Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Join the NLA - Yes or No

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Thank you Gunny for your most eloquent response. And here I had put my armor on already. Such a pain in the ass to take all this gear off. Who knew you woke up drinking de-caf today?
    De-caf??? What the fark is decaf???

Keep reporting the truth & you'll need that armor. Not from me but from the same scumbags I oppose.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    The Tampa fight is just the tip of the iceberg regarding my distain for the NLA. And lets not forget, a sitting NLA Board member was from the Tampa area. And that this Board Member supported what Luff is now reporting on and is not on any public record opposing such bullshit regulation .

I perceive the NLA as a clique of scumbags using membership dollars to support THEIR OWN agenda which has little impact on the industry as a whole. Compared with other motor carrier associations who have forced locals violating federal laws all the way up to the US Supreme Court , the NLA lacks balls to make such a move.

When I read a NLA heavyweight making false claims to the Court in a lawsuit against some small dude trying to scratch a living, another farking his employees out of fair wages etc., this is not the type of association I will support.

When the NLA annoints as president, an individual from a state with one of the most restrictive and corrupt regulatory chokeholds on small operators nationally, I want no part of this association.

And why did the NLA pull supprt for thru-ticketing??? Again, above the heads of many of the lightbulb changers. Thru-ticketing, which would of given blanket "interstate status" to non-taxi cab motor carriers. Why? FEAR of losing local market entry controls. Who does this benefit? What areas require a COPCN to go into business? The same types who cry the loudest about airport fees maybe???

Write a check to the NLA? Might as well write one to Al-Qaeda also.

And lets not forget where the political contributions go:

National Limousine Assn Contributions to Federal Candidates

House
    Total to Democrats: $6,500
    Total to Republicans: $250

Andrews, Robert E (D-NJ) $1,500
    Bartlett, Roscoe G (R-MD) $250
    Brown, Corrine (D-FL) $1,500
    Hall, John (D-NY) $500
    Pascrell, Bill Jr (D-NJ) $3,000

Senate
    Total to Democrats: $3,300
    Total to Republicans: $0

Clinton, Hillary (D-NY) $2,300
    Lautenberg, Frank R (D-NJ) $1,000

I can continue on but why. When my time comes to be planted, it will be amongst men of honor who served a much higher purpose in life than being a member of the farking NLA. That's real prestige.

You are 100% correct Gunny, the sad truth is the medium to small operator pays for the large operator to fight his battles. And very often the battle being fought is against the small to medium operator.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

B.S.!

I know a three car operator who had a limo impounded for 30 days by the airport police and the NLA got his car out in 3 days. He was a mere guppy and they helped him so let's not generalize.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

B.S.!

I know a three car operator who had a limo impounded for 30 days by the airport police and the NLA got his car out in 3 days. He was a mere guppy and they helped him so let's not generalize.

This situation sounds like the exception and not the rule. Gunny's battle in FL has been going on for over a year since I joined this forum, where they on that battle? I doubt that Gunny is a NLA member but I am certain it affects sm/med size operators in FL. They have been trying to get gas guzzler fixed for years to no avail. The RIDE act has been ignored by most major airports for years. I am sure there is a ton of stuff they do that I don't know about and you would proably know better, please post some of their accomplishments that were taken on to benefit the small to medium sized operator.

Angry No to NLA!

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Wire View Post
    This situation sounds like the exception and not the rule. Gunny's battle in FL has been going on for over a year since I joined this forum, where they on that battle? I doubt that Gunny is a NLA member but I am certain it affects sm/med size operators in FL. They have been trying to get gas guzzler fixed for years to no avail. The RIDE act has been ignored by most major airports for years. I am sure there is a ton of stuff they do that I don't know about and you would proably know better, please post some of their accomplishments that were taken on to benefit the small to medium sized operator.
    I was NLA member, I also went to the hill, but The NLA did not help me in my fight with the Prius against the HCPTC. I am not a member anymore, it's not worth even $1 of my money.
    Put Pimpin Kevin White in Jail, Abolishing the HCPTC.
    Moshe Leib

Limo Wire, I have taken your request seriously and have asked the NLA to provide me with a copy of a management report prepared monthly documenting the work they have done. Once I receive a copy of the report, I will report to you what I find.

I know at the present time the NLA is helping a small operator in Montana as there is no distinction between limousines and cabs and the PUC there is attempting to force the operator to follow rules made for taxis. I also recall in the recent past that the state of North Carolina attempted to force a sales tax on the usage of limousines and the NLA took swift action to halt this and was successful.

I have already stated, I firmly believe that the NLA should be involved in the HCPTC battle in Florida but the fact is, you are right - Gunny is not a member. So, I am assuming no members called on the NLA to fight this battle. In the case of North Carolina - IF that sales tax requirement had been implemented, you can bet the other states would follow through as states like California, Hawaii and Michigan are hovering close to bankruptcy. This was an important issue.

