Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans Problems, I think!

Any Auto Trans Experts out there that can give me some advise/direction?

2003 Town Car Limousine (120"), Auto Trans 77,000 miles
    When Hot, after driving for about an hour vehicle will not go above 40MPH. Engine doesen't stall or sputter or anything just refuses to go above 40MPH. Engine will keep reving to higher RPM's but no increase in forward momentum.

Auto Trans Fluid Level is fine, Have not changed it in about 40K miles.

Low speed and low range driving feel normal in every gear up until about 40MPH

Is this the transmission, torque converter, is there a lock up solenoid on these cars, and could that be the problem?

Thanks for any Info!!
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

When you drive the car have you counted the number of gear changes ? Could be a worn band or a sticking valve in the trans, either way I'm afraid the only solution is to take it out and get it stripped (sorry). Don't forget that its false economy not to change the Torque converter while the trans is out (only fell for that one once way back in the 80's and I didn't like the second mechanics bill either).

It would be in 3rd. gear or OD if on when this happens. Could a band be fine at start up and then fail after a time?

Thanks for the advise ont he TC!!
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Steve -
    Another likely possibility is that the transmission electronics are preventing the tranmission from matching the engine revs either by preventing one or more upshifts. A number of cars have this feature as a protective feature when the electronics sense a problem. Sometimes all they have to do is re-set the control, but a quick computer read-out at a dealer will probably give you and answer.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve W.:
    Any Auto Trans Experts out there that can give me some advise/direction?

2003 Town Car Limousine (120"), Auto Trans 77,000 miles
    When Hot, after driving for about an hour vehicle will not go above 40MPH. Engine doesen't stall or sputter or anything just refuses to go above 40MPH. Engine will keep reving to higher RPM's but no increase in forward momentum.

Auto Trans Fluid Level is fine, Have not changed it in about 40K miles.

Low speed and low range driving feel normal in every gear up until about 40MPH

Is this the transmission, torque converter, is there a lock up solenoid on these cars, and could that be the problem?

Thanks for any Info!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    James H. Joseph
    Joseph Law Offices, P.C.
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    jhjoseph@joseph.law.pro

It could also be a malfuction in the traction control. We have had this problem before a few years ago. The traction control thinks one wheel is turning faster than the other and the car wont get up to interstate speeds.

I know this sounds crazy but has a tire been replaced lately? If all tires arent the exact same size it will throw your traction control off.

Member Limo Padawan

The cost will not be too much try changing the transmission filter and autogearbox fluid as a starting point and go from there,let us know how you get on.

77,000 miles limo should still be under warranty
    take to dealer and let lincoln worry about it.

I agree with Joel. Warranty issue.

It is QVM is it not?

I honestly couldn't see anyone buying a non-QVM 120 though, doesn't make sense.

3rd and OD are in the same part of the trans I believe, if they are slipping that would be the result. Of course, the idiot light would be going on when the input and output revs don't match/compute.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

We had a similar problem recently and it turned out it was the rear end.

By the way , just because it's QVM doesn't mean it's under warranty.

It's only under warranty if they used the 418 chassis.

My car is a 2002 model year with 80,000 miles and when I tried to get the rear end fixed under warranty they said no go.

The car only had the standard 3 year 50,000 mile warranty.

It was an executive chassis with the limo package , not the 418 chassis.

By the way , this QVM car cost $ 1600.00 to fix the rear end.

Never had to repair one of my "unsafe" non QVM cars. Not one has broken down.

Truth is QVM does not mean better.

QVM certification requires use of the 418 chassis....The 418 chassis is the limo package. If you own a non-418 chassis then it is a non-QVM vehicle and thus not eligible for any extended warranty, as stated on Ford/Lincoln's website.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by birmlimo:
    By the way , just because it's QVM doesn't mean it's under warranty.

It's only under warranty if they used the 418 chassis.

My car is a 2002 model year with 80,000 miles and when I tried to get the rear end fixed under warranty they said no go.

The car only had the standard 3 year 50,000 mile warranty.

It was an executive chassis with the limo package , not the 418 chassis.

Truth is QVM does not mean better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

TX , the builder we bought the cars from was listed with Ford as QVM.

The dealer told me that the car only has the 3 year 50,000 mile warranty on it.

The vin research they pulled up showed it as having a " limo Package " , yet only the 50,000 mile warranty.

Someone is pulling the wool over someones eyes and I have to pay for the lies.

Your dealer doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. What did the builder say after he stopped laughing at the alleged difference between "limo package" and "418 package"? Did you purchase this car, then have it stretched, or buy it new already stretched? I think you are the victim of paperwork not filed correctly. I blame your dealer more than anyone else, they evidently don't give a rat's butt about you, or your future business.

If anyone notices a preponderance of butt analogies in this post, that's because of what I smell of Birm's dealer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by birmlimo:

The vin research they pulled up showed it as having a " limo Package " , yet only the 50,000 mile warranty.

Someone is pulling the wool over someones eyes and I have to pay for the lies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

My recollection is fuzzy on this since it's been a number of years since we first bought Lincolns, but doesn't Ford require you to have a fleet number to qualify for the extended warranty? I think that's the difference between eligibility for the 50K and 150K. We have to provide that number when we buy a car.

Someone is pulling the wool over someones eyes and I have to pay for the lies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    James H. Joseph
    Joseph Law Offices, P.C.
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    jhjoseph@joseph.law.pro

I had this happen once before and the problem was with Ford's computer system. Sometime around 2001 the computers that hold the QVM information had a hard drive failure this caused the system to lose information on the registration date of the QVM limousines. I simply called Ford and faxed them the bill of sale and paperwork on my car that was in question. They called the dealer and got the situation straight.

It was bought converted along with a 120" as well.

The dealer told me today that there was a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty that was bought and put on the car by the dealer that sold it.

That expired October 30 , 2004. The rear end went out 2 weeks ago.

So I guess technically there was a 36 month 100,000 mile warranty on it.

I was under the impression that the warraty kicked in after you took deleivery of the vehicle. We bought it in late December 2001.