Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of your kind help and idea to start my own Limo service

Default In need of your kind help and idea to start my own Limo service

Hello Dear,

I been working in Limo business as Driver for almost over a year now and i think its time to do something my own and i am in need of more help. I live in CA, Bay Area and would like to start my own.

do i really need a business plan?
    Investment?

I am planning to start with two Town Car.
    Target would be most of Airport run, and Hotels, Companies. ( How to approach them and get business?)
    Initially where to get least amount of business. ( Online affiliate, etc....?)

i really appreciated for all your comments and idea.

Blog Entries

Cool new limo business

Quote Originally Posted by srk007 View Post
    Hello Dear,

I been working in Limo business as Driver for almost over a year now and i think its time to do something my own and i am in need of more help. I live in CA, Bay Area and would like to start my own.

Investment?

I am planning to start with two Town Car.
    Target would be most of Airport run, and Hotels, Companies. ( How to approach them and get business?)

i really appreciated for all your comments and idea.
    Why would you want to start a limo business in a recession where you would have an overhead of over $20.000 per year per car?

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    Why would you want to start a limo business in a recession where you would have an overhead of over $20.000 per year per car?
    You are quite the hater when it comes to people starting a limo businesses. There is always money to be made in this business if you do everything right. According to your logic since we are in a recession no one should start up any business of any kind. The worse the economy is the harder/smarter you have to work to balance out the odds.

In 2001 I had two brand new DaBryans (read huge payments and hardly any business) and 9-11 hit just a few months after we took possession. I had to build a business in very lean times. Looking back I wouldn't change a thing. It made me run a lean business. Nobody was flying, and nobody was going into DC to party or tour out of fear. The market plummeted and the National Guard was on every street corner with Humvees and machine guns. We scraped by. I wouldn't talk anybody out of starting a business in lean times. If you can make it in lean times you will clean up when the economy is rolling. Celebrate our 10th anniversary this year.
    FAIRFAX LIMO - Northern Virginia and Washington DC Limo Service

Lincoln TC (Executive) - multiple
    Lincoln TC (Executive L) - multiple
    Lincoln TC 100" Stretch by US Coachworks
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by DaBryan
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Krystal (2)
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Executive
    Lincoln TC 72" Stretch by Krystal
    Ford Excursion 180" by Legendary
    Hummer H2 200" by Krystal
    Hummer H2 180" by Craftsmen
    K33 Limobus/Party Bus (F550) by Krystal

Fairfax Limo also offers Virginia Wine Tours

I think there is lot of way to turn around this business and make good out of it. in doing in right way and following the right path putting all your hard dedication work. i dont see, that has anything do with recession in this Transportation business in right area.

i am still hoping to get some positive feedback.

Thank you.

Absolutely you need to start with a business plan.

I said it before and I am going to say it again... No business plans to fail. Many businesses fail to plan.

If it doesn't work, at least you will have an exit strategy.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by srk007 View Post
    Hello Dear,
    Hello Sweetums...

(Oh, God...)

Asking like that suggests that you already know the answer.

Now that is a dilemma...

Here's what you might try doing: ask yourself if you could run the company that you've been driving for?

Ask yourself what you see as the company's strengths?
    Ask yourself where the company is lacking or deficient, then ask yourself how you would go about making changes.

Put yourself in your owners shoes... for this exercise, you aren't the driver and you don't get to clock out and go home. When you're a driver (or for the purists, a "chauffeur") you only look to the next run or two. The people running the show are always on the job. How good are you at making decisions, sometimes on the fly that affect everyone in the company? Can you chart a course for the company?

Is the outfit too big? Too small? Fleet too old, or not diverse enough for your client base?
    Should you bring your maintenance in-house? Or outsource it?
    Is there a tight grip on cost controls?

How do you feel about the marketing plans? Is it consistent with the goals the company has established? Does the company have goals? In other words, did they have a business plan? (Now you may want to reflect back on how that original question you asked about 'really needing a business plan' goes over as well as the proverbial fart in church).

