Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: private not for hire questions

  1. #31

    Default

    Just lighten up everyone jeez! So controlled by the system, wake up and do what ever the hell you wanna do with friends and family damn! Sorry my wife is a goody too shoes and it drives me nuts! I tell her what (wo)man has a right to tell you what you can or can't do!

  2. #32

    Default

    Some people on this forum get touchy because there have been more than enough aspiring gypsy operators that come here and basically ask us how to skirt the system and run a car service without proper insurance, without a business license, and without any of the overhead required of a legitimate business so they can undercut a legitimate operator's prices and steal business away.

    Many here would question why you would come onto a professional car service provider board to ask if it was okay to take gas money from a friend for a ride. That's why some members here jumped down your throat. Seriously, if they're your friends or family and need a ride and you're there to help out, I'd say there is no problem accepting gas money from them. But if you started soliciting yourself as a car service, that's when I would have a problem with you.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

  3. #33

    Default

    Exactly vintage, people just need to realize it's not that hard to distinguish business from pleasure! I'm getting my own limo and your damn right it will be enjoyed for personal use picking up friends and family. Am I gonna charge them for the comfy ride? Hell no but if they absolutely insist on giving me fuel money am I gonna say aww heck no then you are a client lol wtf lighten up people! I have one boss and that is myself unless I'm employed by someone else..

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneLimo View Post
    Exactly vintage, people just need to realize it's not that hard to distinguish business from pleasure! I'm getting my own limo and your damn right it will be enjoyed for personal use picking up friends and family. Am I gonna charge them for the comfy ride? Hell no but if they absolutely insist on giving me fuel money am I gonna say aww heck no then you are a client lol wtf lighten up people! I have one boss and that is myself unless I'm employed by someone else..
    Actually, it is. FamilyLimo got hassled at an airport because the cops couldn't distinguish.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Houston/TX
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    Actually, it is. FamilyLimo got hassled at an airport because the cops couldn't distinguish.
    I felt violated.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Limos View Post
    But if you started soliciting yourself as a car service, that's when I would have a problem with you.
    Yeah, seems several folks didn't read my posts but rather jumped to that inaccurate conclusion.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    123

    Default

    I could carry my family in a Malibu four days a week but carry a stranger for pay four days per month and the insurance multiplies 100-fold.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    I could carry my family in a Malibu four days a week but carry a stranger for pay four days per month and the insurance multiplies 100-fold.
    Exactly! Feel our pain!
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lou., Ky & all other states
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    I could carry my family in a Malibu four days a week but carry a stranger for pay four days per month and the insurance multiplies 100-fold.
    The risk changes. You cause bodily injury to your household family members and your liability limits do not provide any coverage.

    You put a customer in place of your family and now you have liability exposure. When your cargo is a human, they tend to expect certain levels of care and when those levels are not met, then they tend to sue.

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Houston/TX
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    I could carry my family in a Malibu four days a week but carry a stranger for pay four days per month and the insurance multiplies 100-fold.
    Remind me, do you have a private limo like me? I am wondering about insurance because I just have Farmers and the collision coverage is just for a regular town car, and not the extra value of a limo. So if I get totaled I am out about $10k. Do you have a better option?Insurance King gave me a recommendation, but they wouldn't even return my calls...

  11. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    The risk changes. You cause bodily injury to your household family members and your liability limits do not provide any coverage.

    You put a customer in place of your family and now you have liability exposure. When your cargo is a human, they tend to expect certain levels of care and when those levels are not met, then they tend to sue.
    Yeah, the risk does change. The risk is higher for the family members whose exposure to the road and the driver's abilities are many times more than the public in this small-time business example.

    What changes is the ability of lawyers to use people of different associations to the driver to obtain money from that driver. That's the "liability exposure" you are talking about. It has nothing to do with health risk to the passengers but everything to do with more opportunities to fleece the driver for money.

    If risk to human safety were really the matter here, then the family would require more insurance coverage because their exposure to the road and the driver's skills is many times more than the four runs per month on the weekend for Jack and Jill Public.

