Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: How to position yourself for a tip?

  1. #1
    Junior Member rolls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Omaha,Nebraska,USA
    Posts
    6

    Default How to position yourself for a tip?

    I'm pretty new to the business, (less than a year) most of my business is weddings.

    wondering how do you position yourself for a tip, without blatantly sticking your hand out.

    I believe I'm doing a good job, I've received thank you emails that say things like "I felt like a princess", and once a photographer rode along and said. mine was "the best service" she'd seen in 15 years.

    Maybe its just weddings?

    If I do a birthday or anniversary the tips are always good, but weddings, no matter how pleased the bride and groom are, tips are a few spare bills in the groom's pocket or not at all.

    Do young people not think about tipping?

  2. #2
    Senior Member LIMOJESS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    seattle, wa
    Posts
    1,521
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Do what many of us do, charge a 20% tip and then everyone will know it has been covered.

  3. #3
    Junior Member rolls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Omaha,Nebraska,USA
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    Do what many of us do, charge a 20% tip and then everyone will know it has been covered.
    I don't see a lot of that in my market, but may have to give it a try

  4. #4
    Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Crown Point, Indiana (Northern Indiana)
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    rolls, I am wondering if the weddings think it is already rolled in. They have so much on their mind, they are really in a fog. We rarely get over tipped on a wedding unless one of the fathers pays for the run - then, 99% of the time they slide out an extra bill (we too have a mandatory 20%). One of the other things that comes to mind: is the person answering your phones telling the clients that gratuity is not included? If so, then just pamper your guests as if they were the Queen of England and you will get tipped well - not every time, but you will be rewarded.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    Do what many of us do, charge a 20% tip and then everyone will know it has been covered.
    When was the last time you went out to a restaurant received sub standard service and when the check came 20% was added in? Not referring to anyone in general just saying I would be pretty upset over something like that. We have alway's included gratuity on corporate account's however with retail we let the client decide, We recommend 15-20% based on the level of service. This keep's the Chauffeur's on their toe's. It's all in what I call planting the seed, before we load passenger's we go over the reservation agreement with the client to make sure they understand the rule's and if you break you buy so to speak, at the end of this we throw in the "my gratuity is not included in this amount, this is up to you at the end of the service's, please tip me accordingly. We have had great success with this, Yes sometime's you will get cheap asses but you will also get the generous one's that tip over 20% so it becomes a wash.

  6. #6
    Member Krdalstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Night to remember you don't include 20% gratuity on retail night life clients? How does that work with drivers ?

    I don't think i could I could keep good chauffeurs if we left gratuity open to only a recommendation of 15-20% Especially on night life--weddings---etc---

  7. #7

    Default

    I would collect the tip at the time of booking for such a service.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krdalstr View Post
    Night to remember you don't include 20% gratuity on retail night life clients? How does that work with drivers ?

    I don't think i could I could keep good chauffeurs if we left gratuity open to only a recommendation of 15-20% Especially on night life--weddings---etc---
    I know it seem's risky however as I said earlier client's will sometimes tip more than 20% other will just do 15-20. When we take the reservation we tell the customer over the phone that gratuity is NOT included, when the Chauffeur meet's the client he goes over the contract and in bold it states at the bottom GRATUITY NOT INCLUDED this "plants the seed" and the Chauffeur does his job better knowing his tip is on the line. It's very rare for the driver to get stiffed, if they do it's probably because they didn't do something right and that's their fault. If the Chauffeur did everything correct and did not receive a tip I will contact the client to make sure the level of service was ok, usually at that point they will either complain or apologize and add a gratuity to the credit card. I have been doing this for many year's and it work's well for us. Believe me when I say that I have had the pre-madonna drivers that expect 20% no matter what and those are the drivers that loose me customer's, Notice I said driver's.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    532
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I agree with Night to Remember. This should be understood when the deal is made by who ever takes the reservation. Language such as "a 20% gratuity to the Chauffeur is customary". This should also be on the contract in bold print.

