Thread: 2002 Town Car Cartier L Power Seat Won't Move Forward & Back

Default 2002 Town Car Cartier L Power Seat Won't Move Forward & Back

New guy here. Just bought a nice 2002 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L. The driver's seat only makes a low clicking noise when holding the seat FORWARD or BACK switch. It will reliably make this noise to the limit of "travel" although the seat itself does not move. I removed both front seats to shampoo the carpet and to see if anything was stuck in the seat track (they are clear).

This noise sounds somewhat like a power antenna motor that keeps running.

They are now in my shop, upside down, awaiting troubleshooting. I feel that the driver's seat motor (there are 3, plus 1 other for lumbar) which is dedicated to FORE/AFT movement has a stripped gear inside the long black plastic gear housing?
    Questions:

1: Is this a common problem (230,000 miles, previous driver was huge)?
    2: Can I buy the entire seat motor/gearbox pack from a Lincoln dealer? Or is there a better aftermarket solution?
    3: Will 2003 and up front seats bolt in? And are the electrical connectors the same? If so I may "upgrade" to the newer seat style. Thanks!

Worn out motor. It happens with our fat butts and that "Easy Out" feature that moves the seat back 2 inches when you take the key out and forward 2 inches when you put the key in.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Tim is probably right, but my 2000 L someone had put an after market switch in for some reason before I bought it. So mine just moves forward and back not up and down. I am curious about this issue and would like to fix mine, as I am 6"4" and the seat is set for someone under 6' and is very uncomfortable for me.

Thank you all for helping me! I am going to dig into the seat (it's on my workbench) and replace the offending part.

The offending part? Do you find it to be offensive that it doesn't want to work? That is a very unique way to state it.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Next to impossible to fix motors in these things (more expensive than worth). Best bet is to find a working used whole seat and swap away.
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Regal Limousine & Transportation
    Kansas City, Missouri

"If you've ever traveled this good,
    Welcome Back!"

Kansas City Limo - Kansas City Airport Transportation

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

We had the same problem in our sedan. I took the track from the front pass seat of 1 of the limos and made the manual track fit. No more motor to pay for. Used motors dont last and the dealer will sell you the whole track for about $500. good luck.