Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling my Excursion limo.

Default Selling my Excursion limo.

Anyone want a lifted Excursion limo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Excur...item1c0f8ce39d

I don't really want to sell it, but my buddy is telling me I have to get a bus before prom season. Part of me is hoping I don't sell it and just do a quick conversion on a cheap bus and have both for prom season. But common sense tells me to sell, buy a project bus, and pay a coach builder to make it new in the back. We'll see what my destiny is on this one.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

You are a master with words...great description (no sarcasm...serious).
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

that thing looks brand new, cant believe its an 01. did you buy it off your employer and start a business? whats the reason you don't keep renting it and add a bus?

You need more interior pics in the listing.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by First Class Limos View Post
    You need more interior pics in the listing.
    I just decided to list it on ebay spur of the moment and only had a few pic's on my laptop. Once again, I really don't want to sell it, but my friend is pushing me to try and make a smart business decision.

Rich, thanks, and I'm glad you added the no sarcasm because I put it together real quick on my laptop.

Brandon, it really does look great. Because of all the suspension work and wheels and tires, it makes normal Excursions look small and boring. Money is real tight right now and I don't think I could pull off keeping the Excursion and getting a bus before prom starts. But I can see keeping it for prom and taking the profit and putting it into a bus. We'll see what happens.

www.limokings.net

What about modding the excursion for a fresh look. I was never a fan of the rebuild buses. I don't think they will fly around here.
    Check out stylinconcepts.com for some ideas. I used them when I used to mod trucks.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Geoff....who is this friend? Is he in the business? I assume so. In my professional opinion, the advice stinks. You seem to be making this whole decision based on meeting prom season. Prom is nothing but a flash in the pants in April and May. Then, it is over! The what? While buses do rent for weddings - not like Excursions. Yes, Gunny, I said RENT because out here in Cali, that is what we say and I am speaking to a fellow Californian. While people do charter buses for nights out, they charter Excursions more. So what are you plans for this bus? What market do you plan to go after?

How far into the loan are you on the Excursion. More than half way? If the Excursion holds it's own right now in terms of meeting payroll, payments, insurance etc. there is no reason to believe it would not continue to hold it's own and the bus should hold it's own as well. Worst case scenario, you could take some of the profit and divert it to the bus payment while you build a client base for the bus and begin to develop a fleet.

I don't think selling it is a good move Geoff.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

If you are serious about a bus, pick a date and start taking reservations now for a date in the future and see how it goes. Have someone you can farm the jobs to if it's not worth the time and money. When I first started, I promoted cars I didnt have 1 year in advance for wedding and proms. I then used the deposit money to buy the vehicle and schedule delivery 1 month prior to its first reservation. This process also made the banks buy the deal much easier, as I had money down and dozens of jobs already on the books for the new car.

Just they way I did it, may not be the best or brightest idea for other people. I just knew what I could do and pushed forward.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, my friend is in the business and doing pretty well. I share a lot with 2 companies(7 buses, 2 Hummers, 2 10 packs, 3 sedans, 2 suv's, a van, and my Excursion limo). So I'm already booking bus jobs and farming them out. My clientele is mostly the party crowd and would jump right into a bus no problem.

But my Excursion really does run like new, so I hate to sell it for such a low price(at least in my mind). But I was thinking it might be a smart business decision(until Jim gave me his 2 cents).

My other idea is to throw a sweet paint job on it and totally redo the interior to match. We've talked about pink vehicles before and there is only one out here right now. I've got some barter dollars saved up, so if I can find an upholstery member and a body shop member, that might be a good option.

Unfortunately, I've had my $12,000 barter dollars just wasting away because of no quality members to deal with. They told me there is a new body shop member in Temecula(1 hour drive away) that will do 50% barter). But I think I've got enough friends in the business to get a local hook up just as good with cash. Barter isn't always what it seems.

www.limokings.net

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Why waste the money changing colors (you'll have to paint door jambs, under hood/trunk, etc.). Just repaint the same color if it needs it that bad. Sometimes you do need to update your fleet, but my feeling is that limo will bring in as much as anything else that size. But hey, that's why you are a business owner...you get to do whatever you want!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Blog Entries

On the flip-side, a converted bus, similar to mine, has a larger profit margin than the big SUV and may rent more often. My party buses go out 3 times more than my limousines and bring more money. Both buses together almost equal what I have invested in my one 120" limo.

In my area there are more hoops to jump through with a bus and the clients are crazier, but it's worth it if you can stand that kind of crowd. The party bus world is SOO much different than the limo world.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Levine View Post
    I just decided to list it on ebay spur of the moment and only had a few pic's on my laptop. Once again, I really don't want to sell it, but my friend is pushing me to try and make a smart business decision.
    Geoff, I'm not going to consider that your friend doesn't have your best interests in mind. I'm sure he does. But I think if you have doubts, you should hold off. Good on you for checking other options, too.

Smart decision, bad decision... in the end it's your decision.
    Last edited by Karl; January 20th, 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Sp.
    Karl Jones

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    On the flip-side, a converted bus, similar to mine, has a larger profit margin than the big SUV and may rent more often. My party buses go out 3 times more than my limousines and bring more money. Both buses together almost equal what I have invested in my one 120" limo.

In my area there are more hoops to jump through with a bus and the clients are crazier, but it's worth it if you can stand that kind of crowd. The party bus world is SOO much different than the limo world.
    Digger, normally, do you charge the same for your bus than you would for a stretch Hummer or, because of your margins, do you find yourself charging less because the profits are higher.

Blog Entries

Nope, I charge the same rates that I would on the Hummer. I look at it this way, yes, the operating cost and investment are less on the bus, but the liability risks in a bus are higher. There is more of a possibility up-to 18 people getting injured in a bus than any kind of limousine. No matter what your rules/contract say, they are going to stand while driving, one hard brake-slam because of an idiot driver could put you into a court battle with your clients. Drunks falling down the steps exiting the bus is another thing we must be careful of. My people are always at the bottom of the steps while clients exit, this way they can try to catch when one falls.
    Last edited by Digger; January 19th, 2010 at 05:58 PM.