Thread: H2 Hummer no-start issue

Blog Entries

I swear, it never fails when I really need this thing to start. In the past year the H2 Hummer has had an issue 5 times of not being able to start. The batteries have been checked and are good. When this happens, sometimes all power is lost (power windows, etc.) but sometimes everything works as normal, but no reaction to the key being turned no matter what. Of course this problem only happens when I need it to start, just had to cancel a wedding for today 1 hour before the service because the damn thing won't go and it's blocking all other cars. It is very annoying and no one can find the problem because it works fine when they are looking at it, they can't fix a problem that isn't there.

I would like to just tow it off to the dealer right now but I know it will fire right up for them tomorrow without a problem. Anyone have issues like this in an H2 ??

BTW, smacking the starter solonoid has no effect. If I wait a few hours I KNOW it will fire right up, it always does. This is only the 2nd cancellation I've had to do, normally I get it fired just in the nick of time. I totally HATE calling anyone to cancel for a wedding, that's the WORST thing in the limo biz I'm ever had to do.

Digger
    I had the same problem with one of my H2's when I first got it. I could not figure it out. I called the coach builder and they could not figure it out. After hours of trouble shooting and the car starting at random when it wanted to, it was a loose battery cable. I really felt like a dummy.

Worth a shot. Check it out.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

Also make sure you have a "constant duty solenoid" in there. Not just a regular solenoid. Napa part number: ST85

Also sometimes when this happens you need to jump the alternator. Normally we just take the positive from the batter put a jumper cable on it, put the other side of the jumper cable on the back of the alternator. Normally this indicates a bad alternator or battery. The alternator won't start up if it doesnt have say at least 8-10 volts of power to start it.

When was the last time you replaced the battery? Have you had the battery and alternator tested?
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: Party Bus for sale www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities inbetween - over 14,000+ customers and counting!

Blog Entries

Does it crank up and sounds like no fuel was getting in or the battery sounds week?

This has happened to everyone i am sure, but luckily we just give them 50% off and bring out a different limo.

Just tough love Digger. On one of my Hummer, the check engine light always comes on. And it is the same fuel code. They always blame me for not clicking the gas cap shut at least 5 times. Sometimes it creates a vacuum when the car is sitting for a week was the answer i got from the dealer because the fuel line is so long.

Blog Entries

Still no start 6 hours later, this time it's longer than normal. It doesn't crank at all, turning the key has no effect at all other than all gauges drop while holding the key in the start position (which is normal). Other than the starter not engaging everything is normal right now. So, I'm guessing I need to remove the starter and have the solonoid checked/replaced, inspect all connections and wires, have the alts checked and batteries checked again with a heavier load tester. Sounds like tomorrow will be a long day.

Blog Entries

Keep us up to date Digger.

Maybe you need a new starter? We keep spares for all of our cars.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: Party Bus for sale www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities inbetween - over 14,000+ customers and counting!

Member Limo Padawan

Have not had this problem on my 05 yet, and wish it never happens to me. The worst thing yet to happen was someone took the key from a 10pack on a friday night and it was by the shop door all the drivers were 15 min late to a pick up, luckly i was near by jacked it and pushed it outside until the driver brought back the key. A simple mistake can throw a whole day off
    Often Immitated, Never Duplicated!!

www.limoservicedenver.com

Blog Entries

So far no answers have been found, the H2 is still D.I.D. (Dead In Driveway) I've done some research and discovered a common GM problem is in the Passlock System but I'm not sure if this is the problem yet. I've checked for codes, all is good. I've had the battery tested, it's in great shape. The only other possible problem could be the ignition switch (the one mounted on top of the column, behind the dash) but with the power windows, radio and other things not working with the key on I doubt this is the problem. I may just replace it as a test since it's not an expensive part.

Dome lights and PDL's work at all times.

Key at ACC (first click): Dash lights on, Driving lights ON.

Key in RUN position (second click): dash lights die, no radio, no power windows. The odd thing is that the compass and temp in the mirror are working. Driving lights ON. BATT light in dash ON.

