Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let the Fun Begin! Question Already....

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Hello all!

I have a 97 120" TC stretch. Here is the story, see if any of guru's can help me.

I was on my way to inspection today, stopped off at gas station to fill up. As I was pulling from pump, I noticed that my electronic dash went out. I pulled the car over and turned it off, and when I went to turn it back on, it would not turn over. I shut everything down on Master switch (had AC running previous to this, and wife ensured everything was off in back). I began to panic and noticed a "battery" switch on the front master control, held this in and car turned over. As I drove down the parkway, the dash would go in and out. I pulled over again and turned on AC...car went out. Would only start using backup battery (which I belive to be as such). Could this be an alternator problem or just a dead battery, and why all of a sudden like this? If I tried to run the AC, the car konked on me in the middle of the road.

I got it to the shop and they cant see it until next week, so it will remained parked until then (had to drive it back home) but to start I have to push the "battery" button on main control panel. It ran smooth on Parkway as long as I kept the AC off - and it is 95 degrees here today.

Any suggestions?

Jim
    Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim28:
    Hello all!

I have a 97 120" TC stretch. Here is the story, see if any of guru's can help me.

I was on my way to inspection today, stopped off at gas station to fill up. As I was pulling from pump, I noticed that my electronic dash went out. I pulled the car over and turned it off, and when I went to turn it back on, it would not turn over. I shut everything down on Master switch (had AC running previous to this, and wife ensured everything was off in back). I began to panic and noticed a "battery" switch on the front master control, held this in and car turned over. As I drove down the parkway, the dash would go in and out. I pulled over again and turned on AC...car went out. Would only start using backup battery (which I belive to be as such). Could this be an alternator problem or just a dead battery, and why all of a sudden like this? If I tried to run the AC, the car konked on me in the middle of the road.

I got it to the shop and they cant see it until next week, so it will remained parked until then (had to drive it back home) but to start I have to push the "battery" button on main control panel. It ran smooth on Parkway as long as I kept the AC off - and it is 95 degrees here today.

Any suggestions?

Jim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Replace your main battery.

Wade Randolph

Member Limo Padawan

I have had the same problem with my 96 it has always been either alernator or the battery terimals on the main battery.

Marshall B. Bourn III
    Marshall B. Bourn III

The guy that sold me the limo told me to check the terminals (as I talked to him from the side of the road) but they look ok to me, I will check them again. He also stated that he thought he replaced the battery, but I am still waiting on the maintenance records. About how often should the main battery be replaced? There is nothing out of the ordinary in the back of the car, no fog machine or laser lights or anything like that, just rope lights in ceiling and pinwheel neon bar.

Jim
    Jim

"Looking OK" is not checking the terminals, they should be tight, enough so that you can't twist them by hand. Also, go to a PepBoys or something similiar and get a battery terminal brush and clean them. Also check to see if the belt is slipping or needs replacement.

After these, I would assume there was an alternator problem before a battery one, but both things can be easily checked by a decent mechanic.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

I just went out and double checked the terminals, they are tight enough - double checked fuses and they all look good and the belt is nice and tight. Im thinking its time for a new battery, thats the only thing I can come up with. It turns right over when I use auxiliary battery.

Jim
    Jim

Hi, David from L.A, is quite right you should take off the terminals and clean them to make sure that the contact is spot on, just looking is not enough, a bad contact can cause this problem, also check the cable to earth has a good clean contact too, if you are not getting the red no charge light after doing this then the odds are you need a new battery but any local mechanic can check the alternator out with a meter in two seconds flat, in the past its always been a new main battery that was the fix for me.
    Just as a precaution (and this is quite rare) If your Limo has a unit that divides the power charge between the the two batteries running from the alternator, it would be worth checking the cables both to and from it, it would also be advisable to check the charge to your main battery from the unit, in 14 years I have had only one of these units fail with the same result, no power, for while the backup battery was fully charged the main battery was completely flat due to one side of the units failure. To check for this ask your mechanic to check the power output direct from the alternator and also at the battery terminals if there's a good reading from the alternator and none at the battery this would be the fault. As I said before though, this is quite rare. Best of luck.

[This message was edited by Alimo on August 21, 2003 at 04:07 PM.]

The other guys are right,this happened to me last week.Take the cables off and clean them and the terminals with a wire brush,coat the terminals with white grease-helps prevent corrosion-make sure you tighten them and you should be OK.Unless your main battery is knackered.I`ve had no problem since then in fact while I was doing one car I decided I might as well do the others"an ounce of prevention..."

Ok, I will go to AutoZone or Pepboys tomorrow and get to cleaning, since I do not have much else to do, hell, if it saves me money I will give it a go. I was looking at the battery again and the 72 month warranty expired in March of this year, if I am reading the battery correctly. This may go along with time to replace the battery since the car is about 7 years old. Does not hurt to try the cleaning, especially if it can save me a couple hundread bucks. Thanks as usual.

Jim
    Jim

Member Limo Padawan

The easest way i know to check if the aletnator is working is start the car with back up battery and if stay running diconect one post from your main if it is still running its your battery or connections , my 96 has a powerline and have had where the wires plug in on top get dirty you might check that to. My 96
    has been a real pain in all of that area.

Marshall B. Bourn III
    Marshall B. Bourn III

Check everything each week. That's what the pros do....

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Member Limo Padawan

I like to do that but sometimes it,s the little thangs you forget and will leave sitting on the side of road

Marshall B. Bourn III
    Marshall B. Bourn III

We have a PMCS (Preventative Maintenance Checks & Services) sheet we are working on to use on our vehicle for mechanical and cleaning, and I have a good system of what I will be modeling it after. Large fleets survive on preventive maintenance, that much I know from being in the military - and I plan on keeping my car and eventually cars in tip top condition - it's just that all of this is a learning process at this point in my young limousine business.

Marshall, I will try that as well tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Jim
    Jim

Well, had the same thing a few weeks ago ...

Considering your battery older than 72 months or 6 years - don't bother and kick it out.

We had exactly the same effect: A/C and lights/stereo on, slow traffic (hence only little charge effect from alternator) and STOP!

Tried a few things and finally replaced battery - car works just fine now.
    BTW: we also had a bad 2nd battery that constantly was pulling about 1.5 amps from main even when car was off .....

Good luck!

Have a nice weekend & regards from Salzburg/Austria
    Rupert
    www.amadeuslimo.com

Member Limo Padawan

Wade did you find the problem? I hope it was somehting simple !

Marshall B. Bourn III
    Marshall B. Bourn III