Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading Texts While Driving!

Default Reading Texts While Driving!

I lost an affiliate because I wouldn't read a Text While driving..... Is this my fault! I refused to accommodate his request on reading texts while driving, and now they don't want to use me.

Back Story: I picked someone up as a Farm-In and while driving I received a text, at which point I muted the phone simply by reaching down to my holster and pushing a button (while still vibrating before it beeped). About 5 min. before dropping off I received another text and did the same thing. After the run was completed I read the texts which stated that I was to confirm with the passenger for a flight taken place 3 days later. I then told the "affiliate" that I will not read texts while driving, and he then said to me. "Well, I can't send work to someone that won't read texts while driving" Anyways, give me your thoughts and let me know if I am wrong! Thanks!
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Regal Limousine & Transportation
    Kansas City, Missouri

"If you've ever traveled this good,
    Welcome Back!"

Kansas City Limo - Kansas City Airport Transportation

Considering the recent attention that texting while driving has been getting over the last few years, I doubt if any responsible operator would try to make a case for putting yourself at risk (or doing something that may be against the law in some locations). You made a call that you feel bound by and are comfortable with. If others don’t want to honor it, well… there you go.

This is one of those scenarios that don’t really amount to much one way or the other in my opinion. You haven’t lost as much as you think you have.
    Karl Jones

Well, I will admit that I was that affiliate and there are some crucial details that have been left out of that little "story" that Karl is talking about. First, it was before 5 AM in the morning. Who else would be texting? Second, when after arriving at the airport, he could have glanced at the phone while the car was parked at the curb to see what the texts were about. Third, Karl openly admitted to me that he will read texts while driving, just not with a client in the car. Also, Karl said that he would have answered the phone if I would have called, he just wouldn't read the text message. Knowing that my client typically sleeps in the car while on the way to the airport, after all it is a 430 am pick-up, I didn't want the ringer to disturb my client from his nap whereas a simple "ding" from a text message likely wouldn't cause any disturbance. Maybe the same alert tone is used for text messages and email and he may not have been able to tell a difference and that is why he never looked at while he was stopped waiting for a light to change, but there are settings in almost every phone today, especially smartphones, that allow for differentiation between emails and texts.

Ultimately, the reason I choose to no longer work with Karl is not for not reading the texts but the attitude that he gave me afterward. While I was trying tell him why it was important to me to check these messages (and there are things like stop lights and stop signs along the route allowing for opportunities to briefly glance at who the text was from), I never asked him to send a response while driving. Oh, and during the phone call I was having with him, he hung up on me because he claimed I was "yelling" at him. By no means was I yelling. I was upset about the situation, yes, and I was definitely expressing it in my voice, but I was by no means yelling. In fact, the only time that I am really quiet when talking is when I am deep in thought. In school, I used to get into trouble because my whispering was too loud. Well, guess what people. I am a big ol' boy with a big ol' set of lungs and there is a lot of air that comes out when I talk.

Now, Karl went on some tirade via text message back to me. There are several things within those texts that he lied to me about. He is going to claim different, but I know the time line and know when things took place. I helped him get in with a couple different companies here. I touted that he would be a good guy to go to and honestly, one company only started using him only after I was unable to complete a trip for them and they didn't have any other options, so I recommended they call Karl. I did make a mention to Karl that if I were in his shoes, that I would be worried. I would be worried that I am losing a trusted affiliate, someone I could rely one when I needed help. Worried about losing someone I could turn to when I had a question about an address, local regulation, etc. Worried about losing someone that helped me gain other local affiliates to supplement my client list while I build my own client base. He took it as a threat which by no means is it. I just won't help him build his reputation anymore by adding my testimonial. He also stated in a text that I was stressing and freaking out. I wasn't stressed or freaking out at all. I think he was just saying those things as a defense for me terminating the relationship.

Also, this isn't the first time I have had issues with Karl. About 6 weeks ago he started telling me that I was being really cocky and my ego had blown up because of my success. He was saying this into response to me telling him that I know how planes "fly" because through my studies in college to become a meteorologist I took a class or two on aviation meteorology. There are several people from my class that now forecast for air travel/airlines because of their knowledge in aviation meteorology and they help both the airlines and the gov't determine flight routing. He was saying that the planes were coming in eastbound when that made absolutely no sense given the prevailing winds. Turns out that I was right and that they were coming in on runways 27 (westbound) and 01L (northbound). He also claimed that the line of cars waiting to get terminal passes was 14 cars long. I doubted that and he took a picture showing only about 5 cars waiting in line. Those things caused him to think I was being cocky. I guess my education and knowledge of the airport and my experience from doing airport transfers for close to 4 years now at MCI have absolutely nothing to do with my success and questioning some things being told to me.

