the hot spot feature) yet in the case of the phone needing service, then i recommend that you just do a simple restore right before taking the phone to at&t or verizon and they will not have a clue what happened. Good luck!
    I find it amusing that your name is "Shady."
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Banned
    9626 E Arkansas place Denver Colorado 80247

if you want to pay alot the jailbreak for the hotpot or you can just buy a hotpot from sprint or tmobile etc

Banned
    9626 E Arkansas place Denver Colorado 80247

hotspot mistake there sorry

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    I find it amusing that your name is "Shady."
    Too funny, Tim!

I missed months of this thread and just caught up(thanks to Karim).

Jail breaking and tethering seem like a cool thing to do depending on your rationing/morals. But technically, I would guess is is "illegal" according to signed contracts. But J walking is illegal also. Either way, I decided I shouldn't jail break and it is what it is.

I left Sprint(for lack of service at my old house) and went with and iphone 4 with Verizon. I signed up just in time to be grandfathered in on their unlimited data plan and I'm super happy so far. My old Blackberry has nothing on my iphone and the service with Verizon is noticeably better than Sprint(better than AT&T, and T Mobile also).

But even after borrowing a Verizon 4g card for my laptop, I decided that it's way too slow and I had to go with high speed broadband with AT&T Uverse(for my home computer and laptop(at home).
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

This was definately an interesting thread. Rather than start a new thread, I was curious how much bandwidth you guys go through for those who offer a mobile hotspot for your clients. I recently purchased a Samsung Stratosphere 4G smart phone and signed up for the mobile hotspot. Of course I can't understand why they make you pay extra when you are still alotted a certain about of bandwidth each month. My current plan from Costco through Verizon gives me 6gb of bandwidth per month.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

Congress actually passed a law months back contrary to the wishes of phone manufacturers and the carriers that it was legal for a user to jailbreak a phone that is locked down by a carrier. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/27/te.../27iphone.html As long as applications are lawfully obtained, what you do with your phone, is your business. If that includes tethering than that is legal too.If you guys want to get in to real technicalities... Even Apple "steals" data from the carriers using its new messaging app which bypasses a carrier's ability to charge for SMS messages. Carriers aren't entirely innocent either... There is in fact a cap on unlimited data on Verizon and AT&T, I forget where it was but iirc(going back 3 years) it was 8gb... If you continuously hit that cap, you were moved to a different plan that was no longer unlimited. I only know this as I had users frequently hitting that cap on iPhones when I managed 20k+ lines for a major medical manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Levine View Post
    Too funny, Tim!I missed months of this thread and just caught up(thanks to Karim).Jail breaking and tethering seem like a cool thing to do depending on your rationing/morals. But technically, I would guess is is "illegal" according to signed contracts. But J walking is illegal also. Either way, I decided I shouldn't jail break and it is what it is.I left Sprint(for lack of service at my old house) and went with and iphone 4 with Verizon. I signed up just in time to be grandfathered in on their unlimited data plan and I'm super happy so far. My old Blackberry has nothing on my iphone and the service with Verizon is noticeably better than Sprint(better than AT&T, and T Mobile also).But even after borrowing a Verizon 4g card for my laptop, I decided that it's way too slow and I had to go with high speed broadband with AT&T Uverse(for my home computer and laptop(at home).

The best way to explain this is... You buy a limo from a manufacturer, that manufacturer has built in ALL of the options one could ever want but you would have to pay them to unlock the bar, or the stereo. You aren't stealing anything, the car has been built with the accessory, but the dealer wants to charge you to use them. In the past these have not been included in phones and you had to buy seperate hardware(like a gps puck on an early release blackberry curve)

Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Congress actually passed a law months back contrary to the wishes of phone manufacturers and the carriers that it was legal for a user to jailbreak a phone that is locked down by a carrier. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/27/te.../27iphone.html As long as applications are lawfully obtained, what you do with your phone, is your business. If that includes tethering than that is legal too.If you guys want to get in to real technicalities... Even Apple "steals" data from the carriers using its new messaging app which bypasses a carrier's ability to charge for SMS messages. Carriers aren't entirely innocent either... There is in fact a cap on unlimited data on Verizon and AT&T, I forget where it was but iirc(going back 3 years) it was 8gb... If you continuously hit that cap, you were moved to a different plan that was no longer unlimited. I only know this as I had users frequently hitting that cap on iPhones when I managed 20k+ lines for a major medical manufacturer
    Nice to know about the jail breaking.

As far as the "unlimited" being limited to 8gb, I have a real problem with that. I don't care if they hid something in the small print and I actually signed it. They advertised "unlimited" and that's what I expect to get.

Sprint pulled some BS with me when i was with them and I dropped em like a bad habit and switched to Verizon. I was grandfathered in with unlimited data on my laptop and they tried to force me to switch without my authorization. Sprint's customer service(AT&T & T mobile as well) is such a clusterf**k and a waste of time.

So far with Verizon, I haven't even had to deal with their customer service.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net