Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-Bus door...electronic vs manuel ???

Default Mini-Bus door...electronic vs manuel ???

Ok came across an afiliate who just bought a brand new 2010 25 pax mini-bus....Ford E-450 VERY NICE BUS... Brings me to the topic.... They insisted when they were buying that the bus have a manual open door vs an electronic opening door. Personally I think the manual open door looks CHEAP and reminds me of a school bus.... The whole placement of the handle for the driver and the rods running out to the door....it just looks cheap..... I personally like the look of a bus with one solid "bowdie" type door that is electronic or air actuated vs the manual.
    They claim one reason is manitance cost over time: In my years I have only had a few issues with the motor or brushes on a electronic door motor...maintance is the key there...keep the door motor area clean and oiled..so im not sold on that idea..... They also say that they get an insurance break for this type of foor vs push-button electronic...something about its easier for pax to escape in emergency...this theory im not sure of.... i havent asked my ins agent that one yet?? but either way they both have the same emergency turn knob so???

SO WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT DO YOU CURRENTLY OPERATE IN YOUR FLEET ??
    MINI-BUS STYLE ONLY

1: ELECTRONIC MOTOR DOOR OR MANUAL OPEN DOOR ??

2: SINGLE DOOR STYLE OR 2 SPLIT DOORS??

1: Elentronic & air operated fall in the same catagory

It's all about safety.

Having used both (in a previous life as a schoolbus operator), the manual door opens much more quickly in an emergency situation. If this door is the only means of ingress/egress, it becomes a very serious consideration.

Under the proper circumstances, a chrome handle, latch and pushrod may even be made to be decoratively attractive.
    The Land Yacht Company of New Hampshire, LLC
    -Phil Smith; Chief Factotum, Raconteur, and Gadabout

one of my buses i had a door stop working on two different occasions, one of them was on a paid run and luckily it was towards the end of the night... but it still cost me money. on the other hand the manual ones look kinda cheap but i cant seem them breaking. the insurance factor sounds pretty crazy but mabye limo insurance king can shed some light on it.

I was about to post something about this as well. 2 of my buses have electric motors and one as the old school opener. 1 of my buses the motor is going out it opens REALLY slow and I have oiled and all but nothing seems to work so we have to order a new motor. Brandon what does something like that cost?

ccpartybus.com

Blog Entries

I loved the electric door... until I got a bus with a manual door. At this point I don't want a bus with electric doors. Yes, manual looks cheap BUT, you can't open the electric door without power and in park. The manual door is easy to open/shut in the shop without power. Also, no worries about the motors going bad since its all mechanical.

So, cheap looks don't steer me away, I wanna keep the manual doors.

Quote Originally Posted by lyconh View Post
    It's all about safety.
    Hear, hear!
    Karl Jones

You guys keep mentioning "Safety" the electric ones are safe...mine have an emergency latch that you pull and the doors open with or without power. So there both safe in my eyes.

Blog Entries

True. As far as safety is concerned I see no difference, both are equally safe. The emergency release is mandatory on all electric doors so they all have that. Manual doors don't need it so the little Red handle isn't on manual door assemblies.

I feel that the electric doors limit your usage, manual doors are much nicer for us to deal with in the shop and on the road.
    Last edited by Digger; January 21st, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

The wow factor of electric is all in your mind.
    Electric WILL fail at some point.

Dealer recommends manual based on selling hundreds of buses. I trust their opinion.

I have had both. Did have at least one or two issues with the electric, usually due to low battery. Bus wasn't old enough for the motor to fail yet, but we got rid of it eventually.

I see no reason to buy anything other than manual. It is a no brainer.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Very true TXLimoGuy.....BUT when price is involved I would gladly take an electric door if the price was way cheaper than a manual that is the reason 2 of our buses are electric....I do like the manual one better but o'well. Also Digger you can rewire your door so that you dont have to put it in park to open the door. We can open ours at anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by ccpartybus View Post
    I was about to post something about this as well. 2 of my buses have electric motors and one as the old school opener. 1 of my buses the motor is going out it opens REALLY slow and I have oiled and all but nothing seems to work so we have to order a new motor. Brandon what does something like that cost?

ccpartybus.com
    i could only imagine how much one costs. take a picture of it and post it, if its the same one that my bus has i have one i can sell you.

Lightbulb I quite agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    True. [snip]
    I feel that the electric doors limit your usage, manual doors are much nicer for us to deal with in the shop and on the road.
    And in a crisis, the system is much easier to work!
    With an electric door, you have to:

• flip the switch to open the door
    • have a nap while the painfully SLOOOOOOOOOW motor folds the door out
    • get frustrated and anxious
    • leave the seat to search for the little red handle
    • hope the system works if you haven't tested it for awhile (not a problem if CMV because you would discover this at pre-trip)
    • work the little red handle
    • push the door open.

Otherwise, you just:

• tuck your thumb up under the latch to release it
    • flick your wrist to work the handle
    • FLOOMPH! The door's open!

If I have to get out in a hurry, I know which one I want - especially since I don't know when I will have to get out (or, more importantly, get others out) in a hurry.
    The Land Yacht Company of New Hampshire, LLC
    -Phil Smith; Chief Factotum, Raconteur, and Gadabout

For the safety of things I would want the door to open in park so nobody falls out of a moving bus. We have two electric and one hand job. Motors can cost upwards from 100.00 parts. School bus type can break but junk yard parts are cheep to fix with. Give me the hand job every time
    Last edited by Pyro; January 23rd, 2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Check out Unity school bus parts on line. They have all the parts you need for any mini coach.