I'm sure the opposition makes a more attractive scenario by just winging it... so I guess it comes down to where you want to put your hard work and efforts.
    Karl Jones

Now here is the situation, the company i work for its operated by family, they have one hotel set up which is neutral place to get decent call by paying the commission to valley, and ya its approved by Hotel to stand by and take the customer. also they have very few corporate company accnt so, they give some call to cover that. i work for them based on percent, which is 50/50 but really its not. so here is the set up, GAS is mine, half on Airport fee, Commission, Parking, Toll (if) Tip, Credit card fee, and total fare. so basically it comes out like 65(owner)/30(me). dont have an option but just to work with feels like total BS!!!!! anyway, so my idea is i can do much better then this people are doing, only thing i need to do is that i have to put my hard work on getting the business. to make contact or get into their to get contacted, either way. also approaching Big Companies are here in Silicon Valley, we got three Main airport SJC, SFO, OAK. for the starting i want to do the living on taking out all the expense, atleast i work on my own and built my own business rather then working and making nothing. what would you say, how do you feel on my situation right now. what are your suggestions?

Thanks Karl, BLVD Limo. i definitely need more opinion and right direction. i just dont want to fail !! i only learn and get success if i get help from successful people or who run this business and have lot more idea and suggestion which will help by guiding others like me.

Thank you.

You need to think about what the owner is paying that you are not. Insurance, credit card processing fees, telephone, reservations system/software, marketing, taxes on vehicle, permits, the vehicle itself.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Ya that is right, the need of this business to run is, CAR, Insurance, permits, CCF, taxes on vehicles cant escape.taking a call and reservation using CELL PHONE. which is i am using it for their business too. and those are all necessity to run this business isnt it? cant escape it. they hasnt done any marketing, based on commission getting business form hotel is big deal and hard to get in it now days due to competition, they have been arnd in that area and got into it in early yrs a go so, not using anything as software/reservation nor has up running site.

i know its not easy but its not harder either....

i am just getting more knowledge and advices so i will think twice before i jump into anything.

Thanks,

Default Borat? Is that you?

Sorry to be sarcastic, but the "dear" thing and the hotel "valley" thing reminded me of Borat. I don't want to be mean(really), but I would suggest taking some English classes. I'm sure you're an intelligent person, but English is obviously your 2nd or 3rd language. In person, you probably make a great chauffeur. But I think working on your English skills would greatly increase your entrepreneur chances. Once again, I'm not trying to be mean. My writing skills can be pretty bad sometimes and I suck at Scrabble, but I think it is fair advice.

As far as running your own sedan service, good luck and work hard at the things you have to do(vehicle, insurance, CA PUC, airport stickers, marketing). You're already on the right track asking for help on this forum. There are a lot of generous, experienced operators that will help you. Good luck.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Blog Entries

Cool new limobusiness

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    You are quite the hater when it comes to people starting a limo businesses. There is always money to be made in this business if you do everything right. According to your logic since we are in a recession no one should start up any business of any kind. The worse the economy is the harder/smarter you have to work to balance out the odds.
    I am not a hater and God Bless everyone who is making money in limo business these days. I just gave him my opinion so he does not make the wrong decision. This market is saturated with limo companies,the Cities and Counties are charging a lot of money for letting you operate, the insurance is minimum $3400 anually. I don't know what it cost in CA but in Miami you need $20.000 per year to operate 1 sedan or1 SUV, Good Luck to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Levine View Post
    Sorry to be sarcastic, but the "dear" thing and the hotel "valley" thing reminded me of Borat. I don't want to be mean(really), but I would suggest taking some English classes. I'm sure you're an intelligent person, but English is obviously your 2nd or 3rd language. In person, you probably make a great chauffeur. But I think working on your English skills would greatly increase your entrepreneur chances. Once again, I'm not trying to be mean. My writing skills can be pretty bad sometimes and I suck at Scrabble, but I think it is fair advice.

As far as running your own sedan service, good luck and work hard at the things you have to do(vehicle, insurance, CA PUC, airport stickers, marketing). You're already on the right track asking for help on this forum. There are a lot of generous, experienced operators that will help you. Good luck.
    You are not being mean! and your guess is right, English is my 4th language. i shared with you guys, how i work with this guy. btw, this guys i work for who earns pretty decent money doing this, does not know how to spell a Chauffeur!

Thanks for your generous comment,

i really appreciated for all your comments ppl.
    Last edited by srk007; January 17th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    Dumbass response. Mindless in fact.

$20K per year overhead per car? What the hell kind of operation did you get shafted into? God bless..cut your losses and pick up a shift at McDonalds...but it's a bad economy; people aren't buying Chicken McNuggets like they were in 04'...so you might just want to crawl into a cave and hide for a few years.

Negative Nancy shall be your new username.

Wish this new guy some luck..he is asking for help. Not some
    Lane ass response about the economy....you watch too
    Much TV.

Blog Entries

I'm having a fantastic month.