This culmination of events is what caused me to terminate the relationship. He never apologized to me the first time and I highly doubt he will this time. I never asked him to sacrifice safety. I would never ask anyone to do that.

Now, I just wanted him to confirm the return for this client. It is hard for me to get in touch with him throughout the week because of his job. I can't really send him an email because of the amounts of email that he gets. And I can't really call him because of the number of meetings he is in throughout the week. The only time I can really get in touch with this client is on Sunday afternoon when he calls me to set up the trips. I always confirm with him the return when he is dropped off Monday morning. I just forgot the inform Karl of this at the time I sent him the trip. That is why I sent the text message...to confirm the return. Now, I will just have to trust that what I have is right. If it isn't, I will be out some of my time and some fuel, but there are other things that I could be out.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

IMO it's not the affiliates job to confirm anything with my clients regardless of the situation, This gives to much control to the affiliate, problem waiting to happen. Althought considering the situation at some point in the trip I assume that the text could have been glanced at. After all of this was their really any damage done? Is this long term argument and hard feelings justified? Just my opinion.

Women do their nails while driving, I've seen people read books while driving, I even have seen limo drivers drink champagne directly out of the bottle while driving.

This "texting" thing is a way for the government to control your life and your body and everything about you from your weight, what you eat for dinner, to your behavior and every aspect of it. Laws have been on the books against distracted driving for years, can anyone please explain to me the need to add "texting" as a special subcategory to this?

And can someone please explain how, when the logic behind banning handheld cellphones in certain areas were "distracted by conversation" - now being on a wireless headset talking to someone is not a distracting conversation, I will give them a free mercedes keychain.

The new "safety" law requiring no tint in the front windows in Illinois coincided with police doing visual inspections of cars to see if people had their seat belts on. Yea, it all of a sudden became unsafe to operate a vehicle at the same time they wanted to spy on you. Now that's coincidence.

My point is this: let's just call a spade a spade, this is all about government regulation and money, not safety. Worried about breaking the law and texting? When was the last time you went 55mph on the highway?

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    IMO it's not the affiliates job to confirm anything with my clients regardless of the situation, This gives to much control to the affiliate, problem waiting to happen. Althought considering the situation at some point in the trip I assume that the text could have been glanced at. After all of this was their really any damage done? Is this long term argument and hard feelings justified? Just my opinion.
    I agree with this 100%.

You did the right thing....not reading text while driving...BUT you could have read them while at a red light or something...
    Rick M.
    Corpus Christi Party Bus
    361-765-4997
    www.ccpartybus.com
    www.corpuschristipartybus.com

Texting while driving is illegal here. It's never safe. The company with whom the reservations were made should be 100% responsible for confirming all details with the client. I don't want my affiliates to know anymore than the basics they need to, to do the job properly for me.

What if I planned on using another affiliate for the return portion as a trial run or because the client was not happy ? I dont need some other company knowing when my clients are traveling, unless I need them to.

On another note, there are several accounts that require chauffeur to have all electronic devices shut off while driving - do not set GPS, answer phone, etc unless the vehicle is in park. Harpo Studios(Oprah) being one of them. You can lose entire accounts for one mistake like that.

Ou trips sheets list the "next trip" for this passenger on them, if the info needed to be confirmed, it should have been relayed to the affiliate prior to 4:30am on the day of the trip.

If there is an emergency such as the passengers office or family calls and says someone passeed away, or his trip has been cancelled, then by all means, call the chauffeur and pass that info on. We also have computer consoles in every car that allows us to send messages to chauffeurs and allows them to respond with canned answers such as " MESSAGE RECEIVED 10-4" "YES" "NO". Etc.

No perfect answer in this instant info era, but I do feel that if you knew the return info prior to 4:30am for your client, then that info should have been passed on to your affiliate with notes to confirm details with pax.

