Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reading Texts While Driving!

If your insurance company was reading this thread I wonder what they would think about texting and driving.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Scott View Post
    ...good lord.

take the cry baby crap elsewhere.

Karl, I'd fire you for being cry baby and arguing with my protocol.

The way I look at it; my farm out partners better be happy with whatever they get; if they do not like the way I transact business...fine...get out.

Same goes for my staff.

In all honesty Karl, you botched that friendship and affiliation for being a hard ass. I know Tim does not "need" you, good company's seeking farm out work are a dime a dozen in your saturated market.
    Alright Jared, I'm not crying about anything. I simply went on here to ask a question in regards to "Reading texts while driving" (no names). Tim came on here telling everyone that he was the guy and then tried explaining himself on the situation. It goes both ways! Yes, I was happy about receiving work from him, but the fact is that I sent him more work then he sent me. When someone says to me that "I would be worried if I were in your shoes", it only pisses me off because he acts as though I should bend over to his demands. If you only knew how Tim walks around here like his sh!t don't stink, and with an arrogance as though he is all knowing! That is what irritates me, I simply told him that would not follow his so called last second protocol of "reading texts while a passenger was in the car". Simply stated; It is his client, he has the responsibility to communicate with them, he can't expect me to do his job for him on the simple notion that "I should have known" attitude. I don't know how he runs his business, there was no "protocol" on the matter in question. If he had some sort of protocol about confirming with his passengers their return flight, then yes I absolutely would have made sure to do that (if I had known the information prior, or if he had called me)! If he had presented a protocol that was to "read texts from him or anyone while driving". I would have refused then. What you and some others here are not understanding here is that I have no problem with him "dropping" or as you said "Firing" me! I could have very well have said sorry Tim I didn't realize that you had wanted me to do that, I will do better next time..... Then I would be violating my "protocol" and ethics on the treatment of a customer. I made the decision to stand my ground on the matter, and when he said "Well I just can't use someone....". I responded with, "Fine, that is your decision, but I will not change my mind". He stated it as though I was supposed to succumb to this ridiculous demand. All in all I have no problem with losing him as an affiliate, even though he acts as though I couldn't survive without him (ARROGANCE!).
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Regal Limousine & Transportation
    Kansas City, Missouri

"If you've ever traveled this good,
    Welcome Back!"

Kansas City Limo - Kansas City Airport Transportation

Okay, time for me to air my own dirty laundry here. Within the past six months, I was driving to the office one morning when I received a text. I waited until the next red light to begin reading the text. I was still reading - not responding to it when the light turned green. As the cars began to move, that momentary distraction caused me to miss the fact that the guy in the manual transmission just ahead of me popped his clutch and stalled and I plowed right into the back of him.

I don't read texts anymore unless I am parked. Many of our large oil company clients have a safety policy that is very simple - "Engines On - Cell Phones OFF". I am not going to jeopardize the accounts by violating policy.

The situation here is unique in my opinion because the affiliate is also the chauffeur and I don't have any interactions with chauffeurs from other companies so there would be no way I could text them. If Dean was doing a job for me in New Orleans, it would be calling his office to relay any messages and it would be up to him to get the message to his chauffeur and whatever policy he had in place, I would respect. If his policy was the chauffeur checked in after the drop off was complete that is when the message would be given to the chauffeur. I certainly would not ask Dean or his chauffeur to confirm any future business with one of MY clients but would be speaking directly to MY client to make sure no small detail was lost by my affiliate. My client - my arrangements, my control.

If you don't like the business practices of an affiliate, you can always change affiliates.

I also agree with everyone else here, you guys need to go break some bread, have a beer and hash this out. You can agree to disagree if that is what it takes but airing all the dirty laundry here isn't helping either of you and may very well hurt you by discussing too much of your inner-operations on a public forum.

I'm just saying............................
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

I've got $10 I'm putting up for a gift card to a nice place in the KC. Who else is putting up? This can be a Limo Forum first-mending the relationship of two operators.

Wow, I just read and caught up just now. I kept passing this thread because it looked like too obvious of an answer. Texting while driving? No, of course not. Man, was I wrong.

All in all, nobody did anything "that bad". I like the idea about meeting for a beer and laughing about it. But maybe it's too late for that and you should just part ways amicably. But either way, get over it. You're probably both good guys and you just had a little disagreement. There's no need to make it worse. It all comes down to miss communication.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    I've got $10 I'm putting up for a gift card to a nice place in the KC. Who else is putting up? This can be a Limo Forum first-mending the relationship of two operators.
    I'll see your $10.00.
    Karl Jones

I'll call $10, but I want photo evidence of a handshake(or a meltdown).
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Levine View Post
    I'll call $10, but I want photo evidence of a handshake(or a meltdown).
    Totally, and they each have to have one of their chauffeurs pick up the other one!

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    Totally, and they each have to have one of their chauffeurs pick up the other one!
    ....that's funny. they need to hire some first.

All you would have sent was either ok or k. It would have took all of 5 seconds.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

I had to smile when I had the pleasure of calling A.T & T. Mobility yesterday and was placed on hold - only to hear the following: "A.T. & T. would like to remind you that texting while driving is very dangerous. Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye and don't let texting be the cause of an injury to you or one of your passengers. No text message is worthy of endangering your life or the lives of others".

Ba ha ha ha ha........the timing of the call was fantastic. And I would certainly be in for $10 so you guys can eat steak while while you hash this out. I turly don't believe you guys have gone to the level of our Kentucky boys and you should be able to have some mouth-watering Kansas City BBQ and patch this thing up if niether of you lobs anymore bombs.

I will say that Tim is a sharp guy. His business is growing and his zest for perfection is high. That rubs people the wrong way sometimes as I know from experience but it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. You just have to communicate between each other in advance what communication protocols will be during the ride if that is an issue. There are some cases where an immediate communication is needed - such as - PAX LEFT PASSPORT IN CAR - RETURN TO AIRPORT. But, this is a phone call not a text so I know the chauffeur has the message and is returning back to the AP immediately.

So, if you guys set the lunch or dinner meeting, I will send my money or call in a credit card to Tim to process and use the funds towards the meal. Fix it guys!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

His zest for perfection is high - jim luff
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com