Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have an idea for a party bus

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thrill View Post

My big hurdle now is the whole liability, insurance, and licensing hill to climb.
    If you have never owned a business before you ABSOLUTELY need a business plan. You need to do market research to at least get an idea of a price that you are probably going to get for it and how often it will move. You need a realistic plan of costs and projected revenue.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

I have attempted to own two businesses so far. Both in the medical area and both failed. I had business plans for both but they were very small (under one page), and I learned a lot from both. Not to rely on another person to get things done for you. This will be the real deal for me. I would like to not sit on an ambulance the rest of my life and want that freedom of having my own business on the side.

Blog Entries

Cool old vehicles can be real eye catchers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

The first issue I see is the fact that the entrance into the passenger area is in the rear...anyone remember when that drunk opened up the back doors to be cool and fell out on the interstate? You will if that vehicle is not changed to only allow the passengers to enter/exit from an area close to the chauffeur.

In regards to what you perceive to be your hurdles (insurance, licensing, etc.) Rich is correct, your hurdle is having a solid business plan. Revenue is the name of the game in all forms of transportation. As a wise man once told me, you can sit around all day long and try to cut costs, but if you're not producing any revenue then you need to call it a day.

In regards to the vehicle itself, I would suggest that it not exceed a total seating capacity of 15 (including the chauffeur)...there is a current thread on the forum about an operation that decided to operate CDL/p required vehicles with zero CDL experience, a vehicle they modified themselves, and have more vehicles than can be justified and they are in the "hurry-up and wait" period of running $5mm limits before their premium is affordable to them.

Be smart about getting into this. Take your time, read through this forum, do some market research, ask questions. I would not go into this only for 4,000 firefighters, I doubt they are going to keep this business afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    The first issue I see is the fact that the entrance into the passenger area is in the rear...anyone remember when that drunk opened up the back doors to be cool and fell out on the interstate? You will if that vehicle is not changed to only allow the passengers to enter/exit from an area close to the chauffeur.

That can be an easy fix. I can and would install an electronic lock on the door that can be controlled from the front of the vehicle. And the reason that guy fell out of the ambulance was due to a whole different story. The attendant was sleeping and not watching the pt like they should have been.

In regards to the vehicle itself, I would suggest that it not exceed a total seating capacity of 15 (including the chauffeur)...there is a current thread on the forum about an operation that decided to operate CDL/p required vehicles with zero CDL experience, a vehicle they modified themselves, and have more vehicles than can be justified and they are in the "hurry-up and wait" period of running $5mm limits before their premium is affordable to them.

The other part of getting the license and having the capacity is another topic I am looking into.

Be smart about getting into this. Take your time, read through this forum, do some market research, ask questions. I would not go into this only for 4,000 firefighters, I doubt they are going to keep this business afloat.
    I will not spend a dollar before researching out every aspect of this and creating a solid business plan. I refuse to go about this haphazardly and loose my investment, time, and energy on this. From the way I see this I have a long way to go. I have this idea and I truly believe it can work and work well. I am a firm believer in having all of my ducks in a row before I make any decision. I will be combing this forum, other resources, and asking as many questions as I possibly can. I will make this happen someday and do it right. Not add it to the list of business attempts.

As far as the 4000 fire fighters being my customer base I did not say that would be it. That could be a small piece to the puzzle and know I have to market this like crazy to everyone.

I think it's a cool idea. I would try to find something a bit more affordable though. In regards to the person falling out of an ambulance, I had no clue about that, I was just making a hypothetical point. That sucks that it happened for that ambulance crew!

Which part would be affordable? The initial cost for the vehicle? It might be very hard to find that specific of a vehicle for significantly less. I doubt that truck would be the full 25k too. These departments get their trucks for next to nothing so i would have no problem offering them 15 for it. Plus some of the equipment that comes with the truck can still be sold off. I have the next several days off and i will be working on the business plan and financials.

