Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SFO Airport "CNG Required" Proposal is gonna hurt us all.

Default SFO Airport "CNG Required" Proposal is gonna hurt us all.

SFO adopted a policy in 2000 that was designed to help lessen the carbon footprint of our vehicles running in and out of the SFO airport. I don't think too many people really took note because it called for a 2012 implmentation and with 12 years away at the time everyone said...."oh well".

They aren't saying that now. In fact SFO has reminded the industry through the GCLA that come 2012, vehicles not operating on CNG will be subject to fines/sanctions or simply locked out of SFO. There will be new rules on the age of vehicles as well in an effort to clean up the air through elimination of older cars that are not green compliant.

There has never been regulations like this placed on our industry since the industry was created. There are many problems with this implementation. First of all, don't think that if it works in San Francisco that every major airport in America will follow suit and use SFO as the model. Next comes the fact that the coachbuilders are not producing a mass amount of CNG vehicles making it difficult to replace existing fleets but yet failure to replace the fleet with required vehicles basically puts you out of the airport business at SFO. Next comes the fact that CNG fueling stations are not plentiful. Destinations away from the airport are plentiful. I typically drive 2.5 hours from LAX to a passenger's final destination, where ever that might be and where oh where might we get CNG fuel in the Mojave desert?

Here is a bigger problem and how you can get involved. There are approximately 500 limousine services registered and approved by SFO. There are approximately 5,000 licensed limo services in California. Only 20 of those in the SFO area are members of the GCLA. This is an issue that must be addressed and to do so takes lobbyists and attorneys to negotiate on our behalf. That of course takes money. I am not advocating that you join the GCLA, specially if you don't live in California. But if you do, this cause needs your attention through financial means and voices.

To that end, SFO has invited our industry to come to a Town Hall meeting and discuss our concerns. This is a chance to be heard. But, imagine if the SFO officials hold a meeting and 20 people show up? You get my drift here? We need people to show up in order to be heard. I cannot tell you how important your presence is if you live in the San Francisco Bay area or northern California. I don't care if you have a fleet of 1 or 100 cars, unless you want to replace that fleet, you need to come and be heard or eliminate airport operations by 2012.

05/18 - SFO Meeting in San Francisco at Holiday Inn - SFO

6:00pm to 8:00pm

275 So. Airport Blvd

So. San Francisco

650-873-3566

Last edited by Limo Scene; May 9th, 2010 at 06:44 AM.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

What type of vehicles does this apply to? Are taxicabs, sedans, stretches vans/small buses all included?

If so, the question will be, if no one comes into compliance then what? Shut down ground transportation at SFO?
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

i was looking into buying some CNG vehicles and i didnt do it because its just too hard to fill them up since theres only a few places, i would be paying chauffeurs an extra half hour to 45 minutes each night just to fill up.

Cool What about the people?

Is there any tax incentive to convert to CNG? What do the people of the the SF area want? Are you really going to lobby against the people of California?
    Put Pimpin Kevin White in Jail, Abolishing the HCPTC.
    Moshe Leib

Gunny, it does apply to all the vehicle you listed. I think one of the reasons for the Town Hall meeting is even SFO reazlies as the plan was written in 2000, it is not a sustainable idea at this time - specially factoring in the economy. So, the goal is to draft a new plan that will work. My point is, if we don't show up and discuss the options, it will be just more government crammed down our throat so best to show up and having a meaningful voice in the future.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Gunny, it does apply to all the vehicle you listed. I think one of the reasons for the Town Hall meeting is even SFO reazlies as the plan was written in 2000, it is not a sustainable idea at this time - specially factoring in the economy. So, the goal is to draft a new plan that will work. My point is, if we don't show up and discuss the options, it will be just more government crammed down our throat so best to show up and having a meaningful voice in the future.
    Well, you know how I feel about guvmint shoving anything down our throats. In a perfect world the primary operators (including taxi barons) would simply show up at the meeting & inform the powers to be that that the Industry says fark this plan & the AP will either accept what is running or shut down ground transportation.

Jimmy H.
    Where are you when we need you?

Blog Entries

Like some say, the world is controled by thoes who show up.

You did have 12 years.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Well, you know how I feel about guvmint shoving anything down our throats. In a perfect world the primary operators (including taxi barons) would simply show up at the meeting & inform the powers to be that that the Industry says fark this plan & the AP will either accept what is running or shut down ground transportation.

Jimmy H.
    Where are you when we need you?
    Gunny,
    This looks like what the PEOPLE of San Francisco Bay want, how do you get the government involved? I would say it's a free country, you want to go to SFO, get green, you don't want, stay home, you don't like it, fight it!
    Last edited by TBLIMO; May 9th, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Moshe Leib

Quote Originally Posted by TBLIMO View Post
    Gunny,
    This looks like what the PEOPLE of San Francisco Bay want, how do you get the government involved? I would say it's a free country, you want to go to SFO, get green, you don't want, stay home, you don't like it, fight it!
    Where do you get this is what the people want? If so it would cover the city & not just for-hire-vehicles at the airport.

Again, if it is something the "Private Business, No Government Subsidized" Industry opposes they should simply tell the AP "fark you" we are not doing it & pull ground transport from the AP.

Where do you get this is what the people want? If so it would cover the city & not just for-hire-vehicles at the airport.

Again, if it is something the "Private Business, No Government Subsidized" Industry opposes they should simply tell the AP "fark you" we are not doing it & pull ground transport from the AP.
    ... and I will go to SF, open a green company and tell your "industry" "fark you", stay out as long as you want, I am making the money!
    btw, the airport tells the vendors even what kind of bottles to sell " Terminal 2's green focus: Vendors are only allowed to sell water in compostable bottles.", nobody said "fark you"...
    Moshe Leib

krystal has a 72'' stretch cng and i think imperial has a cng towncar. It was hard enough for us to find e85 out here i can't imagine cng stations.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

... and I will go to SF, open a green company and tell your "industry" "fark you", stay out as long as you want, I am making the money!
    btw, the airport tells the vendors even what kind of bottles to sell " Terminal 2's green focus: Vendors are only allowed to sell water in compostable bottles.", nobody said "fark you"...
    Who in the fark cares what plastic the vendors are required to sell to get a concession contract? Go hug a farking tree as you drive around the corner to buy that Red Bull in a Aluminum Can & a pack of cigarettes wrapped in one of your precious trees that you snuff out on pavement before you enter your AC'd abode .

Who in the fark cares what plastic the vendors are required to sell to get a concession contract? Go hug a farking tree as you drive around the corner to buy that Red Bull in a Aluminum Can & a pack of cigarettes wrapped in one of your precious trees that you snuff out on pavement before you enter your AC'd abode .
    You sound like a perfect candidate for the president of the WFLA, support the industry...

Now you asked about how do I know what the people of San Fruncisco want? simple, I read what their Mayor says! Now go back to clean the pool.
    Moshe Leib

You sound like a perfect candidate for the president of the WFLA, support the industry...

Now you asked about how do I know what the people of San Fruncisco want? simple, I read what their Mayor says! Now go back to clean the pool.

And Kevin White says all want to ride to TIA in stretch limos so what's your beef with him? Oh, that's right, the Nanny State is only spot on if it fits your narrow minded perception of what guvmint should be able to regulate. How about the Nanny's stick to safety & allow the market to dictate what vehicles private motor carriers employ?