First attempt to start: Driving lights go off and stay off till something somewhere resets (approx. 10 minutes). BATT light in dash goes off in START position and comes back on in RUN position. Compass and temp are back ON in RUN position.

Starter solenoids and ignition switches normally keep a car from starting, but don't normally effect other power options from operating.

No matter what you do with the key, the rear power is totally dead at all times. I'm corn-fused.

Senior Member Limo Padawan limo bill's Avatar

Digger,

I understand all the symtoms and conditions your are describing, as we to have a 2003 non stretched hummer. Have you ever considered it be some sort of hummer mother board or cental processing unit ( CPU )problem. To me it sounds electrical / computer related problem. Provided you have checked all the hard core mechanical possibilities i.e , battery, alts, starter etc. its seems when you are telling the car to start it is not processing your request to the appropiate componets. Its brain dead basicly. I can't be sure but after 18 years in the biz nothing suprises me. You seem real sharpe, I'm sure you will fix it , keep us informed. Good Luck !!
    " Luck is when preparation & opportunity come together "

Blog Entries

Digger Buddy,

It is time to bring in a better man. Ie A GM Technician.

Have the vechicle towed to the nearest Hummer dealer or go to H2 dealer and see if the any of the technicians want to make some extra cash on the side. They can come to you.

If not explain to the service manager your situation and I am sure they will send someone to have a look.

It is going to be Wednesday and i will pay anything to have the car back on the road.

Blog Entries

Ahhh, I feel soo much better... I figured it out. Here's the answer, in case others have a similar problem...

Under the hood by the battery there is a fuse box. I checked there and everything looked fine, until I looked further. All fuses checked good but I hadn't checked the little square fusible-link thingies. There are two that caught my eye, one is labeled IGN-A and the other is labeled IGN-B, well, the IGN-A was good but the IGN-B was bad (maybe the reason some stuff worked and others didn't). I swapped them out using the blower link part and she fired right up. I went to Parts America and invested a whopping 8 bucks (even bought a spare) and boom, all is working and doing fine.

My only question now is... what caused the problem ? I'm thinking that maybe I just over-loaded it Saturday night with everything, including the heated seats. So, there is now a spare in the glove box, hopefully it will never be needed but it would get me home.

Thanks for all of the input guys, that's why I love these forums.

Originally posted by Digger:
    Ahhh, I feel soo much better... I figured it out. Here's the answer, in case others have a similar problem...

Under the hood by the battery there is a fuse box. I checked there and everything looked fine, until I looked further. All fuses checked good but I hadn't checked the little square fusible-link thingies. There are two that caught my eye, one is labeled IGN-A and the other is labeled IGN-B, well, the IGN-A was good but the IGN-B was bad (maybe the reason some stuff worked and others didn't). I swapped them out using the blower link part and she fired right up. I went to Parts America and invested a whopping 8 bucks (even bought a spare) and boom, all is working and doing fine.

My only question now is... what caused the problem ? I'm thinking that maybe I just over-loaded it Saturday night with everything, including the heated seats. So, there is now a spare in the glove box, hopefully it will never be needed but it would get me home.

Thanks for all of the input guys, that's why I love these forums.
    Glad you are up and running, but I have checked every technical manual I know of and can't find any information on "fusible-link thingies."

Blog Entries

Digger you the man. This will be very usually in the future when anyone has any similar problems.

The Hummer H2 has 3 ignition switch circuits.
    Maybe one of them might be lose or malfuncting.

I remember talking to a guy at our local gas station who told me that his regular H2 went dead after they reset the Change Engine oil warning light and had to tow it to the dealer.Forgot to ask him what the problem was.

Call Westwind and see if they had any similar problems before. I hope this never happens to you again.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by LIMOJESS:
    Call Westwind and see if they had any similar problems before. I hope this never happens to you again.
    HA !! I was up to see Tom at Westwind just yesterday about this problem, he was as lost as I was about it. I did give him a call today and let him know what the deal was, he was glad to have the feedback and know that I was on the road again. Great dude and knows his stuff !!

BTW, Westwind is only 10 minutes from my house, I know Jim (owner) pretty well.