That can be an easy fix. I can and would install an electronic lock on the door that can be controlled from the front of the vehicle.
    This could be very bad in the event the driver is incapacitated and the passengers need to exit in an emergency (recently happened in our area). Will there be an additional emergency exit also? The ambulance has a side door to the back, right? Roof hatch also?
    FAIRFAX LIMO - Northern Virginia and Washington DC Limo Service

Lincoln TC (Executive) - multiple
    Lincoln TC (Executive L) - multiple
    Lincoln TC 100" Stretch by US Coachworks
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by DaBryan
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Krystal (2)
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Executive
    Lincoln TC 72" Stretch by Krystal
    Ford Excursion 180" by Legendary
    Hummer H2 200" by Krystal
    Hummer H2 180" by Craftsmen
    K33 Limobus/Party Bus (F550) by Krystal

Fairfax Limo also offers Virginia Wine Tours

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax Limo View Post
    This could be very bad in the event the driver is incapacitated and the passengers need to exit in an emergency (recently happened in our area). Will there be an additional emergency exit also? The ambulance has a side door to the back, right? Roof hatch also?
    Understood. It is actually not an ambulance but the fire rescue. As far as I know the rear door and a side door are there. Not sure about a roof hatch. As far as building a roof hatch into it I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if it doesn't have one already. Would a one way type of lock work? Only have the ability to open the door from the outside? What could be done to prevent people from exiting the rear? Or are you suggesting get rid of the rear door altogether?

I'm off to construct a Business plan. Anyone with a sample or input would be appreciated. I looked through the "starting a limo business" thread and couldn't find a clean cut answer.

Wow. Well I just was doing some research and came across the CO regs for a limo. At first I got a little scared but I think it will work out.

COLORADO PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION
    Exempt Passenger Carrier Registration
    g:\trn\forms\app exempt pass.doc revised 10/26/2010 5
    Rule 6305. Luxury Limousine Features.
    (b) Age of Motor Vehicles. Except for luxury limousines covered under rule 6308(a)(IV) and/or vehicles covered by rule 6309, luxury limousine carriers shall not use vehicles older than ten model years as of July 1st of each year. For purposes of this rule, the counting of model years shall begin with the present calendar year.
    By way of example, between July 1, 2009, and June 30, 2010, counting backwards, 2009 is the first model year, 2008 is the second model year, and so forth.
    Rule 6308. Luxury Limousine Categories.
    (a) A luxury limousine shall fit one or more of the following categories:
    (I) Stretched limousine, which is a motor vehicle whose wheelbase has been lengthened beyond the manufacturer's original specifications whether at the manufacturer's factory or otherwise.
    (II) Executive car, which is a motor vehicle that has four doors and is:
    (A) A sedan including Acura RL, Audi A8 Series, Audi A6 Series, Audi S8 Series, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Bentley Arnage, BMW 7 Series, BMW 5 Series, BMW Alpina, BMW M5, Cadillac DTS, Chrysler 300, Ferrari 612, Infiniti M Series, Jaguar S-Type, Jaguar Vdp Lwb, Jaguar XJ Series, Jaguar X-Type Series, Jaguar Super, Lexus LS Series, Lexus G Series, Lexus E Series, Lincoln Town Car, Maserati Quattroporte, Maybach 57 Series, Maybach 62 Series, Mercedes-Benz S Class Series. Mercedes-Benz E Class Series, or Rolls Royce Phantom; or
    (B) A sport utility vehicle including Audi Q7, Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Excursion, Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon, Hummer (all models, excluding sport utility truck version), Infiniti QX, Lexus LX, Lincoln Navigator, Mercedes-Benz M Class Series, Mercedes-Benz G Class Series, or Mercury Mariner Hybrid with livery package.
    (III) Executive van, which is a motor vehicle built on a cutaway chassis, a motor coach, or a van (but not a mini van as classified by the manufacturer) whose interior has been enhanced by the installation of either:
    (A) Captain’s chairs, couch seats, or similar seating in place of standard bench seating; or
    (B) Both of the following:
    (i) An electronic video media system such as television, DVD, or VHS that is securely attached to the motor vehicle in a professional manner. The screen shall have a diagonal measurement of at least three inches, be viewable by passengers seated to the rear of the driver, and be in compliance with 49 C.F.R., 393.88.
    (ii) Beverages and beverage service amenities, including at least an ice container and glasses or cups. The beverages and amenities shall be securely positioned inside a console or cabinet located inside the passenger compartment, to include any containment system, console and cup holder built into the motor vehicle by the manufacturer, and securely attached to the motor vehicle in a professional manner. The beverages are not required to be alcoholic in nature.
    (IV) Other limousine, which is a classic, antique, or specially built motor vehicle that has or had a retail value of fifty thousand dollars or more.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

