Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intake Manifold 98-00 Town Car

Blog Entries

Usually they will start out just seaping (Wet looking) almost like it's sweating thru the plastic, if it is at all wet... even a little, don't mess around just replace it. My Father used to say," If we had spare parts in the trunk for stuff that can fail without a warning and the tools to fix it, there wouldn't be room for luggage"
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Los Olivos Limo View Post
    If you go buy a new one is it made of aluminum or is it also plastic? Has anyone had the part actually blow out on them? My '99 just turned 99k miles so I'm hoping I'm ok for awhile.
    The picture Elegant posted is the new style. The front part is aluminum - that is what cracks. As far as how long it could last...well, that is why Ford had to come up with a new one with a recall back then. They would blow with little mileage. Look, I'm sure everyone is sick of me saying it, but it is really like a fuel pump (or alternator for that fact). There is not much warning that it is going bad. Q is right in that if you see seepage, then replace it. Otherwise, what the other guys are saying about preventative maintenance...are you going to replace your fuel pump every 30K? Our Chrysler's pump went out at 60K. My wife's alternator in her Explorer went out with no warning - no noise, nothing. Just went dead. Business is about risk vs. reward. What is going to cost you if it goes out? $200 tow, have someone else cover the run, and refund the customer something for inconvenience. You would have to do this with a bad alternator or fuel pump. The manifold costs $200. Labor on that is probably (I am not sure what the book hours on this is) probably $500? I'm guessing 4-6 book hours - I could be way off on this. If you have the money, replace it. If not, make sure you have a back up plan in case it blows (you should anyways in case something else happens!).
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

I'm going to go talk to the service manager at the local Ford dealer Monday about this but if this was a recall maybe it was already done. Maybe they can check by VIN and see if it was done. Are we talking about the entire intake manifold or just that front crossover piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Olivos Limo View Post
    I'm going to go talk to the service manager at the local Ford dealer Monday about this but if this was a recall maybe it was already done. Maybe they can check by VIN and see if it was done. Are we talking about the entire intake manifold or just that front crossover piece?
    You will have to replace the entire manifold. Look at #12, if it has the front aluminum piece you are good, if it is all plastic it is the old style. Post a pic of yours if you are unsure and we can tell you.
    Rich Rottier

Sidenote: there is a nipple on the back (cabin side, pass side on top) that a coolant line goes to. The old style had a nipple with an O-ring that went into the manifold, the new style has this nipple molded into the manifold (all one piece with the manifold). If you have the old style and that nipple pulls out (like if you are trying to get the hose off and it comes with), you will have to get the new style manifold (this is why we ended up replacing ours). As far as I know, Ford does not sell this separate as they want you to buy the new style manifold.
    Rich Rottier

I just confirmed it's the old style. I'm going to talk to the Ford guys and see what they say. It looks good now, no moisture. But don't want to take chances.

Went to the ford dealer and got it checked. Looks good now. Recall period is over and he gave me a really high est. I'll have to wait. I would get it done somewhere else. But he said a failure could be due to a sticky thermostat that leads to overheating and then a crack. So maybe replacing the thermostat ocassionally would be good. But he also discovered another recall for ball joints that is still in effect. Got new ones done today for no cost. Sweet.

If that is the case use a fail safe thermostat, that might help. I replaced the thermostats on all cars recently. It's easy to do yourself and $10

I got the manifold for $182 shipped, and the labor will be paid using trade money, at that price no way to justify not fixing it! The car is at 140k, and its still okay, but I am anal retentive on the maintenance and the coolant has been changed multiple times as well as the thermostat.

Where did you get the manifold for $182?

Well, it finally happened. The intake manifold on my 99 started to leak. Only 108k miles. Replaced the manifold today. Got one from Amazon.com made by Dorman. Cost $217 incl. shipping. Funny thing is it wasn't the front crossover that went. It was on the back where a tube comes up and connects to the heater hose. At least I didn't get stranded but I did have to sub out 2 wine tours last weekend. All better now, I hope.

This little problem allowed me to talk down the price of my car $1500 and another $1000 more for other things. It was obviously leaking and the car had a bad loaded misfire, I could see where it was leaking and running into the plug sockets. He ran it like that not knowing engines and probably figured that he unloaded a failing engine on me. Saved $2500 on his asking price and spent maybe $600 in parts to fix, including intake manifold, thermostat, plugs, new coils(burned out 3), and catalytic converter(also damaged). Also replaced batteries, alternator, headlight assy's, and a/c parts.

Banned

Just in case some more people are looking:

Auto Parts Direct to You, sells the upgraded manifold for $185 plus shipping (free shipping in the States).