Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Join the NLA - Yes or No

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenOnWheels View Post
    Maybe a thread pleading the boycott of companies such as myself and many others that are members of the NLA should be moved to the members only forum as you like to do Gunny.
    Would it surprise you that I have never moved a thread to members only? Maybe you should research before spewing just as maybe you should have researched how the actions of your bretheren NLA members can bite you in the ass. Oh... is it just that you pay dues for the book & sticker washing your hands clean of what other members do?

But in all fairness I will delete that post ... though, as a consumer activist, I may reinstate it as a signature as I once had .
    Last edited by gunny; January 15th, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Would it surprise you that I have never moved a thread to members only? Maybe you should research before spewing just as maybe you should have researched how the actions of your bretheren NLA members can bite you in the ass. Oh... is it just that you pay dues for the book & sticker washing your hands clean of what other members do?

But in all fairness I will delete that post ... though, as a consumer activist, I may reinstate it as a signature as I once had .
    Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    My bust is that I didn't immediately simply move this thread to "members only" & simply let it die a quick death. Will not happen again.
    I apologize for not doing my homework, I guess I just assumed with a post like the one above and since it immediately went to the members only section that you were indeed the one who moved it.

Guys, guys, guys,cool down.
    I didn't want to start a war but more just something like a poll.
    I am certainly aware of the fact that there a a lot of lovers and a lot of haters out there. I was just curious if there are more pro or contra folks out there.

Blog Entries

I for one have joined the NLA and have been a member for over 2 years. This month will be my second year going to the LCT show and, until the NLA does something that affects me personally, will remain a member. I believe having these associations serve a void in any industry where all voices can be heard. I know certain have had bad blood with the NLA and I guess that is before my time of becoming a member. I hope things have changed or are changing for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenOnWheels View Post
    I apologize for not doing my homework, I guess I just assumed with a post like the one above and since it immediately went to the members only section that you were indeed the one who moved it.
    I should of moved it, but I didn't. I waited for LDC to make the call.

Quote Originally Posted by L8 Back View Post
    Guys, guys, guys,cool down.
    I didn't want to start a war but more just something like a poll.
    I am certainly aware of the fact that there a a lot of lovers and a lot of haters out there. I was just curious if there are more pro or contra folks out there.
    No war. Debate is what keeps threads & forums jumping. Want to read battles? Do some research on the archives in this forum.

Talking NLA? I can ASSIST - for free!

I just looked at the campaign donations for pimp commissioner HCPTC chairman Kevin White, just guess who in the transportation business donated money? ONLY NLA or TLPA members. As we have an election year for Mr. Pimp district, I have a new website www.commissionerkevinwhite.com that will publish every company or person who donated to commissioner pimpi campaign, every newspaper and TV report about the most corrupt commissioner in the country will be published, I promise! (the website will go online soon). Any questions about the NLA? I can ASSIST you with answers…
    Put Pimpin Kevin White in Jail, Abolishing the HCPTC.
    Moshe Leib

Smile Associations

We are in business to make money so my take on this topic is that you should do whatever legally & safely enhances your bottom line. NBTA and MPI are good for me, not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TBLIMO View Post
    I just looked at the campaign donations for pimp commissioner HCPTC chairman Kevin White, just guess who in the transportation business donated money? ONLY NLA or TLPA members. As we have an election year for Mr. Pimp district, I have a new website www.commissionerkevinwhite.com that will publish every company or person who donated to commissioner pimpi campaign, every newspaper and TV report about the most corrupt commissioner in the country will be published, I promise! (the website will go online soon). Any questions about the NLA? I can ASSIST you with answers…
    Dean Schuler

Default Nla - no help with ohio sales tax

I had contacted the NLA years ago, when Ohio was trying to implement a sales tax on "luxury car service". I was told that it was not a national issue and therefore no concern of theirs.

As many of you know, we now have a sales tax that is different in every county - all 88 of them, and we are supposed to track all of our services, where they go and file reports monthly based on any and all counties we travel through. Fun stuff.

Back then I posted info about this warning that if this goes through in Ohio, other states will follow. There is no politician that does not love a new tax on the "wealthy".

Well, gee....now we have sales tax issues popping up all over the country. Sounds like it's become a national issue.

Nothing better than reactive associations. How about getting pro-active ? If the sales tax would have been squashed in Ohio, I'd be willing to bet that all these other states would not be having these fights now, and if they did, they would have a proven methos of defeating them.

As far as aiports go, dont get me started on DTW and the huge battle we continue to fight with them. Lawsuits, gestapo style rules and enforcements....of course only those of us that run legal businesses are effected. The crooks still park in public garages, pull up curbside using unmarked, imporoperly licensed cars, drivers in dockers and polo shirts.

I am an NLA member and will remain one.

I consider my membership an advertising cost, not an association fee.

Talking NLA - no help with Ohio sales tax

Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post
    I had contacted the NOLA years ago, when Ohio was trying to implement a sales tax on "luxury car service". I was told that it was not a national issue and therefore no concern of theirs.
    It's OK, on the NLA list it will be under ASSIST...
    Last edited by TBLIMO; January 16th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
    Put Pimpin Kevin White in Jail, Abolishing the HCPTC.
    Moshe Leib

L8 Back......TOLD YOU this is usually a fire starter. As far as wars.....this is tame. You will find that Gunny and I usually have opposing views on many things....this is why we were named moderators to keep balance. By having these debates...it gives forum users a much broader, deeper view at the issues. Just try to keep in mind that I am usually right and Gunny is usually wrong...... Just kidding Gunny. Put a nitro under your tongue and you'll be okay.

