Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Manifold 98-00 Town Car

Default Intake Manifold 98-00 Town Car

These cars have a plastic intake manifold that is notorious for developing a crack and leaking out all of the vehicles coolant. This question is for you guys out there that have/had one of these Town Cars and got the vehicle after Ford's deadline for warranty of the vehicle. I have a 2000 with the defective manifold design, current mileage is 139,000, I plan on keeping the vehicle about two more years (its in perfect shape), so probably another 70k miles, has anyone run one of these cars to 200k without the manifold blowing? I am in a catch 22, I don't know if it is guaranteed to blow or just more likely to blow, I hate to replace it because there is nothing wrong with it at the moment, but if it is an eventuality I would fix it before it goes out during a job and costs me even more money to fix.
    Last edited by Ryan_R; March 23rd, 2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Ryan, when we bought our '00 LTC my cousin and his very good friend (both Ford techs) told me it was not if, but when it would go (ours was not changed out either). Long story short, we changed ours out last year. It is expensive, but like these guys said, when it goes, it will go and you will be stranded. We had 170K when we changed ours. Of course, anything can go at anytime, our 300 has 60K on it and both fuel pumps (I didn't realize it had 2) went out a couple weeks ago and left me stranded - luckily, it was on the home after dropping the clients off and didn't have anymore runs for it for a few days after.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Replace it now! If you wait it will be too late. Think about it, here is a problem that you already know about. If you don't take care of it now not only do you run the risk of it going at the worst possible moment but you could piss off the wrong client and bad word spreads fast and you really don't want to ruin someones special day. I wish all problems to come were spelled out in such black and white. When my wife brought our 99 Lincoln 120 for inspection this week they couldn't believe how perfect the car is. Remember it's all about preventive maintenance. It may cost you now but it will save you in the long run. Good luck. You can buy the updated intake at Car Quest for about $250 Dormin makes it and it takes about 3 hours to do.

Blog Entries

The Napa Intake Manifold is the best one. It costs us $450.00 with part and labor to change it.

I recently sold a 1999 Krystal 100" limo with 160K miles and it still had the factory intake. So you never know.

How can I tell if my cars have had them replaced? I have a 98 and 00 and bought them used.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFleet View Post
    How can I tell if my cars have had them replaced? I have a 98 and 00 and bought them used.
    Look at the front of the intake it should be all aluminum if it is all plastic it is the old 1 and needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast View Post
    Look at the front of the intake it should be all aluminum if it is all plastic it is the old 1 and needs to go.
    Thank You, when I get to the garage today I will find out.

Blog Entries

Auto Zone has them cheap and they are pretty good. Once they start leaking it can virtually blow out and leave you high & dry. The old saying if it aint broke don't fix it does not apply to this part, if you have the cash fix it now. We just sold a 1998 sedan with 145,000 that has the original manifold but there are no signs of leaking.
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

If you have the bad part the front of it will be plastic, if it has been replaced the front will be aluminum. On my car it is directly behind the top alternator. Q45 do you know if they always start leaking first? Mine looks totally fine, I have even gone so far as to put some jb weld and coolant in the glove box and shown the drivers where the crack would develop, that way they could perhaps patch it if it to finish a job if it did go out. Sounds like I shold just fix it

Yes, just go ahead and fix it. It will be a problem. I have had to replace them on EVERY Town Car I have owned (except the one I bought last November). Once you fix it, you won't have to worry about it anymore. Till then, you will always have to be checking it, and trust me, that will get old real fast.
    Jerry Thomas

Ok, back from the garage. The 98 & 00 both have an aluminum crossover from where the thermastat housing is to the other side of the motor, behind that is a plastic looking manifold. Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFleet View Post
    Ok, back from the garage. The 98 & 00 both have an aluminum crossover from where the thermastat housing is to the other side of the motor, behind that is a plastic looking manifold. Thoughts?
    your good

This is what the updated 1 looks like

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    If you have the bad part the front of it will be plastic, if it has been replaced the front will be aluminum. On my car it is directly behind the top alternator. Q45 do you know if they always start leaking first? Mine looks totally fine, I have even gone so far as to put some jb weld and coolant in the glove box and shown the drivers where the crack would develop, that way they could perhaps patch it if it to finish a job if it did go out. Sounds like I shold just fix it
    Aw, no different than a fuel pump. Once it goes, it goes...no warning. I would just take the chance if you are going to get rid of it soon anyways.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast View Post
    your good

This is what the updated 1 looks like
    That's the one.

Thank You

If you go buy a new one is it made of aluminum or is it also plastic? Has anyone had the part actually blow out on them? My '99 just turned 99k miles so I'm hoping I'm ok for awhile.