Okay, when I called him for the trip, I was out on the road waiting for a flight to arrive. I forgot to tell him to confirm the return and honestly, at that time I wasn't definite on what the return flight was. When I finally got home, it was really late and I didn't want to wake him up by calling him to tell him to confirm. I would have email Karl about it, but I have also been told that his email notification on his phone wakes him up. Now, since this was a LOCAL trip, I am not worried about him trying to greet the client on the return as I will be doing it myself.

Now, this was a pick-up from a house. Typical provided information is pick-up address, time, number of pax, departure airline, client name, and client phone number, right? I don't see how asking to confirm a return is something that would provide any more information that what is already typically passed on to give any more insight into who the client is. Obviously, by picking up at a house the affiliate is going to know it is likely a customer that lives locally. And again, this was a LOCAL trip. Are you telling me that your LOCAL affiliates don't know that your company is likely to do the return trip or that you don't have any other local affiliates that you work with? Also, I think it is considered arrogant for a company that does a trip for an affiliate to expect to get the return trip automatically. In my mind, I think of just getting the one trip, even on a round-trip booking, is a good thing while getting the complete round trip is a great thing. An affiliate that would show up for the second leg of the trip without being given the trip but just asking to confirm the return would be immediately shown the door. Remember, you are the one in control when selecting affiliates.

Oh, and I do confirm all things with my clients at least twice, typically three times with a return. Once when the client class to confirm all the details are correct, then by email, and when the first leg of a round-trip is completed, I triple confirm the second leg of the round-trip reservation. Because of this double and triple confirming, I have yet to have a trip that has been missed. Other companies that only confirm once call me in a frantic craze asking if I am close to XXX address. Maybe it is just my obsessive compulsive nature.
    Last edited by BLVD Limo; April 28th, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Blog Entries

I have been doing this a long time, and I have never had an affliate text me or i have text them. What is wrong with you guys. Texting. Pickup the phone and call them.

Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    I have been doing this a long time, and I have never had an affliate text me or i have text them. What is wrong with you guys. Texting. Pickup the phone and call them.
    THANK YOU!! That is the point, if it was that important! He should have called!
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome Back!"

I don't text but if I did I wouldn't read them with a client in the car. We have some clients that won't tip if you travel one mile over the speed limit and don't think about answering your phone. Karl I have to agree with you.

Jess, obviously you did not read where I stated that I didn't want to wake the client up. Karl, I never asked you to read the texts while driving. I have had some problems with you in the past and this was just the last straw. I guess I am completely wrong that I am trying to accommodate my clients. I guess I am a bad person and the fact that I have record months month after month mean nothing. I guess I have to go reevaluate the business plan where I am making money through the use of text messages because clients can't communicate via phone while at a concert or sporting event (too loud) and figure out something less successful.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

The conversation has strayed too far away from the root of the original post which the condensed version is: "is it acceptable to expect a chauffeur to answer texts, emails, phones, faxes, US Post mail, UPS, etc. while a client is in the vehicle?". If I were the client, I would expect the chauffeur to chauffeur the vehicle, not focus on something. When there's a client in the vehicle I feel as if you are no longer the owner but rather just the chauffeur.

As for the direction this is heading and as amusing as it is to read, unfortunately its time for you two to delete all of your posts. Forget the two of you sending each other business if you don't want to; I think its already been decided. You both are hurting yourselves with this display of professionalism.

Go meet for lunch and hash your problems out like good mid-Western businessmen and gentlemen--heck I bet all of the members of the forum could throw in a few dollars to buy you all lunch at a nice restaurant there in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    The conversation has strayed too far away from the root of the original post which the condensed version is: "is it acceptable to expect a chauffeur to answer texts, emails, phones, faxes, US Post mail, UPS, etc. while a client is in the vehicle?". If I were the client, I would expect the chauffeur to chauffeur the vehicle, not focus on something. When there's a client in the vehicle I feel as if you are no longer the owner but rather just the chauffeur.

As for the direction this is heading and as amusing as it is to read, unfortunately its time for you two to delete all of your posts. Forget the two of you sending each other business if you don't want to; I think its already been decided. You both are hurting yourselves with this display of professionalism.

Go meet for lunch and hash your problems out like good mid-Western businessmen and gentlemen--heck I bet all of the members of the forum could throw in a few dollars to buy you all lunch at a nice restaurant there in KC.
    Thanks! Yeah, I will admit I did get a little carried away (especially in the end). I just got furious when he involved names, I just wanted to get a census and I took it to far.
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome Back!"