Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prom/parents night out

Default Prom/parents night out

In our 6 years running this business this question came up and it is a first for us..."Can we be driven to the figawii ball after you drop the kids off at the prom, just come back and get us (3 different pick-up locations) then drop us off at the ball then go back and get the kids at the prom then come back and get us and bring us home" The "nice" lady said "after all we will be paying for the time and you will just be sitting there" My question would be, is there a law or unknown to me good reason I can give her as to why I must stay at the prom parked? Sue

Any good reason to tell them that they should pay X amount of dollars for a limo to be sitting in a parking lot instead of having use of it? Non that I can think of.

It's their charter, their itinerary. Your choice to accept or decline the job.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

is there a law or unknown to me good reason I can give her as to why I must stay at the prom parked?
    Can I interpret that: Is there an excuse I can give so I can be Lazy

If you do not want the job turn her down. Otherwise when did we stop doing what the customer wanted (within the law) in this industry?
    Are you giving some super low "prom" Price that is a justification for your lack of effort? Or are you as I suspect charging full retail or even more for this high demand time? What is your reasoning for trying to get out of it? Because everyone else gets to sit and relax and you have to actually do work?

We have hashed out this topic before here:
    http://www.limousinesonline.com/show...-booking/page4
    And in this case at least you were told upfront what the routing was going to be the operator in this message was not.

But some valid points that may be brought up but may or may not be an issue with you localy.
    1. Doing all these transfers you may end up being back late to get the kids. If the venue kicks out everyone at a certain time they will be out in the cold. But if they do not mind thier kids waiting in the cold parking lot for 30 minutes you should not either.

2. If there is an emergency evacuation at the prom and everyone has to leave the kids will be left stranded until you can get back.

Mentioning these two above or even having stipulations in your contract around not guaranteeing you will be in place at any certain time because of doing the inbetween transfers would be a good business move in case things go south with all the running around but they are no reason for you to refuse to do what the customer wants. In my opinion.

(And Sue nothing personal meant to you on the lazy comments just done to illustrate a trend I see in this industry.)
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Your choice to accept the job with those conditions or not.
    Dean Schuler

Thank you gunny,

My thoughts were along those lines, my thinking was also due to the fact we are dealing with teenagers and if we can't get back on time due to parents possibly being late. Would we be held liable for not being there. We usually stay incase someone has to leave for some unforeseen reason. Thanks again for your thoughts. Sue

We have been asked this several times as well and we are all for it....after all the parents are paying for it!
    Rick M.
    Corpus Christi Party Bus
    361-765-4997
    www.ccpartybus.com
    www.corpuschristipartybus.com

Thank you Steve,

I understand the point of view you are trying to address about being lazy, I have seen lazy drivers at the proms and weddings. I am by far from being lazy (I run the office, clean the cars, drive, etc. and I have a family of 4 sons, 2 grand-daughters. I am always on the go.). I hear quite often don't you ever take a break? We always go out of our way to assure our customers are happy. Some times after Prom we will drive families around the block or some little thing like that so they can experence our car. We also clean the car while waiting for students.

Waiting arround is being patient. We have had the following issues arise while we were waiting: 1) the kids got kicked out of the prom 2) one of the kids got sick and had to go home and 3) the facility was having an electrically problem and had the kids wait outside until the problem was corrected. It was cold that night and the kids sat in the limo for almost an hour before they were allowed to go back inside. We are suppose to be there for the kids for the "just in case" issues. My concern is the what if's along with the legal technicalities when dealing with teenagers who could be stranded. So I agree with your closing statement. Sue

Trying to think of a good way to word that. Anyone have something similar in thier contracts?

Not responsoble for delays caused by unrealistic itineary
    or
    We will do out best to follow the itineary given by booking party but make no guarantees as to arrival, departure, and stageing times.
    or
    Party acknowledges they have asked the chauffeur and vehicle to leave the location of drop off of minors in order to engage in other activities. They understand the risks involved in this request and assume all liability for full contract payment in cases when unforseen circumstances cause delays, cancellation, overtime, extra fees, or any passengers to experience wait time.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Blog Entries

This is the first year for this here too, already have 3 Prom runs that the parents have decided to use the vehicle in the down time. Good idea, if you ask me.

We do this all the time. In fact sometimes we encourage it as it helps sell the product. Often times it will result in the drivers getting an extra tip from the parents.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

i would just do it. they are paying by the hour they should be able to do whatever they want with it within that time, plus they are more likely to go over on the time and you earn more money. besides, the more people that ride on your vehicle and the better the chance is you will have repeat customers in the future. your vehicles also get more exposure on the road than they do sitting in a parking lot. sounds like a no brainer to me.

I agree with Brandon!
    Rick M.
    Corpus Christi Party Bus
    361-765-4997
    www.ccpartybus.com
    www.corpuschristipartybus.com

I would do it. If you are charging by the hour. If someone is paying my hourly rate, I will go where they want. I would have them fill out a written itinerary ahead of time and submit it. That way they are responsible for the schedule, not you. If they are late or kids are early, not your problem. Especially because (I hope) the parents are actually the clients and have signed the contract for service.
    Jon Hook

Stars Luxury Limousine Services - North Bay, Ontario
    www.Book-A-Van.com
    www.NorthBayBlackCarService.ca
    www.WeddingLimousineNorthBay.ca

2000 White 120" stretch AHA
    2003 Black Lincoln Town Car
    2008 Black Lincoln Town Car
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter

What about the alcohol that parents may bring or consume in your vehicle? And what if the principal and police are inspecting the limos and smell or see alcohol in the vehicle when you arrive to pick up the prom attendees? We have heard of parents who don't see a problem with their underage children consuming alcohol, especially for proms--"you know it's a really special occassion" and have actually hid alcohol for the kids.

I remember the threads in the past about this and I don't think everyone agreed 100%.

I like Steve W's disclaimer......if one chooses to do this. I think each operator needs to make their own decision about how they are going to handle these requests, and then stick to it with full disclosure about issues mentioned, as well as the alcohol.

Just my humble opinion.

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine

The first limo ride I went on was when I was 12. During my sisters prom, my mom had the limo take us(my friends) to the ice cream parlor. It was huge. All my friends had a blast. I could tell the chauffeur was a little annoyed, but we kept the limo clean and bought him some ice cream and he was cool after that.

Definitely take care of your customers the best that you can, and that means following reasonable requests like using the limo during down time(when payed for by the hour).
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net