Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SFO Airport "CNG Required" Proposal is gonna hurt us all.

Quote Originally Posted by City Heat View Post
    Hope to see fellow operators at the SFO meeting tonight! I know there are some in this area "lurking" here and not posting. Fine, just show up and offer your opinion and support against this CNG ruling. This will also be an opportunity to meet potential affiliates to work with if we do have to transfer from one limo to another.......... See ya there Jim!

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine
    Good Luck!
    Put Pimpin Kevin White in Jail, Abolishing the HCPTC.
    Moshe Leib

Missed you Jim at the meeting tonight! Actually missed a lot of local operators there! Where were ya'll? There was a good turnout, but of course not as many as SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE ! This is something that will afffect anyone who operates at any airports... GCLA is lobbying and has hired an environmental attorney to help fight this. I think there was good support from those present. GCLA has been successful in their other "fights" so they are counting on support and hoping to win this one as well! Many thanks to those on the Board who work so hard to change laws in CA for the livery industry.

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine

I drive for a door to door shuttle company based near Sacramento, and we service SFO. When the memo regarding the new rule came down a few years ago, we were dead-set against this, due to the limited range of cng vehicles, and the fact that we're based so far away from SFO. And of course, the initial cost of converting the vans. Well, we only have one van converted so far, another is on the way. Bottom line, to our surprise, the operating cost per mile is about half that of a conventional gasoline van. Each van in our fleet goes about 600 miles a day between two drivers. With fuel costs as they are now, the cng vehicle costs $80 to drive 600 miles. Our gasoline-powered vehicles cost about $160 in fuel for the same miles. Multiplied out over a year, assuming fuel prices stayed the same, each cng vehicle in our fleet saves us $29,000 in fuel costs. Subtract the cost of conversion, and it's still a big savings.

I realize the natural gas prices can be volatile, but on the average, it's going to be far less than gasoline. And we don't have the same issues with cng availability that some of you do--there's plenty along the I-80 corridor between SFO and Sacramento. Pain in the neck to stop for fuel when we have passengers? Yes. But when I explain it to them, they're actually impressed.
    Pete

Interesting Pete. Glad you are saving $$, being green and that it's working for you.

However, it's not doable for many operators and it only opens doors for other airports to follow suit, then only a handfull of operators will have the market on the airport service. OR MOST LIKELY the illegals will figure a way to use unmarked or unlikey to be thought of as a limousine vehicles to do the transfers undercover. Like I said earlier, it really won't affect us, because airport service is only a very small portion of our biz. We will farm out to our wonderful affiliates in the bay area to service our clients. We are joining forces with those who are opposed to this. The coach builders aren't producing enough of these vehicles and it costs $15,000 to do a conversion.

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by City Heat View Post

The coach builders aren't producing enough of these vehicles and it costs $15,000 to do a conversion.

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine
    Yeah, it cost us 14,000 initially, but there was a huge state rebate, not sure how much. Not that California can afford it. I don't know how many miles Limo drivers average per day, but I'd guess few enough that it would take them quite a while for fuel savings to pay for the cost of conversions.

Also in the "SFO can do whatever it wants" department, one of the new stipulations that goes with this whole CNG thing is that gasoline vans will not pass inspection if they have more than 400,000 miles on them. Our vans regularly make it to 700,000 and pass all smog tests before crapping out. So this means ALOT more van purchases. And conversions.
    Pete