Getting real here, is it not safe to assume that for every year we are alive we improve? We gain more knowledge, we learn to do things better, quicker, easier etc. The same holds true for our business. I hope! The same holds true for the NLA. Every year it gets better. The management gets better, more programs are developed etc. Truthfully Gunny, I did forget that you were an NLA member. Don't forget I live in California and I have slept since your case came to light. My point is, the NLA was under the direction of Fran Shane who was a great guy but totally inept at his job and subsequently fired. I would venture to say that in the past five years, the professionalism of the organization has grown in leaps and bounds. Even though you are not a member, I am going to ask Phil to read the expose series I have written and will even turn over all my notes to him to ask WHY the NLA should not be fighting this thing on behalf of the industry as a whole. Rogue organizations like HCPTC should be abolished and I think when Phil sees that elected officials are questioning the very exisitence of the PTC, why should the NLA not? I will be seeing Phil in Vegas and I promise to hand over my notes, my drafts and printed articles. Can I give him my notes from you? You deserve this help.

Michael, you too are right. That sales tax thing is popping up everywhere now the NLA probably missed an opportunity. Let me guess, that was under Fran Shane also? You may have mentioned above and I forgot.

I can tell you that Patricia Nelson, as the Executive Director of the NLA has improved the association by leaps and bounds. She has some awesome team members with Sara and darcie who are committed to the cause. There are a handful of people paid on a contract basis to perform specific missions for the NLA. The board members are all volunteers. They volunteer to serve. They pay their own travel expense to meetings, they pay for all phone calls, postage etc. to respresent fellow members while running their own limo companies.

As for state associations run by big companies......the best way to fix that is to step up to the plate and offer to serve on the executive board of your state association. Again, there is no pay and a lot of travel that you have to pay for out of your pocket. Hence, the big companies fill the slots because it comes down to the money!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Smile Nla

When we were fighting against Gestapo regulations in 1986-87, the NLA was on the side of the Gestapo. They violated their own ethics clause. I agree with Michael, classify this item as an advertising cost .

Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post
    I had contacted the NLA years ago, when Ohio was trying to implement a sales tax on "luxury car service". I was told that it was not a national issue and therefore no concern of theirs.

As many of you know, we now have a sales tax that is different in every county - all 88 of them, and we are supposed to track all of our services, where they go and file reports monthly based on any and all counties we travel through. Fun stuff.

Back then I posted info about this warning that if this goes through in Ohio, other states will follow. There is no politician that does not love a new tax on the "wealthy".

Well, gee....now we have sales tax issues popping up all over the country. Sounds like it's become a national issue.

Nothing better than reactive associations. How about getting pro-active ? If the sales tax would have been squashed in Ohio, I'd be willing to bet that all these other states would not be having these fights now, and if they did, they would have a proven methos of defeating them.

As far as aiports go, dont get me started on DTW and the huge battle we continue to fight with them. Lawsuits, gestapo style rules and enforcements....of course only those of us that run legal businesses are effected. The crooks still park in public garages, pull up curbside using unmarked, imporoperly licensed cars, drivers in dockers and polo shirts.

I am an NLA member and will remain one.

I consider my membership an advertising cost, not an association fee.
    Dean Schuler

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Getting real here, is it not safe to assume that for every year we are alive we improve? We gain more knowledge, we learn to do things better, quicker, easier etc. The same holds true for our business. I hope! The same holds true for the NLA. Every year it gets better.

Can I give him my notes from you? You deserve this help.

Michael, you too are right. That sales tax thing is popping up everywhere now the NLA probably missed an opportunity. Let me guess, that was under Fran Shane also? You may have mentioned above and I forgot.

As for state associations run by big companies......the best way to fix that is to step up to the plate and offer to serve on the executive board of your state association. Again, there is no pay and a lot of travel that you have to pay for out of your pocket. Hence, the big companies fill the slots because it comes down to the money!
    I might have taken a bite of the shovel of BS offered if not for the NLA annointing Sorci as President.

Was Shane around when the NLA fell on its sword with NY imposing a sales tax?

Nothing prevents smaller operations from heading up local associations which involves no travel expenses but does require a willingness to get off the ass & be involved. FL, NY, TX, LA,PA are examples of states holding local/regional associations. Larger operations normally get involved as an opportunity to fatten their own wallets through political pandering & at the expense of the dummy's (fark them, they deserve what they are willing to fight for) & the consumer.

I'm often torn between continuing the fight (lawsuits) and giving up. Don't know who I despise more. The Regulators or the shitheads who will benefit from my sweat. The only thing that tips the balance to continuing on is knowing that the NLA member local association enjoys the economic benefits of the PTC. In fact I told Padilla (PTC Director) to put wax in his ears & ignore Shaw & Co. as the rules being the crux of lawsuits were the result of the influence of the West Florida Livery Assoc.

BTW, virtually every original operator attacking the PTC were NLA members. All of us declined to renew.
    Last edited by gunny; January 16th, 2010 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post

(insert cricket sound here...)
    Karl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by L8 Back View Post
    I asked this question already in an other thread but there isn't much response...

So here I go again.

After being a member of the NLA for one year now I'm wondering what benefits I have in spending $205 other then being in a membership book. Maybe our market here in Tampa Bay is a little different than than others. But I don't belive too much into that "NLA-Networking". If I need to farm out I know my operators. When I have a request for an airport we don't serve, I just check the internet. I guess most of you do it the same way.

So, what else should it be good for? To display the logo most people don't care about or even don't know what it is good for? To get NLA % by a Ford Dealer? Every guy from the street could pull a better deal.

Did I maybe miss something what real gives me an advantage for being a member?

Hey, how about %% rebate for airport and cruise permits?

What is your experience?
    No way. Just me.