Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Towncar Stretch won't stay running

Default Towncar Stretch won't stay running

I got a 2000 lincoln towncar stretch 120" that won't stay running. It starts up for about 5-10 seconds then dies. We replaced the fuel pump, the mass air flow sensor, the fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. It like chokes and dies after 10 seconds like its not getting fuel. We've used 2 different keys just in case it was the security system.

Any ideas?

Coincidently somebody hit our car at low speed last week on the driver side fender and the fender was replaced, the headlight was replaced, etc etc. The dealership had to redo some wiring.

The fuel pressure starts out fine, the brand new fuel pump starts up and runs, then it just loses fuel pressure and dies.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by First Class Limos; May 15th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Some vehicles have a sensor that detects collision and shuts off the fuel pump. Perhaps this car has one that got tripped and needs to be reset?
    I know Ford Trucks have them. Wasn't aware of it in Lincoln but just a thought.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Sounds like an air sensor to me. They are located in the tubing in the air cleaner box. What happens is trash usually from a cheap air cleaner clogs the sensor. The car starts but will not idle or stay running. We have had this happen many times.

Thanks for the help. We did play with that emergency fuel shut off switch in the back of the trunk and hit it several times and reset it and nothing worked.

Also it has a K&N air filter in there that didnt look too dirty, however I did take the air filter completely out and try and have it started with no air filter at all and it still wouldnt run.

I will have them check the air sensor on Monday.

Any other suggestions?
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Blog Entries

Sounds like the "Idle Control" solonoid, which is a pretty easy fix.

Also, replace your gas cap, Lincolns do NOT like to run without the proper tank pressure.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Randolph View Post
    Sounds like an air sensor to me. They are located in the tubing in the air cleaner box. What happens is trash usually from a cheap air cleaner clogs the sensor. The car starts but will not idle or stay running. We have had this happen many times.
    This would be my first check. Something to remember, sometimes parts go bad at the most coincidental times. I had a bad power wire to my starter once, replaced it, and it still wouldn't start (I knew the original reason it wouldn't start was the starter wire because it was cracked and when I spliced it together it started again). Ended up being the control module (this was on a 93 Mustang 5.0) went bad. Just happened to go bad the same time I chose to replace the spliced wire. With the fuel pressure cutting out it could be a number of things; but I too have heard the same scenario as Wade, so this would be my first guess.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

I would check relay and fuses.

Any specific relay and fuses?

Fuel relay and all fuses under the hood. Swap the fuel relay with backup relay or one of the same, should be a list on the inside of the fuse panel.

Pretty sure we did the fuel relay, we'll recheck all again on monday. Thanks for the suggestions.

I would add some Starting Fluild to the throttle body and have a helper start the car keep spraying the starter fluid if it starts and run, I would have the help hold the fuel shut off switch and start the car, if it doesn't start its most likley MAF, EGR gasket or IAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo-Service View Post
    I would add some Starting Fluild to the throttle body and have a helper start the car keep spraying the starter fluid if it starts and run, I would have the help hold the fuel shut off switch and start the car, if it doesn't start its most likley MAF, EGR gasket or IAC.
    We tried the starter fluid when it was on the side of the road. The next day we replaced the MAF based on suggestions on a search on this forum from a previous operator's problems, still nothing. I will have them check the EGR and IAC on Monday. If none of these suggestions work I'm thinking of having it towed to the dealership to diagnosis it with their computer.

Have any of you bought a computer dignostic machine, the real kind like the dealers have? Maybe a used one?

Banned

I know this might sound stupid, but make sure the hoses from the air cleaner box to the intake are on and tight. This is what happened to me about a year ago. When the mechanic finished a tune up he didn't tighten these hose enough. If this don't work make sure there is no vacuum leaks.

We were using Fram air filters from Autozone. We had to stop using them because small pieces of them came apart and would get sucked into the tubing of the throttle body and clog the air sensor. Since we switched to Motorcraft we have not had a single problem with this.

Blog Entries

Don't use Fram oil filters either, they do the same thing.