    But the "system" doesn't care about people's safety. It's built around getting people's money so the system has made Jack and Jill Public more risky because lawyers can use them to sue much easier than they can use the family members to sue.

    Phil, this isn't anything against you personally. Thanks for posting from the insurance industry's perspective. My replies are to the logic, not to you personally. I'm glad you are here.

    It's just another example of greed under the guise of safety. Greed from several groups/entities surrounding this industry just as it sadly surrounds just about every other industry and facet of life.
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; October 2nd, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

  12. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lou., Ky & all other states
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    The risk I am referring to is the risk assumed by the insurance company. You wreck your vehicle with your household family members in it and there is no coverage for their resulting bodily injury and property damage. Depending on the state, there may be P.I.P. or limited Medical Payments coverage (MIchigan is a different story as the P.I.P. laws are very anti-insurance), but for the most part you are on your own--they cannot sue you either.

    Turn that cargo from a household family member into a paying customer in the same wreck. If the vehicles owner purchased a Public Auto insurance policy, the insurance company now will respond to cover (up to the limits of liability purchased) the resulting bodily injury and property damage.

    Most states have mandatory insurance requirements for any vehicle--privately owned or commercial owned, I don't understand what system you're referring to.

    Thanks for the kind words, I speak up when I think I have something useful to offer.

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    Yeah, the risk does change. The risk is higher for the family members whose exposure to the road and the driver's abilities are many times more than the public in this small-time business example.

    What changes is the ability of lawyers to use people of different associations to the driver to obtain money from that driver. That's the "liability exposure" you are talking about. It has nothing to do with health risk to the passengers but everything to do with more opportunities to fleece the driver for money.

    If risk to human safety were really the matter here, then the family would require more insurance coverage because their exposure to the road and the driver's skills is many times more than the four runs per month on the weekend for Jack and Jill Public.

    But the "system" doesn't care about people's safety. It's built around getting people's money so the system has made Jack and Jill Public more risky because lawyers can use them to sue much easier than they can use the family members to sue.

    Phil, this isn't anything against you personally. Thanks for posting from the insurance industry's perspective. My replies are to the logic, not to you personally. I'm glad you are here.

    It's just another example of greed under the guise of safety. Greed from several groups/entities surrounding this industry just as it sadly surrounds just about every other industry and facet of life.
    There you go using logic and objective reasoning to think for yourself.

    I don't blame the insurance people at all, I blame the lawyers and a broken, corrupted justice system.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Limos View Post
    There you go using logic and objective reasoning to think for yourself.

    I don't blame the insurance people at all, I blame the lawyers and a broken, corrupted justice system.
    I don't blame them either. But the interest groups have made insurance requirements for carrying four people once for pay 20 times the cost of carrying those same four people 200 times without getting paid.

    Add more cars, do more runs, more clients, and have more exposure to risk and which direction does the insurance per car go?

    I'm a little leery of those who are over-zealous to protect themselves or their self-interests from competition and innovation. Either with higher fees, more regulation, requirements, etc, etc. This approach continues to suppress new ideas, innovation, etc and we wonder why we are continually slipping in the global marketplace.

    Here's food for thought:

    http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all

    All the regulation and expense placed on the industry has made the playing field uneven when something innovative comes along. So the answer seems to be to suppress the innovation rather than the over-regulation.

    And one of the associations pushes for an increase in insurance be placed on those operating legally with coverage because of the amount of people who aren't paying for insurance. So there is an abundance of illegal operators without insurance and licensing and the answer is to raise insurance and licensing requirements on the operators obeying the law? (yeah, this particular article is old but the mentality still applies.) I didn't catch anything in there that addresses the illegal operators but rather make it more difficult for those who operate legally.

    http://www.lctmag.com/operations/new...ance-standards
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; October 4th, 2013 at 07:51 PM.

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Houston/TX
    Posts
    452

    Default

    For what it's worth, I had a lawyer friend review the Texas Open Container laws, and it's legal for my passengers to have alcohol back there even though I am not for hire.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •