Thread: GPS Systems

Anyone have any input on GPS systems.
    Alpine vs Vestinon or Magellan?.

------------------

I am part of a research group investigating possibilites for computer integration in limos. We are looking at combining GPS and other features (music, entertainment, communication, and maps for the client as well as driver assistance) in an easy to use system. Any feedback regarding problems with current systems or suggestions for features that are missing would be greatly appreciated. If you have any such tips, or would like to refer me to the proper forum, please email me at evoldog@cc.gatech.edu.

Thanks!
    Paul Carroll

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Developer:
    I am part of a research group investigating possibilites for computer integration in limos. We are looking at combining GPS and other features (music, entertainment, communication, and maps for the client as well as driver assistance) in an easy to use system. Any feedback regarding problems with current systems or suggestions for features that are missing would be greatly appreciated. If you have any such tips, or would like to refer me to the proper forum, please email me at evoldog@cc.gatech.edu.

Thanks!
    Paul Carroll
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes the systems says " You have left the route" however this has not been the case. The reason is one of the satilites is not responding.
    John

------------------

I guess I have a problem with the need for GPS altogether. We operate in a primarily rural area, as well as to most of the major cities in our area. The few times when assistance is required, it can be spoon fed through the dispatcher to the driver. Most locations can be scouted ahead of time on any number of web sites. The question I have is: Where are others discovering their needs for the technology? .
    I'm not opposed to it by any means. We've all had the lost driver out of cell tower range, but how often is this happening? Perhaps I simply don't have enough info. Someone enlighten me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CK:
    I guess I have a problem with the need for GPS altogether. We operate in a primarily rural area, as well as to most of the major cities in our area. The few times when assistance is required, it can be spoon fed through the dispatcher to the driver. Most locations can be scouted ahead of time on any number of web sites. The question I have is: Where are others discovering their needs for the technology? .
    I'm not opposed to it by any means. We've all had the lost driver out of cell tower range, but how often is this happening? Perhaps I simply don't have enough info. Someone enlighten me!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    When you have enough sedans that the dispatcher can't effectively keep track of them and you want to make sure your cars aren't on gypsy runs.

Well, the tracking features are most valuable when you are dealing with high profile parties or security sensitive events. The recent Democratic National Convention for example. They may seem like gadgets to common folk, but often considered essential when dealing with the State Department, and the various Consulates and Consul Generals. Oh, and yeah, prom night when nervous parents call at 11:30 and want to know where the kids are.