    Now if the Chauffeur does do everything right and no tip is forthcoming he/she might want to say to the client " was there something wrong with the service?" When the client responds that "every thing was fine" the Chauffuer might say "Well it is customary to tip the Chauffeur and I was just concerned that I may had done something to offend you". Either they will tip you or they are just plain Jerks.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Crown Point, Indiana (Northern Indiana)
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    It's very rare for the driver to get stiffed, if they do it's probably because they didn't do something right and that's their fault. If the Chauffeur did everything correct and did not receive a tip I will contact the client to make sure the level of service was ok, usually at that point they will either complain or apologize and add a gratuity to the credit card. I have been doing this for many year's and it work's well for us. Believe me when I say that I have had the pre-madonna drivers that expect 20% no matter what and those are the drivers that loose me customer's, Notice I said driver's.
    We did this our first 2 years. You are right in that we usually received 15 - 20% and sometimes more. But every once in a while someone hands you a $50 on a $500 job and it stings. I had it once with a bachorlette party. I wasn't sure what was going on, she handed me some $30 on a $600 job and said thank you like 5 times and kept saying how much fun they had. I smiled and told her thank you for her business. I know I told her at least twice on the phone that gratuity was not included and that it is normally 15-20%. I really think that she probably added wrong and thought that $30 was a lot of money for tip. She wrote 3 glowing reviews and sent a bunch of pics for us. I have a few other instances where my guys got jipped, I called the customer the next day as a courtesy call, and got nothing but praises. I am the only one who answers and I always remind them that normal tip is 15-20% and that it was not included. Your post above about being mad if they included the tip at a restaurant - what other industry underpays their staff expecting you to overpay your bill? I know, some of the hotel staff sometimes still expect tips. In some way, I agree, they should get paid by their performance. Unfortunately, you can't say that every time they are undertipped they did something wrong. Here is a suggestion to be fair: if they get undertipped, call the client and ask if everything was ok. If there is nothing bad said, they you make up the tip to the chauffeur. If you truly feel that they almost always only get undertipped when they provide poor service, then you won't have to pay out that much!
    Last edited by Cedar Mill Limousine; July 21st, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Crown Point, Indiana (Northern Indiana)
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Metcalf View Post
    I agree with Night to Remember. This should be understood when the deal is made by who ever takes the reservation. Language such as "a 20% gratuity to the Chauffeur is customary". This should also be on the contract in bold print.

    Now if the Chauffeur does do everything right and no tip is forthcoming he/she might want to say to the client " was there something wrong with the service?" When the client responds that "every thing was fine" the Chauffuer might say "Well it is customary to tip the Chauffeur and I was just concerned that I may had done something to offend you". Either they will tip you or they are just plain Jerks.
    David, whenever someone hands me a tip (it is now over our mandatory 20%), I never count it in front of them. Before our mandatory tip the same applied - I never counted in front of them. When in the retail market, you can explain to people a dozen times that the tip is usually 15-20%, but $50 sounds like a lot to a lot of people no matter what the bill ends up being. It works well in restaurants because the bill is usually less than $200. This is why gratuity is added to groups of 15 or more - the bill is high enough where people don't realize that they are not tipping enough. We have found our clients enjoy the fact there is one price and that they do not have to think about calculating tip. We often receive additional gratuity.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mill Limousine View Post
    Here is a suggestion to be fair: if they get undertipped, call the client and ask if everything was ok. If there is nothing bad said, they you make up the tip to the chauffeur. If you truly feel that they almost always only get undertipped when they provide poor service, then you won't have to pay out that much!
    Funny you say that, I actually have reached in my pocket once or twice, like I said sometimes you run across a cheap ass and theirs nothing you can do about that. Overall thought it works for us, We book many more jobs over the competition on this basis alone, put yourself on the other end of the phone would you book with the company that makes it mandatory or the company that puts the decision where it belongs- with the client? Please dont forget the definition of gratuity =

    A tip (also called a gratuity) is a voluntary extra payment made to certain service sector workers in addition to the advertised price of the transaction. Such payments and their size are a matter of social custom. Tipping varies among cultures and by service industry. Though by definition a tip is never legally required, and its amount is at the discretion of the patron being served, in some circumstances failing to give an adequate tip when one is expected may be considered very miserly, a violation of etiquette, or unethical. In some other cultures or situations, giving a tip is not expected and offering one would be considered condescending or demeaning. In some circumstances, such as with U.S. government workers, tipping is illegal.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Crown Point, Indiana (Northern Indiana)
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    Funny you say that, I actually have reached in my pocket once or twice, like I said sometimes you run across a cheap ass and theirs nothing you can do about that. Overall thought it works for us, We book many more jobs over the competition on this basis alone, put yourself on the other end of the phone would you book with the company that makes it mandatory or the company that puts the decision where it belongs- with the client? Please dont forget the definition of gratuity =

    A tip (also called a gratuity) is a voluntary extra payment made to certain service sector workers in addition to the advertised price of the transaction. Such payments and their size are a matter of social custom. Tipping varies among cultures and by service industry. Though by definition a tip is never legally required, and its amount is at the discretion of the patron being served, in some circumstances failing to give an adequate tip when one is expected may be considered very miserly, a violation of etiquette, or unethical. In some other cultures or situations, giving a tip is not expected and offering one would be considered condescending or demeaning. In some circumstances, such as with U.S. government workers, tipping is illegal.
    That is good of you! I hope you do it every time, especially if you pay your people on the assumption that they are getting it - remember, it is only supposed to be a gift!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

  14. #14
    Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Crown Point, Indiana (Northern Indiana)
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    The reason we call it a gratuity and split up the cost of the run to show 20% extra is so that there is no misunderstanding that the client does not owe any more and that the chauffeur does not expect anymore.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Crown Point, Indiana (Northern Indiana)
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Sorry, one more thing...I feel that if the client is not happy (no matter what the reason), the blame falls on the company - be it poor training or poor oversight. If your chauffeur sucks so bad that the client under tipped him/her on purpose, then you need to ask why he/she is still working for you.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •