Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sedan at the SHOW

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    This is a service oriented business and the brand name on the car isn't going to matter in the long run. We will see how the market takes to this vehicle, but if we sell it as a vehicle that gets better fuel economy and a smaller "carbon footprint" and focus on providing the best service we can, the market should embrace this vehicle.
    I would disagree, Americans have been very brand loyal. I also do not think many people really put "carbon footprint" over comfort as the ratio of LTCs vs. hybrids in ORD's lot on any given night is about 50:1. Brand: why do you see Mercedes and LTCs, but very few BMWs or Lexi in livery lots?
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by wflimonj View Post
    Thank you tim for putting my personal shit on blast. This was between me, you, and jared. Not for the whole forum to see how shit of a company I run.
    Charles, you know your market. It's your company...that's why we start our own companies...so we can do what we want.

Tim, alot of that post does not have anything to do with this thread and honestly...uncalled for.
    Rich Rottier

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mill Limousine View Post
    Charles, you know your market. It's your company...that's why we start our own companies...so we can do what we want.

Tim, alot of that post does not have anything to do with this thread and honestly...uncalled for.

While I also agree it was uncalled for I think the post contained a lot of information that can be very helpful to the other guy (sorry I dont know anyone around here yet). While it sucks that it was made public I also feel like that kind of stuff can open your eyes and really help you change. I for one would be gratefull to have someone say things like that to me.. well maybe not at first but after a while I would see that it was to help me not to put me down. It was helpfull criticism not an attack.

Now I would say that post was not to go on about how bad of a company he runs but more as a helpful hand. We are all here to learn and discuss. Without posts like that where would this forum go? I do not think he had a rude or hurtfull tone to his message and it seems like they are friends so I dont see the problem other than that this should have been in its own thread or in a pm... not a thread about sedans.

Thank you tim for putting my personal shit on blast. This was between me, you, and jared. Not for the whole forum to see how shit of a company I run.
    The discussions we have had, with the exception of the minivan portions, have been in public forums. I just summed them up here.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

It will be a few years before I have to worry about what to replace the LTC with as the 2011s will be ok for us to use for awhile I would think. Personally, whether it is built in America or not - it is still owned by another country. I would rather support American companies. I still don't like the fact that our gov't bought out GM, but if it came down to it...I would buy GM over Toyota.
    Buying a Toyota Avalon supports America better than buying a new Lincoln Town Car or many GM vehicles because the Avalon is assembled in Kentucky and not in Canada or South Korea like the Town Car and several GM vehicles.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

I would disagree, Americans have been very brand loyal. I also do not think many people really put "carbon footprint" over comfort as the ratio of LTCs vs. hybrids in ORD's lot on any given night is about 50:1. Brand: why do you see Mercedes and LTCs, but very few BMWs or Lexi in livery lots?
    Apparently the point I was trying to make of the DTS being hard and uncomfortable to get out of has been lost. The DTS is not a comfortable car. The Avalon is much more comfortable.

When it comes to picking vehicles, we, as operators, have chosen the Lincoln Town Car over the DTS because it is a workhouse and has a longevity that is realistically 3 times that of the DTS with lower purchasing and maintenance costs. The replacement for the LTC will ultimately be decided by us. When it comes to our "base" executive vehicle, we make those decisions but the market does have to approve them.

As for the Benz over Lexus and BMW...those are "premium" vehicles and those vehicles are selected by our clients over us.

Pollute emissions are still a big thing. Environmental policies are still requested in RFPs. Running vehicles with lower emissions, not to mention better fuel economy, will help win some of those contracts. As Professor Schuler has stated many times, contract work is where the money is. Better fuel economy will lower our costs making our bids for these contracts even more competitive.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

What I posted has a lot more to do with this thread then you might think. This is not a market where we can run the vehicles that we absolutely want to run. Yes, we as operators have a large say in the vehicles that we run, but we must be careful in what we choose. The market must accept it and we must choose vehicles that keep our costs down, costs that include purchase price, maintenance, and fuel, to help have profits. And different market segments are going to require different vehicles. Some markets will require luxury SUVs and will be willing to pay a price for it. Other markets will want low prices and minivans will be sufficient. But all in all, our back offices need to be in order to understand each market segment we wish to serve.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

I should also note that I had some chips from a deli last week that came in a bag with a statement that the company producing the chips saying that they buy carbon offsets to run a "Net zero" operation. You cannot tell me that the green concept has disappeared completely and I believe it will likely come back once the economy has rebounded solidly.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Just can't get past it being a toyota. Looks wise it doesn't appeal to me. Oh well. When the time comes. I will still get a towncar for the future as of now.

I love the look of a black on black dts with chrome wheels.
    Just because you like the look of a specific vehicle doesn't mean that it is right for what you are trying to deliver. I like the look of the Lincoln MKZ, but there is no way it will work in our industry. I must find a vehicle that will regardless of whether I like the way it looks.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by Jim30 View Post
    I say if you can run it and it makes a profit who cares what it is. Some people don't care if you show up in a rick shaw or a jitney as long as you are on time.

If a minivan is going to run @ a profit..do it. I am looking at this market for next summer.
    Exactly. Sharecroppers worry about the make/model of the vehicle. Place an emphasis on service and the vehicle won't matter.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Do you know how many of those LTCs use alternative fuels? CNG and LPG for example.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Just can't get past it being a toyota. Looks wise it doesn't appeal to me. Oh well. When the time comes. I will still get a towncar for the future as of now.

I love the look of a black on black dts with chrome wheels.
    Lots of companies run Chevy Suburbans and Ford Expedition ELs are are extremely successful at it. The badge of the front of the vehicle is meaningless provided you deliver a high-class, customer-oriented service consistently.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Blog Entries

For the record, I don't think Charles runs a "shit of a company". He has nice vehicles (I rode in one of them) that are clean and well stocked - not to mention Chales is a great guy - trying to earn a living like the rest of us.

Blog Entries

Other markets will want low prices and minivans will be sufficient.

Just segment your business and test the waters in both sedans and shuttle type share ride services. Nothing wrong with this. If the market will not hold the vans, dump them. That's what I am going to try.
    Last edited by Jim30; November 13th, 2010 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Buying a Toyota Avalon supports America better than buying a new Lincoln Town Car or many GM vehicles because the Avalon is assembled in Kentucky and not in Canada or South Korea like the Town Car and several GM vehicles.
    I look at it as supporting Ford supports the 2 plants located here in Chicago - whether those plants build TCs or not. If China comes in and buys all the companies but one and keeps all the American workers, are you still going to say that it supports America? Toyota might win the livery challenge, but I am still hoping an American company comes up with something better (like one that will fit 3 in the back and airbags for better ride).
    Rich Rottier