Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Cadillac Hearse has a shudder. Need some help.

Blog Entries

The guy said he had it off the ground (Wheels off the pavement) and there was no vibration
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

Well, she had an appointment for tommorrow at a driveline specialty shop in Ft.Worth so, we'll see what they find. I'll let you know. Thanks!

Did you get the new U-joints on already?
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

If you have a friend that runs an inspection shop, they have to test run the older cars up to 25 miles an hour for emmissions. Ask if he will put the car on the rollers and run the speed up and down while you lay on some cardboard and watch the bottom of the car. Do this at a safe distance from the side, not underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by TxLimoGuy View Post
    Did you get the new U-joints on already?
    Yes, I replaced the center U-joint which I found had been installed incorrectly. Actually, it was the wrong part. After I installed it, the low speed shudder went away but it developed a vibration starting at 45 MPH. I jacked the car up at the rear wheels and watched the driveshaft in drive and saw that it was slightly bent. I either bent it when I was removing the old U-joint or installing it. The shop said they couldf straighten it and I told them to go ahead and do a balance on both shafts. Hopefully, this will cure everything. Sometimes, it doest pay to try to save money by doing it yoursefl : ( I have probably installed 100 u-joints and never had a problem but something defiently went wrong this time. C

The question I must ask, is, have you had any complaints from your passenger/s!!!

Dick Hall

Haha. No complaints yet : ) I did get my car back today after the driveshaft rebuild and , while the low speed shudder is still there, it is about 50% better. There is still a slight vibration at 50 MPH but, it is not too bad. I guess it is just the nature of the beast with these things. I drove a 2008 Caddy hearse today with 32K miles on it that vibrated and rattled like crazy. Made mine feel pretty good to drive : )

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hearseman View Post
    Haha. No complaints yet : ) There is still a slight vibration at 50 MPH but, it is not too bad.
    I didn't know they went over 50! Are they really in a hurry?
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hall View Post
    The question I must ask, is, have you had any complaints from your passenger/s!!!

Dick Hall
    It took a day or two, but now I get the joke....
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Blog Entries

I had a 1967 Superior Hearse that ran 17.05 seconds at 89 mph in the quarter mile. I still have the time slip from 1989 to prove it. Not bad for a 6400 pound boat.

And yes, it had "flame-thrower" exhaust too. HA !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Digger; March 15th, 2010 at 04:21 AM.

Nice coach Digger ! On the West coast, the hot rodded hearses are becoming popular for use on funerals. When it catches on here, I'll be building one!

Blog Entries

I sold that car about 13 years ago... but I will have another one someday.

More pics of that one are on my Myspace page. http://www.MySpace.com/PreLimo

Quote Originally Posted by Hearseman View Post
    Haha. No complaints yet : ) I did get my car back today after the driveshaft rebuild and , while the low speed shudder is still there, it is about 50% better. There is still a slight vibration at 50 MPH but, it is not too bad. I guess it is just the nature of the beast with these things. I drove a 2008 Caddy hearse today with 32K miles on it that vibrated and rattled like crazy. Made mine feel pretty good to drive : )
    So all is good. I would check the motor and tranny mounts again.

Yeah, the front motor mounts look pretty bad. They are collapsed and the rubber has deteriated but, they look like a nightmare to replace. I am trying to figure out if it is something I can do in my driveway. Funny thing. I went to the Cadillac dealer yestereday for a price quote for the mounts. $169.00 each! I went to O'reilly's auto parts and they have them for $7.99 each. What an insane markup! They have the tranny mount for $7.99 also. I'll eventually replace all 3.

I thought I would post the final update to this thread. I ended up taking my car back to the shop that did the driveshaft work and they found that the center U-joint was defective . After they replaced it and re-balanced the shaft at no charge, I am happy to report that the car is totally vibration free! Several limos and hearses that I have driven in the past have had a thumping on acceleration or a vribration between 40-60 MPH. If this is the case with yours, more than likely, it is the center Universal joint or Center Carrier bearing mount. Replace both of them and it should cure the problem. Just because you cant physically move the U-joint up and down doesnt mean that it is OK. All 3 of my U-joints felt tight but when they were removed, you could see deep grooves worn where the needle bearings in the caps ride. Best $160.00 I ever spent : )