I'm off to construct a Business plan. Anyone with a sample or input would be appreciated. I looked through the "starting a limo business" thread and couldn't find a clean cut answer.
    A business plan is very simple...you need to come up with numbers for revenue and costs for the next 5 years. Be honest with yourself. Go low instead of high. Now the complicated part: realistic numbers for costs and revenue. This is hard as you really do not know how well you are going to do. You will need to do market research to see what everyone else is charging in your market (every market is different - do not forget this) and how often their units move. You will also need a cost for advertising. Call around to different places you think you will advertise in and see what the costs are (you might be surprised by this number and remember every market is different). You will need a cost on how much maintenance will run you - of course, another hard number to come up with since you do not know what will break. It basically comes down to research. You will need to talk to different fire stations to see what they pay in maintenance, of course you will probably (or...hopefully) be putting more miles on. This should give you a good start. When you have some real numbers (including a personal financial statement showing your assets vs. liabilities), then you should find an investor you trust to give you a solid answer on whether or not your plan will work. Sure life is all about risks, but numbers don't lie - lairs do numbers.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Understood. It is actually not an ambulance but the fire rescue. As far as I know the rear door and a side door are there. Not sure about a roof hatch. As far as building a roof hatch into it I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if it doesn't have one already. Would a one way type of lock work? Only have the ability to open the door from the outside? What could be done to prevent people from exiting the rear? Or are you suggesting get rid of the rear door altogether?

You can't keep the door locked without the passengers being able to unlock it. You've got to have emergency exits. You should look up Mark Haswell with Craftsmen Limbusine in Springfield MO. He's a wealth of knowledge on this stuff. When we were building a H2 with them back in 2003 he explained to me that the law says the emergency exit must be able to be operated with "2 actions" by the passenger. one would be sliding a lever, like the ones on emergency windows, or the lock on a door. the second would be pushing the window, or pulling the door handle which causes it to open.

The lock has to be able to be operated by the passenger. For example, on the rear hatch where the lock assembly "hides" down in the panel when in locked position, the actual lock has to be extended so the passenger can operated it manually.
    FAIRFAX LIMO - Northern Virginia and Washington DC Limo Service

Lincoln TC (Executive) - multiple
    Lincoln TC (Executive L) - multiple
    Lincoln TC 100" Stretch by US Coachworks
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by DaBryan
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Krystal (2)
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Executive
    Lincoln TC 72" Stretch by Krystal
    Ford Excursion 180" by Legendary
    Hummer H2 200" by Krystal
    Hummer H2 180" by Craftsmen
    K33 Limobus/Party Bus (F550) by Krystal

Fairfax Limo also offers Virginia Wine Tours

I found a sample business plan in another tread and am working on it as we speak.

That makes sense about the lock. How do you keep people from exiting the back when the vehicle is moving? I remember being in a H2 limo years ago and some kid was getting in and out when the truck was still moving. Makes sense why the driver got pissed and after reading some posts about release forms I would drop everyone off right then and there. Is Craftsmen Limbusine a reputable builder? I will be looking into the conversion this week and want a good builder. If I could find one close to Colorado then that would be even better.