Thread: Party bus vs. Limo for insurance purposes

Default Party bus vs. Limo for insurance purposes

Hey guys I had a "quick" question.

What would separate the two for insurance purposes? If I am going to do a custom build I would imagine the height of the ceiling would make the difference. Is that correct? I have a ceiling of 6 feet does that automatically fall into the bus category?

Mike

Nothing separates the two. It is written on a Public Auto policy, no different than that of a taxi or a motorcoach. You are getting hung up on the insurance issue and spending too much time trying to micro-manage something that is not going to allow that. It is the same as trying to get the cost of fuel to decrease.

Focus on the small little nickle and dime expenses that cripple operators. Fuel, vehicle, labor, and insurance are four expenses that remain pretty constant.

My favorite story is about a guy in the Mid-West that kicked my butt for 8 months thinking that I was holding onto a pot of gold and could get a reduction in insurance costs. At the end of the year we were talking and he figured out that he had spent $3,500 on bagged ice that year...his insurance for his one car was less than his ice. All he had to do was pay attention and buy a used ice maker for $800. He is still in business and doing good and doesn't beat me up about insurance any more.

Phil, glad to see you are feeling well again, and back on the forum with your good posts!

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    Nothing separates the two. It is written on a Public Auto policy, no different than that of a taxi or a motorcoach. You are getting hung up on the insurance issue and spending too much time trying to micro-manage something that is not going to allow that. It is the same as trying to get the cost of fuel to decrease.

Focus on the small little nickle and dime expenses that cripple operators. Fuel, vehicle, labor, and insurance are four expenses that remain pretty constant.

My favorite story is about a guy in the Mid-West that kicked my butt for 8 months thinking that I was holding onto a pot of gold and could get a reduction in insurance costs. At the end of the year we were talking and he figured out that he had spent $3,500 on bagged ice that year...his insurance for his one car was less than his ice. All he had to do was pay attention and buy a used ice maker for $800. He is still in business and doing good and doesn't beat me up about insurance any more.
    Ok. Phil I got your email and will be giving you a call!

That is hilarious about the ice.

Thanks Kathy, it was the most debilitating thing I have gone through, never felt so bad and I had a hay wagon fall on me about 12 years ago. Would much rather have that feeling than this sickness! Was finally able to come into the office yesterday after being laid up for three days.

Phil,

Glad to see your feeling better.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

If anyone is looking for used icemakers (or new for that matter) email me at info@cedarlimo.com. I have a very good friend that sells these!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Not to get off topic, but how much would it cost to ship one of those icemakers?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

That depends on how much it costs to start the G5.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

That depends on how much it costs to start the G5.
    LOL - you offer a bulk discount on that Tim? I do not know the cost of shipping as I have not had one shipped. When he was in town visiting his in-laws we were talking about it one night and he had said that the shipping was really quite inexpensive (I really do not remember the numbers). He is a real nice and trustworthy guy. Here is his info (make sure to tell him I referred you!):

Erik Albers
    Surety Refrigeration

erik.albers@suretyice.com
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

I bought a small one (100lb) about 3 years ago, and best I remember, it cost around $125-$150 to have it shipped from midwest to N.C.

On the other hand, I just got moulding for the long one piece side window today from Infinite Innovations, and it cost me over $100.00 to have it shipped! VERY light weight 4" tube, but about 12' long
    Last edited by PTLimoNC; January 18th, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
    Jerry Thomas

Also the bins are separate from the ice maker itself. The bins that hold the ice are usually more expensive than the actual ice maker. Our bin is huge and holds 750lbs of ice. It costs much more than the ice maker.