Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: private not for hire questions

Default private not for hire questions

ey everyone I am glad I found this board everyone seemed to be a great help to.one another and I am happy to be a part of your community.

Now to business. I own a website for vegas entertainment that is getting pretty popular and I currently use a lot of limo services.

I was wondering if it would be ok to have not for hire limos to add as a free perk into packages that are over a certain amount of money. Also we mostly rent another companies limo services and use them for our customers at no charge to make our comissions from clubs.

Do you think I would be given a hard time if I bought a couple private limos to cut back on thousands in fees if I never charged my customers and what regulations are there usury for not for hire service?
    Last edited by cvclubs; January 17th, 2014 at 12:48 AM.

This could be really dicey. The fact is....you are charging money for your services and even if you "say" you are giving them a free limo, you are really collecting money from a client so the ride is "for compensation". I would ask the CPCN. They are the ones that are going to "get you"" if you try to skirt it. Just be honest about what you plan to do. It may be totally legal.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    This could be really dicey. The fact is....you are charging money for your services and even if you "say" you are giving them a free limo, you are really collecting money from a client so the ride is "for compensation". I would ask the CPCN. They are the ones that are going to "get you"" if you try to skirt it. Just be honest about what you plan to do. It may be totally legal.
    I could understand the free limo for large purchases being on the iffy side. The main thing however is the strip club rides which we do not charge a penny for. No entry no limo no nothing. Even though its a business car this should not be an issue right?

You will still want to have the proper insurance for carrying passengers, but around here, you are only a public vehicle if your service meets a few criteria. One of those is being paid for yoru service so it would definitely fly here. You will have to check with your local authorities for sure to get their understanding. As mentioned, they will be the ones after you.
    Jon Hook

Stars Luxury Limousine Services - North Bay, Ontario
    www.Book-A-Van.com
    www.NorthBayBlackCarService.ca
    www.WeddingLimousineNorthBay.ca

2000 White 120" stretch AHA
    2003 Black Lincoln Town Car
    2008 Black Lincoln Town Car
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter

I think it would be a courtesy ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo-Service View Post
    I think it would be a courtesy ride.
    Exactly and there should be no issues with that right?

It depends on what the laws are in your area. It also depends on what you say everytime someone ask you about your service. Its a thin line and I can almost bet the agency that regulates want you on the otherside.

Default limo service

Quote Originally Posted by cvclubs View Post
    I guess my last question would be about insurance. For a private service can I still obtain insurance? I could have them all sign a waiver or something but id be much more comfortable with insurance.
    Insurance would be for your own protection. Who would sign a waiver? " Private Service" I think you are better off getting a license. Sorry.

What about gas money? No profit, no wear/tear money, just gas as if the car were an SUV and a friend asks, "Hey, can you run me down to the airport? I'll spot the gas money."

I'm not sure why you dug this out after over 3 years. But once you charge anything, you're doing it for hire. These are not your friends and you're not doing it as a favor.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Any exchange of money, constitutes a hired relationship. If you were doing it for your friend as a "favor" you would just drive your friend to the airport as a friend. You would not ask for gas money in most cases for a friend. At the time you exchange money, he becomes - your customer. Don't try to skirt the law.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Legally, "share the expense" transportation is not compensation for-hire.

However, I'm with Jim on this, that the typical person does not charge a friend for a trip to the airport.

I asked a lawyer about how he would question the for hire? he said, he would ask if when the car left the garage, was the intent for it to increase net profit of the owner by providing transportation of clients or possible clients, either by income or savings on cost, if yes it is for hire

Play with fire.....eventually you will get burned. Since I don't know your location, the next problem you might experience is then the airport police check your status. You may not get a ticket but you certainly could be delayed.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

I think the bottom line is that if your passenger(s) are going to say they aren't paying for the ride, the authorities have nothing on you.However, as we know, they can still make your life difficult if they feel like it. If you're showing up a lot at the airport dropping off and more so picking up friends, they are going to feel like it.