Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ac Problems

Default Ac Problems

It has been extremely hot in Memphis, I'm having a problem with my limo overheating after driving it during the mist of the day, it will almost touch the red side and I have to shut it down to cool off. But it only happens when I turn the rear a/c on and during the 10am-5pm hours of the day. My mechanic replace a fan motor that is for the rear a/c and it only comes on when it is engaged. I was told by ask a mechanic to go to an heavy duty radiator the one the cops drive down here. Also when lifting my hood to see if anything is overheating there is no sign of smoking or boiling. I can drive my limo at night without it overheating or anything. Has anybody had this problem, I just might have to cut down on the hot times of the day. We also clean the condensers also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boddie60 View Post
    It has been extremely hot in Memphis, I'm having a problem with my limo overheating after driving it during the mist of the day, it will almost touch the red side and I have to shut it down to cool off. But it only happens when I turn the rear a/c on and during the 10am-5pm hours of the day. My mechanic replace a fan motor that is for the rear a/c and it only comes on when it is engaged. I was told by ask a mechanic to go to an heavy duty radiator the one the cops drive down here. Also when lifting my hood to see if anything is overheating there is no sign of smoking or boiling. I can drive my limo at night without it overheating or anything. Has anybody had this problem, I just might have to cut down on the hot times of the day. We also clean the condensers also.

Thanks
    Wash the outside of the radiator. Make sure the fins of the radiator are clean and free of bugs, leaves, that cotton tree crap from cottonwood trees, etc. It is a common problem that results in no opening for free, cooler air to get through the radiator.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

What Tim said also since it only happens when the rear A/C is on check to see if the auxillary cooling fan for the rear condensor is operating. It should be located in front of the radiator and you can see it if you look up under the front of the car.

Blog Entries

Wade is right, most of the newer limos have two smaller fans or one bigger fan for the condensor mounted behind the grill. I assume it is a lincoln town car limo. With the hood open, you can easily see if the fan is working in front of the radiator.

We just put a new auxillary cooling fan in the front, for the rear a/c and it is working just fine, Im sorry I didn't tell you guys what kind of limo it is, well its a Dodge Charger Limo 2007,I had all my fan checked and they are all working. Thank you so much for your input.

There are some cooling system additives that we used when we were racing. We used it when we ran the one mile dirt tracks. The dirt would plug up the radiators . The additive would give you a 10 to 20 degree cooler temp. You can get it from most speed shops like Jegs or Summit .

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    There are some cooling system additives that we used when we were racing. We used it when we ran the one mile dirt tracks. The dirt would plug up the radiators . The additive would give you a 10 to 20 degree cooler temp. You can get it from most speed shops like Jegs or Summit .
    The folks down at Manex recommend something called Polar Zone additive. I trust the Texas a/c experts !
    FAIRFAX LIMO - Northern Virginia and Washington DC Limo Service

Lincoln TC (Executive) - multiple
    Lincoln TC (Executive L) - multiple
    Lincoln TC 100" Stretch by US Coachworks
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by DaBryan
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Krystal (2)
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Executive
    Lincoln TC 72" Stretch by Krystal
    Ford Excursion 180" by Legendary
    Hummer H2 200" by Krystal
    Hummer H2 180" by Craftsmen
    K33 Limobus/Party Bus (F550) by Krystal

Fairfax Limo also offers Virginia Wine Tours

Manix rings a bell . I dont remember the name of the product The stuff we used worked . We also used a spray on product that kept the mud from sticking to things. It worked pretty good, not 100 %. After 100 laps on dirt all that mud can get heavy and change a lot of things with the car

Where can I purchase this Polar Zone Additive in Memphis or have it shipped in.

CoolMax Coolant advertises that it will drop your coolant temp up to 32 degrees

Are you sure it is getting hot and its not a gauge acting up? You said it has no signs of boiling or being hot? $30 gets you a temp gun, I would take the cars temp independent of the gauge.

Jason I believe you are right, what I've done also I had been running straight coolant without doing it 50/50 water ratio, but it still respond the same way. I can be driving on the highway and the temp is 95, I'm all good on the highway, until I get on city streets. then temp climbs up and its like a yo-yo crossing over the midway point almost to 3/4 hot and it drops down and this only happens when I engage the rear a/c. I am gonna get that temp gun and try it. Thanks again

If your radiator fan or auxillary cooling fan is electric when the vehicle is overheating go check to see if the fan has shut off. I have had two issues recently on Lincoln limos where they would overheat because the fan would stop working in the extreme heat of the day. The fan was even more likely to stop working if the AC was on. I know you said you replaced yours, but still I would doublecheck to make sure the fan is running when it is overheating.
    Last edited by TxLimoGuy; July 9th, 2011 at 04:34 AM.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

I am not sure about the Chargers, but the 99-03 Lincolns have 2 relays for the engine fan. One is a "low temp" and the other is a "high temp". The low temp relay will kick on the fan at a certain temp (I think 160?) and then when the engine hits a higher temp (on hot days or idle/slow traffic) the "high temp" relay will kick the fan on a higher speed. If the Charger has a similar set up, the "high temp" relay could be bad. Also, the Lincolns have a cam temp sensor that, if bad, could mess with the "high temp" relay. Let the car idle and see if the fan kicks on a lower temp and then if it shuts off at a higher temp. If you have trouble getting it to a higher temp (check to see if and what temp it should kick the higher side on), you can unplug the fan to get it to a higher temp. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERHEAT THE MOTOR!!!!!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mill Limousine View Post
    I am not sure about the Chargers, but the 99-03 Lincolns have 2 relays for the engine fan. One is a "low temp" and the other is a "high temp". The low temp relay will kick on the fan at a certain temp (I think 160?) and then when the engine hits a higher temp (on hot days or idle/slow traffic) the "high temp" relay will kick the fan on a higher speed. If the Charger has a similar set up, the "high temp" relay could be bad. Also, the Lincolns have a cam temp sensor that, if bad, could mess with the "high temp" relay. Let the car idle and see if the fan kicks on a lower temp and then if it shuts off at a higher temp. If you have trouble getting it to a higher temp (check to see if and what temp it should kick the higher side on), you can unplug the fan to get it to a higher temp. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERHEAT THE MOTOR!!!!!
    Also, having the AC on will cause the engine to heat up faster.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com