Thread: Bar Crawl Bus Business

Default Bar Crawl Bus Business

I am looking at starting a business that is somewhat like getting into the "limosine/party bus" business, but not exactly the same. My idea is to purchase just a school bus, paint it up crazy and have a "party on the bus" bar crawl around town 5-6 nights a week. It would be exactly like a tour of the town, but a lot more fun! I want to work it out with at least 5 (possibly 6) bars where they'd make a small cut of the admission fee to provide one free drink at each stop, but we'd be at each stop for at least 40 minutes, so inevitably most people would purchase more at each stop. I wouldn't allow drinking on the bus, and I'd pick up and drop off at the same location and make everyone sign a waiver prior to paying saying that they are solely responsible for their actions during and post-party. I live in a huge tourist area so I really think this will go over well. I need to know where I start with this, and if I'm dreaming in thinking that the city will allow this. I've combed through tons of threads on limo message boards looking for something similar, and haven't found anything regarding insurance and basic start-up costs (besides the bus). I also would need to hire a driver, so I need to know the costs involved with that. I was thinking about $25,000 in start-up costs should be sufficient, but I really don't have a clue. I'm young, very ambitious and eager to learn more about this business. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks, Julie

Welcome to the forum!

I don't target the bar crawl market much, so I don't have much input other than to advise you to make sure all interior surfaces are easily cleanable.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

High risk but worth a try. Why hire a driver? do it yourself (less risk, more control, less paper work and possibly lower insurance)

There is a Guy in the thumb of Michigan who uses old scholl buses and charged just about as we did for luxury Motor Coach.

I will probably have a 1996 Blue Bird TC 2000, 78 Pax up for bid this fall. The last bunch we sold (92 & 93's) for scrap price at $1,700.00 each. Change the seating pattern a little, throw a little paint on them and you are ready to go. Do a run, hose it out and you are ready to go again.

Blog Entries

It's a good concept if you can get the clubs in on it. Why not let alcohol on the bus though? I think you can get a decent bus for $5-7K and it will probably cost at least that much to do the conversion. Stay simple for your first one, after all it is a school bus. See what kind of money you can make from it and then make your next one based on your experience of what your customers in your market want.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Check on insurance before you put any money into it.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Their is a company that does this in Aruba their site is http://www.kukookunuku.com/, every time we go there we get on one of their buses, they run 5 or 6 of them, but they also include dinner first... Works great there because of the tourism and the weather... Might get you an idea of how to set it up.
    Michael Niederst
    President
    NM Limousine, LTD dba NM Limo Co.
    21400 Lorain Road | Fairview Park, OH 44126
    P. (440) 319-8900 | F. (440) 331-8815

In Baltimore/DC area there is a company called KegBus. I would check what they are charging, but they do allow alcohol, even provide a Keg.

Thanks for all of the replies. The Aruba bus is actually where I got the idea. I have been researching more since I posted here, and I am going to start with the insurance. The reason for no alcohol on the bus is because of the state. South Carolina (I guess I can feel free now to say it's the Myrtle Beach area where I'm looking to do this) is one of 4 states that do not allow passengers of commercial vehicles to have alcohol. Boo! But I think 1 free drink at each stop will make up for that, and I'm hoping the bars will give me a great deal since I'll guarantee at least 10-30 people in their bar for 40 minutes 5 nights a week.

In regards to your insurance, I suggest that you decide before you purchase a vehicle how many people you are going to be transporting on a regular basis. Your operations expenses are going to increase when you decide to operate vehicles that have total seating capacities in excess of 15. So if you are thinking that you will be transporting normally 10 people around, buy a smaller bus (15 or less total seating capacity). If you are thinking that you are going to be transporting 16 around, I suggest buying a 22pax or larger because your costs are going to be about the same as with the 16pax but you will have the capacity for larger groups if the need comes about.

I've been looking into starting up somewhat the same operation out here in california. One problem i'm finding so far is getting insured without three years of passanger bus driving experience. so before i even worry about the cost of insurance, i need to find a company willing to give me the 5 million in insurance required for the bus. Does anyone have any ideas?

Blog Entries

I would suggest a used air port shuttle bus not a school bus you might be able to find a good one on ebay
    Richard M
    Sales Manager
    www.americanlimosales.net
    americanlimosales@gmail.com
    (310) 762-1710 office
    5230 W. Century Blvd Los Angeles CA 90045