Thread: Help. No Power In Rear

Default Help. No Power In Rear

I Have a 03 Lincoln Town Car ECB 120 Stretch that has no power to rear.

Yesterday I started the car and tried to turn on the power to the back but absolutely nothing when I pressed the button. I then pressed the a/b bat switch for 1 second and tried to turn the power on and it worked this time. I had a 4 hour run and it worked flawlessly. This morning the same thing happened but this time pressing the a/b switch did not fix the problem.

Usually there is a light on the mastercon board that lights up. But there is nothing!

Heres what i've checked so far:

Both batteries are good putting out 12.5 volts
    Both alternators are good putting out 14.5 volts
    All fuses in the mastercon board are fine as well as fuse block under dash and the one under the hood.
    I just replaced the Solenoid because I thought that was the problem but it was not. (Waste of money)

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

Jason
    Last edited by ExcelLimousine; June 8th, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
    Jason R.

Every single time this has happened to me (as described by your symptoms) it has been one of the alternators or one of the batteries.
    Those are easily identifiable though by voltage testing and you seem to have eliminated that.

You may have a wiring or motherboard issue. Keep us posted on the solution you come up with.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

There has been a lot of discussion of this lately. You should take the aux. battery out and have it tested. It may put out 12v but the cold cranking amps may be next to nothing which means it wont work. I just replaced mine because the cold cranking amps were between zero and 16. It should have been 450. Get it tested. If the battery is shot, charging it wont help. There are two solenoids, one under the hood and one at the master control panel. Check to see if there is power going to the solenoid at the master control panel behind the seat.

I load tested both batteries and they are just fine. I also looked for a solenoid by the mastercon board behind the drivers seat and could not find one. It looks like all the wires go straight from the board under the carpet.

I have no idea what the problem might be. I have a run in it tomorrow afternoon and i'm beginning to get a little nervous.
    Jason R.

I guess ECB and Krystal have different systems. My Krystal has a solenoid in the back. But there still needs to be power going to the board. If there is but nothing lights up its a board problem. But if there is no power going to the board then there has to be a problem between the board and the front solenoid or battery setup.

On occasion, what has also worked (before getting the real repair done), is turn on the rear power, hold down the alternate battery button, and then also manually press an additional button on the driver's control panel such as rear lights on/off or divider up/down. Don't ask me why but on numerous times when I thought the back power was dead because the battery was so low the rear power did come on using this method. Maybe this will work for you to at least get the rear on for your upcoming job.

Ultimately the root cause has always been a low battery and the next day we get it in the shop and replace one of the batteries or alternators depending on which was bad.
    Tony Franzetti

If you have no power to the board you could run a heavy gague power wire with an inline fuse say 30 amps to the main input power fuse on the feed side of the fuse slot. remember a fuse transfers power from one side of the fuse to the other side. You could run it directly off the battery or through in line relay setup, (best ). This is not an ideal fix but if it gets you up until you find the problem. I would say somewere their is a transfer soleniod or a main board power relay.

Good Luck

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Test light. Start at the problem and work your way back. If the problem is your Mastercon board is not lighting up - then test it. Is it getting power? You are saying nothing is back there, so then next I would test is the motherboard. Is that getting power? Somewhere the power stops going to the back. Figure out where it stops, or keep replacing parts until you stumble on the right one.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Please explain in more detail what you mean by:

"Usually there is a light on the mastercon board that lights up. But there is nothing!"

How many LEDs are on your motherboard?
    Tony Franzetti

Quote Originally Posted by Los Olivos Limo View Post
    I guess ECB and Krystal have different systems. My Krystal has a solenoid in the back.
    Krystal does not use MasterCon Systems.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

~Stupidity might be hereditary, but ignorance should be painful!~

www.citylimosales.com

So it ended up being the wire that supplies 12v to the board when the ignition key is turned on. It was corroded in a wire harness behind the drivers seat. It was a pain to find but all is ok now.
    Jason R.

Default krystal limo curcuit board layout

Hi I need a blue print of info sheet for my krystal limo if you r able to help me i have no lights working in my rear of the limo

On the circuit board behind driver's seat, see if there is a number that you can call. On my Limo, there is one and person who answers, he can repair the unit if I were to ship it. I guess he is capable of repairing any unit so far. So see if you can locate that no, if not, I will locate it from my limo and pass it to you.

Year of mfg?
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.