Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young pup with a 64 Continental

Default Young pup with a 64 Continental

Hey everyone,
    I have to say this is a great site! i've been doing alot of homework regarding this industry and couldnt find too much information on the interweb. I learned alot from this site already, thank you.

I live in San Diego, CA. From what i've researched, i have noticed alot of competition within the city.
    I have no means to open a luxury sedan service business right away. im still doing my homework.

I always wanted to start off with a luxury sedan service and then upgrade with limousines and busses.

I was wondering if this was a good idea:
    To open/start a Luxury Sedan Service with a 64 Lincoln Continental?!
    and then possibly have a 60's stretch?

i currently own a 64 continental. the body is straight and the car runs good. but its away from being a reliable luxury sedan.

now i know for the vehicle:
    -the body would have to be reinforced b/c its a unibody vehicle
    - the engine would need to be removed, another would be fitted in its place. perferably one with an electric throttle body injection.
    - interior would need to be replaced with something sleek and comfortable

there is a few more to list but i would like to know if you guys think this is feasible.

~is it a good idea to start a business with a 64 lincoln continental?!~

thanks,
    Leo

Not a bad business plan to go with classics...but you have to make EXTRA SURE your stuff is inspected by a reputable mechanic before you start hauling customers around in those. I actually was/am still considering this route as well, but from what I can tell most of your work would be during Prom time. Other than that I really don't see any type of customer that would want to be ridden around in a 30-40 year old car. Unless you get some customers who want to be seen like rappers or Hollywood types. Radio stations would be a good place to drive your cars so they can offer to pickup their stars in classic vehicles. I had a 67 Continental myself before and had a lead on a Lehman Pederson as well last year.

damn.. such a limited market isnt good... its a shame many people wouldnt appreciate being in such a beautiful classic... i will rethink my strategy. thank you for your input.

That Lehman Pederson is a magnificent machine indeed, i would love to have one of those.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leo64Lincoln View Post
    damn.. such a limited market isnt good... its a shame many people wouldnt appreciate being in such a beautiful classic... i will rethink my strategy. thank you for your input.

That Lehman Pederson is a magnificent machine indeed, i would love to have one of those.
    Do not crush your idea so fast. If you couple it with superb, ultimate service you could create quite a buzz (especially in CA, I would imagine). I would make sure the car is in primo condition. I would work for a livery company as a chauffeur for a couple of years to really figure out the business. Work for a top notch company, one that has training before putting you into a car. Every year you spend in training and working for someone else will push you that much farther - and you get paid for this experience instead of losing money out of your pocket because you started a business without truly understanding it. I think this is a neat idea and could work with the right formula, just take your time, learn, research, and be patient and smart.

Good luck.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

you would think the kind of people who would want to get a vehicle like that would want it to be absolutely flawless. i think it could work great though since there's little competition in that market. i actually had a friend in the music industry locally asking me the other day if he knew of a place he could find classic cars to rent for music videos. i checked limos.com for him and they had nothing.

I wouldn't make it my only car. You do state its not reliable, may I ask why.

That’s great advice! Yes, I will definitely join up with a company to gain experience. thank you for the replys.

Reliable- yes, I’m glad you asked. In short the car is old! In the cars’ current state I would be an irresponsible s.o.b. to have it be driven daily without any upgrades to the drive-train, suspension, brake, and electrical systems. In my opinion, with the car in its current shape would be dangerous to have clientele being chauffeured around in. Now driving myself, well I would only be hurting myself and my pocket if something unforeseen were to happen.

To have this car in great shape isn’t as hard or too expensive as I had imagined it to be. It’s just time consuming.

Here’s a list of what needs to be done

The chassis- these magnificent cars have a uni-body frame which bends, twists, and turns. This can cause metal fatigue and small wrinkles on the chassis. These cars are old so they will need a good face lift to take the day to day abuse.

Its easy to fix. Just remove the frame from the body and reinforce it.

The engine- An old 4barrel 428 3 speed cruis’o-matic transmission. These engines are a pain to work on but are a lot easier than electronic fuel injection engines from my experience. What makes these cars a pain to work on is some many things need to be replaced in order to be used daily. Engine parts are expensive and a pain in the ass to find or replace. There are very few vendors available which means parts are expensive and most parts usually come off junked continentals and rebuilt. Some of these cars have certain years where they can have interchangeable parts. That’s another negative aspect.

Another easy fix. Remove the old 428 engine (its worth money so I would keep it and rebuild it). Then install a 460 engine (these engine parts are cheap and plentiful). I would then change the bell housing on the transmission. Conduct an moderate rebuild the transmission. A way to fight the monstrous gas consumption would be to install an electronic throttle body injection system where the carburetor would be.

Suspension/Brakes- This car has leaf springs in the rear and coil springs in the front. I would have to replace them or have custom ones made to fit day to day use. As for the brakes I would do a front disc conversion from the drum brakes it already has. I am still researching this part.

Misc- I would remove the vacuum houses that control the locks, windows, windshield wipers, etc. When one of them breaks they make the engine run like crap. Interior would need to be redone. Wiring and lights would be a simple replacement.

There is a lot to this, I know. This may not be feasible or practical but I would like to know what you fellas think.

Thanks,

Leo

You have your hands full, but it will all work out.

Default Lincoln Continental Pictures

Lincoln Continental.jpgLincoln Front.jpgLincoln Side.jpghere she is fellas. She needs some work but she's magnificent! maybe some of you san diego fellas saw her around down town.

There was/is a company in Northern Virginia that has/had at least two Lincolns with suicide doors on the road.

im curious to how that company did with these cars. Mainly the engine and suspension.
    it would be nice to see a fleet of these beauties traveling through the down town area and up to LA.

Default Great name for vintage car business

Quote Originally Posted by Leo64Lincoln View Post
    im curious to how that company did with these cars. Mainly the engine and suspension.
    it would be nice to see a fleet of these beauties traveling through the down town area and up to LA.
    I had the same idea a few years back. Was going to have chauffeurs in Zoot Suits and all. Plan to market to older couples as well. Look to get people celebrating anniversaries, maybe make a deal with an old school italian restaurant..

If interested, I own the domain www.godfatherslimo.com

pm me and we can talk.

This is a link to my buddy's brother's Lincoln. About 10 years ago we were driven to his wedding in it. It rode pretty nice. I think it gets something 4 or 6 mpg.

Truly a magnificent car! What a sight it must be in person. This would be the flag ship if I had a fleet of my own. Very nice, thank you for sharing.

Not to be picky, I would rather prefer 62-68 continentals. The front ends look cleaner. Any years higher have that goofy nose look to it. BUT I would indeed love to have any year continental pre-smog.
    I would love to have a chance to drive a Lehmann- Peterson Limousine.

but i must admit cadillac sedan devilles do look just as good between the years of 65 and 70.