Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C Issue! Please Help!

Default A/C Issue! Please Help!

Alright, recently I have been having problems with the A/C in my 2007 Lincoln Town Car Executive L. The A/C will work great and all of the sudden it will stop coming out of the vents, although the fan is still blowing (can hear it in the dash) but it barely trickles out the vents. I replaced all of the blend door motors yesterday, with the exception of the defrost one and still does it. What could it be, I was thinking maybe it was the head unit, but I don't want to switch it out and still be stuck and out of pocket for a new unit. Any help would be great thanks!
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Regal Limousine & Transportation
    Kansas City, Missouri

"If you've ever traveled this good,
    Welcome Back!"

Kansas City Limo - Kansas City Airport Transportation

Well whoever told you to replace the blend doors just cost you alot of money for nothing.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

I am not sharp on 03 or newer TC, but if it was an 02 most likely would be a vacuum problem. If it stops blowing out when you accelerate the vehicle chances are this is what is.

Swapped the EATC...... Crossing my fingers hoping it works, we'll see. So far so good.

As for the Vacuum issue, we checked (no apparent leaks). It doesn't just happen with acceleration, it just happens....

P.S. Thanks captain obvious about the blend doors! P.S. I replaced them because the EATC codes coming back said to, and it only took an hour and no cost as I had some already..... so yeah....
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome Back!"

Make sure the 'Auto' button on the dash is on and if the outside temp is lower than the dash temp setting you might not get air through the vents.

Tried the "Auto" bit, but it doesn't make a difference. Thanks!
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome Back!"

I have this same exact problem on a 2007 also. Its a vacuum problem. The system is set to default to defroster, because of safety. So if you lose vacuum control for the vents/floor it will blow out of the defroster by default. I think when you hear it blowing, but its only trickling out of the vent that its actually blowing out of the defroster. I've had it fixed under warranty. I'll look up the records tomorrow and see what they replaced. The bad news is, it has started to do it to me recently intermittently and now out of warranty.
    FAIRFAX LIMO - Northern Virginia and Washington DC Limo Service

Lincoln TC (Executive) - multiple
    Lincoln TC (Executive L) - multiple
    Lincoln TC 100" Stretch by US Coachworks
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by DaBryan
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Krystal (2)
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Executive
    Lincoln TC 72" Stretch by Krystal
    Ford Excursion 180" by Legendary
    Hummer H2 200" by Krystal
    Hummer H2 180" by Craftsmen
    K33 Limobus/Party Bus (F550) by Krystal

Fairfax Limo also offers Virginia Wine Tours

Im trying to find this vacuum line, as per Tim @ BLVD. No luck yet.... It's driving me crazy, my mech. says he doesn't want to try and diagnose it unless it's happening. Yet it only happens intermittently!! It's driving me crazy!!
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome Back!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax Limo View Post
    I have this same exact problem on a 2007 also. Its a vacuum problem. The system is set to default to defroster, because of safety. So if you lose vacuum control for the vents/floor it will blow out of the defroster by default. I think when you hear it blowing, but its only trickling out of the vent that its actually blowing out of the defroster. I've had it fixed under warranty. I'll look up the records tomorrow and see what they replaced. The bad news is, it has started to do it to me recently intermittently and now out of warranty.
    Engine vacuum is *NOT* used for the hvac controls on these cars. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kslust View Post
    Alright, recently I have been having problems with the A/C in my 2007 Lincoln Town Car Executive L. The A/C will work great and all of the sudden it will stop coming out of the vents, although the fan is still blowing (can hear it in the dash) but it barely trickles out the vents. I replaced all of the blend door motors yesterday, with the exception of the defrost one and still does it. What could it be, I was thinking maybe it was the head unit, but I don't want to switch it out and still be stuck and out of pocket for a new unit. Any help would be great thanks!
    Karl,

You most likely have an evaporator that's freezing up, usually occurs after several hours of continuous use. Two possible causes are the a/c clutch relay contacts are welded together preventing the compressor clutch from cycling or the orifice tube is leaking and flooding the evaporator with refrigerant.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve_b View Post
    Karl,

You most likely have an evaporator that's freezing up, usually occurs after several hours of continuous use. Two possible causes are the a/c clutch relay contacts are welded together preventing the compressor clutch from cycling or the orifice tube is leaking and flooding the evaporator with refrigerant.

Steve

Thank you all! Especially you Steve! The problem was that in fact;

Diagnosis for future:

A/C Clutch Switch problem. The A/C clutch Switch (Low Side Pressure Sensor) located on top of the A/C Drier/Accumulator (sensor with an electrical connection) was bad, the original reason for mis-diagnosis of this is because, where normally when this goes bad the A/C compressor does not come on, but in this instance it would not tell the compressor to turn off (very rare apparently). This in turn keeps the compressor running constantly making the evaporator freeze up in a block of ice, and seeing that ALL air that goes into car must go through the evaporator, but couldn't because it was a block of ice. Then yeah, no air flow, but you can hear the fan kicking away.

To confirm freezing up, the A/C Lines will be caked in frost indicating an evaporator freezing up.

Replaced switch from auto parts store $12 dollars screw off, put new one on! All is good air flow is wonderful!

Thanks All! and I hope this helps someone in the future!

P.s. there is no vacuum lines that have any bearing on the function of the A/C units, all doors are controlled electronically and no longer controlled via vacuum.
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome Back!"

Banned

Its the small things that cause problems, but rather the small things before shelling out the big bucks.

Another local limo company has an a/c problem that the front is working cold, but the rear is hot air. The front blows 45 degrees while the rear is 97. The a/c was fully charged.

In the rear if you switch from a/c to heat it makes no difference its always blowing at 97 degrees.

Its built by AHA, and is year 2000.

Any clues of where to start ?
    Would like to help him out, thank you.
    Last edited by nvthslex; May 27th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nvthslex View Post
    Its the small things that cause problems, but rather the small things before shelling out the big bucks.

Another local limo company has an a/c problem that the front is working cold, but the rear is hot air. The front blows 45 degrees while the rear is 97. The a/c was fully charged.

In the rear if you switch from a/c to heat it makes no difference its always blowing at 97 degrees.

Its built by AHA, and is year 2000.

Any clues of where to start ?
    Would like to help him out, thank you.
    check the heater hose that goes back to the heat/ac unit in the back. if its hot or warm, I'd put a manual cutoff valve on it inside the engine compartment.
    FAIRFAX LIMO - Northern Virginia and Washington DC Limo Service

Lincoln TC (Executive) - multiple
    Lincoln TC (Executive L) - multiple
    Lincoln TC 100" Stretch by US Coachworks
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by DaBryan
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Krystal (2)
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Executive
    Lincoln TC 72" Stretch by Krystal
    Ford Excursion 180" by Legendary
    Hummer H2 200" by Krystal
    Hummer H2 180" by Craftsmen
    K33 Limobus/Party Bus (F550) by Krystal

Fairfax Limo also offers Virginia Wine Tours

See if you can touch the piping to or the evaporator itself, if it isnt cold replace the expansion valve.

Banned

thanks guys, I will pass the info along.

His a/c dash lights also went out on him today, I am assuming it would be a fuse.
    Like nothing works in the front, and he spent $200 getting a full a/c charge the day before.