Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let the Fun Begin! Question Already....

Basicly the back of a Limo is the same as an R.V.. I think you will find that the battery that powers the back is usually a Deep Cycle battery. A deep cycle differs from a conventonial battery in that it will maintain a constant voltage until it dies, and is designed to be discharged and re charged several times. where a conventonal battery will gradually become weaker as it dies and cannot stand as many re charges as a deep cycle battery.

David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

It's not so much the charge/discharge cycles as it is the duty loads for the alternator.

An alternator is not always putting out max power, or even half max. It really only charges at a decent rate when the battery level drops below normal. Any sudden current drains, such as turning on the fans full blast, also take the alternator time to come up to power. The battery is there not only to start the car, but to provide a source of power for those loads, taking stress off the alternator. Smaller battery, smaller ability to handle those loads, smaller time before the alternator or, more commonly, the rectifier diodes burn out.

PS. Tx, I'm probably imagining it, but there seems to be a... slight attitude... to your questions. Am I upsetting you in some way?
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

I'm still waiting to hear from Jim as to what the fix was, after all he told us the car would be in the shop last Thursday, Is it fixed yet Jim ? What was the fix ?

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Alimo: Couple of post's down (got lost in the clutter, I guess)

Shop called me on Thursday afternoon and said there was some loose wiring somewhere. They are fixing that problem as well as upgrading alternators and some other problems with front end. Needless to say it won't be out of the shop until next Monday.

Jim
    Jim

David,

Thanks for the answers. I truly was looking for more informtion and you seem to know more about this than I do. Sometimes emails & forum postings come across a little impersonal!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LA Limousines (David):
    It's not so much the charge/discharge cycles as it is the duty loads for the alternator.

An alternator is not always putting out max power, or even half max. It really only charges at a decent rate when the battery level drops below normal. Any sudden current drains, such as turning on the fans full blast, also take the alternator time to come up to power. The battery is there not only to start the car, but to provide a source of power for those loads, taking stress off the alternator. Smaller battery, smaller ability to handle those loads, smaller time before the alternator or, more commonly, the rectifier diodes burn out.

PS. Tx, I'm probably imagining it, but there seems to be a... slight attitude... to your questions. Am I upsetting you in some way?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TxLimoGuy:

Sometimes emails & forum postings come across a little impersonal!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Which is why I asked rather than acting on the impulse like so many do.

But I've NEVER done that myself!
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Results are in, car is out (FINALLY). Needed new front end things for suspension and they updraded my alternator to 160 amps.

DAVID: Your post below about 130 amp alternators was correct. The shop told me that they found it EXTREMELY odd that there was only a 100 amp alternator in the car (a stock). Wonder how that happened?

Jim
    Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim28:
    DAVID: Your post below about 130 amp alternators was correct. The shop told me that they found it EXTREMELY odd that there was only a 100 amp alternator in the car (a stock). Wonder how that happened?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably got one for a Mustang thrown in there by mistake or the design-of-idiots. The 130 amp stock one probably would have cured everything.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada