Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Cadillac Hearse has a shudder. Need some help.

Exclamation My Cadillac Hearse has a shudder. Need some help.

I am hoping that someone here can give me some help with an issue that I have with my 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood hearse. Since it is built on a Cadillac commercial chassis like most limos of the period, maybe it is a common issue that you guys have seen before. I have a shudder on take-off or under load from about 10 MPH to around 20-25 MPH. It feels like it is something in the driveline. I have replaced the driveshaft center support and have inspected the U-joints which seem fine. As best as I can tell, the transmission and engine mounts are intact as well. The shudder is more pronounced when going up a slight incline from a stop. I cannot duplicate it when I powerbrake the engine in drive so, I feel like it is in the driveline. I have also had the tyransmission serviced recently which did not help either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am out of ideas. Thanks, Cliff

Blog Entries

I had a similar problem with a 91 Cadillac Fleetwood we used to own more than a decade ago. When going around that speed the exhaust pipe was loose and touching the driveline at that speeds. Might not be your problem, but worth taking a look.

I have checked the exhaust. In fact, I did have a vibration at idle that could be felt and heard in the floor that turned out to be the exhaust rubbing on the carrier bearing bracket. Since then, I have repositioned the entire exhaust system and made sure there is plenty of clearance between it and everything.

The most likely cause is a driveline angle issue, but first you need to verify the rear differential controls arms and bushings are in good condition. beyond that you will need a driveline inclinometer to measure the driveline angles. GM sells (or at least they used to) different length rear upper control arms to adjust the angles. You may want to consider taking the vehicle to a driveline shop. Good Luck.

Steve

Could be U joints---

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine

Steve, I think you may be correct. Awhile back, I had a creaking noise coming from the rear while turning and found that one of the upper contril arms on the rear diff was slightly loose. Once I tightened it, the noise went away but, I did notice that the bushings on both upper control struts were worn. Maybe the rear diff is twisting up or down under load causing a severe driveline angle to occur. Im going to do a furthur inspection of all of the control arms and struts in the rear tommorrow. Kathy, I thought it might be a U-joint too but, after I removed both drive shafts, I could not feel any play or roughness in any of the joints so, I feel like they are OK. There is a very good driveline shop in Fort Worth and it would probably be a good idea for me to take it there. I love doing my own repairs but this issue is kicking my butt. Thanks for the great replies and pleas keep them coming! Cliff

Blog Entries

U-joints can appear to be fine but may not be, for around 100 bucks I would just remove the entire shaft and have new U-joints installed (have them balance it too). If nothing else, it's a good insurance policy and will eliminate that as a potential problem.

The car is sold now, but in the past I had a limo which I took in for ujoint replacement and it picked up a terrible shudder afterwards in the low mph range as you described. After going back and forthe with the transmission shop for weeks on attempts to fix it I took the car to a different facility that specialized in driveshafts. They said the Ujoints installed by the transmission shop were very poor quality. They replaced them with a higher grade Ujoint and the problem went away.

Based on that, plus other comments in this thread I would suspect ujoints going bad could be part of your issue. A defective ujoint or one that is worn will definitely cause that exact problem.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Great! I'll replace the U-joints first and go from there. I do know the front U-joint is original but the one at the rear that connects to the differential has been replaced. I'll go with the highest quality ones I can find. Thanks for the tips!

You could jack up the rear and place on jack stands and test. Your driveshaft could be out of balance or your rear tires. U- joints could be bad but you normally will hear or feel a clunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo-Service View Post
    You could jack up the rear and place on jack stands and test. Your driveshaft could be out of balance or your rear tires. U- joints could be bad but you normally will hear or feel a clunk.
    I tried that but, it does not simulate a load so, there was no vibration.

Blog Entries

A carrier bear, also known as the center support bearing can cause these problems too.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    A carrier bear, also known as the center support bearing can cause these problems too.
    Right. That is the first thing that I replaced but, it did not help. I ordered new U-joints today and will install them tommorow and report back.

Blog Entries

How about the rear tires...Have you checked them for Balance? One tire out of balance can give a vjbration. First and cheapest thing to check. Cadillac's need a good balanced tire to give them that quality ride...even if it is your Last. Good Luck.
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

Quote Originally Posted by MrQ45Limo View Post
    How about the rear tires...Have you checked them for Balance? One tire out of balance can give a vjbration. First and cheapest thing to check. Cadillac's need a good balanced tire to give them that quality ride...even if it is your Last. Good Luck.
    Cliff's concern is load related, a tire or prop shaft imbalance would be speed related.

Steve