I want to be extremely sensitive about addressing Moshe's issue. In most of the 50 states, an operator can register any kind of vehicle as being operated in their fleet. Thus it is not a national issue whether an agency will accept the Prius as a luxury vehicle or not. To add to that, there are very, very few operators who are running Prius vehicles or who will ever even consider running the Prius in their operation. There is no other agency in the nation saying a Prius cannot be used for passenger transportation by a limousine company. It is highly unlikely that that same war being waged by Moshe would be waged anywhere else, thus, in my opinion, it is not a NATIONAL issue and never will be and I would not want my dues used to fight that battle. I do believe the Florida State association should absolutely have jumped to Moshe's defense as he is a Florida operator trying to offer a green solution and an economical mode of transportations in a market that desires both - clearly making it a state issue. The only reason I can figure they didn't help him is the fact that, again, it is not a big issue because no one else is trying to bring the Prius to the market. However, I am still left scratching my head at why they wouldn't try to help one of their members with an issue that was important to HIM as a member.

In closing this, I don't want anyone to think for a moment that I do not support Moshe and his efforts to legalize the Prius as a passenger transportation vehicle operated by a limousine/transportation company in a non-luxury or economy mode. The traveling public should have flexibility to decide. After all, as they travel, they can pay for a first class ticket or an economy ticket. Why should that same luxury not be afforded for ground transportation of passengers?
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

I received an immediate response to my request for information from Phillip Jagiela, Legistlative Liason for the NLA. It is Phillip's job to intervene on behalf of members and governement agencies and it begins with a simple form called the Initial Evaluation where members state their issue, what they are hoping for in terms of a resolution, what has been done so far and if the state organization is involved and if so, what have they done.

I don't have the time to document the details of each case so I am going to give you a summary of help offered from the 13 pages sent to me:

Currently assisting Tennessee based operators in forming a state association

Assisted a South Carolina operator with FMSCA/DOT audit problems and corrections

Assisted a West Orange, NJ operator with Unified Carrier Registration and issues between NY and NJ and taxation issues.

Assisted a Bellmore, NY operator with a labor issue involving overtime claims

Assisted Cleveland operators in establishing their own local association

Assisted operators in Calgary fight a cap on mileage on their vehicles.

Assisted San Antonio based operators in starting a local association.

Assisted a Telluride, CO limo company with local airport issues.

Assisted Denver Lincoln Limousine with problems involving multiple government agencies as a result of an airport incident.

Assisted a CT operator in determining proper taxation when two states were trying to implement a tax upon him for the same jobs that crossed state lines.

Assisted a California operator having problems registering a vehicle purchased in Illinois.

Assisted Milwaukee operators from aggressive regulations attempted to be imposed by a local regulatory authority.

Assisted a Little Rock company with issues regarding sedans vs. limos crossing state lines.

Assisted a Key West operator fighting the limited amount of permits allowed by each operator.

Assisted in problems with Pittsburg, PA airport rules and regulations deemed unfair

Assited a Gatlinburg, TN operator with local airport regulations

Again, these are just a handful from the last report and I don't have time to detail the issues involving each one but clearly the NLA is involved in assisting many, many companies around the nation as well as abroad. I can honestly tell you, until the question was raised, I had no idea how many people called upon the NLA for help. Each case is documented with the number of phone calls, e-mails and hours spent on the problem.

Glad you asked!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

Blog Entries

Moshe, A prius is not a luxury car. And if the majority of us agree that it is not, you will not get much help. But you should be able to run anything. A local operator here has a civic hybrid on his website.

We had a problem, in 2004 trying to register a Brand new 2004 Unstretched Ford Excursion. Took me three months of fighting to get it licensed as a Van. And then the local association went ahead and changed the language with the help of NLA. I was not a member of the local limo association but am now. I believe your fight is more of a local association fight.

Unhappy Law. Luxury, corruption!

[QUOTE=LIMOJESS;82000]Moshe, A prius is not a luxury car. And if the majority of us agree that it is not, you will not get much help. But you should be able to run anything. A local operator here has a civic hybrid on his website.
    QUOTE]

Can you define "luxury" for a sedan? more important, the law says "“Limousine” means any motor vehicle for hire not equipped with a taximeter, with a capacity for 15 passengers or less, including the driver." - this is the what the fight is about. The local association is totally corrupted with one target "do not let anybody into our market"
    Put Pimpin Kevin White in Jail, Abolishing the HCPTC.
    Moshe Leib

Blog Entries

I know, Moshe, most local associations are run by Big companies, closed door meetings and etc. For us in WA, Luxury cars means a minimum wheelbase of 114.5 inches.

So guess what qualifys by 0.1 inch
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/

I have already stated, I firmly believe that the NLA should be involved in the HCPTC battle in Florida but the fact is, you are right - Gunny is not a member. So, I am assuming no members called on the NLA to fight this battle. In the case of North Carolina - IF that sales tax requirement had been implemented, you can bet the other states would follow through as states like California, Hawaii and Michigan are hovering close to bankruptcy. This was an important issue.?
    Now James, you damn well know Gunny was an NLA member when the Tampa issued surfaced.

My letter to the NLA (Fran Shane) was published in LCT (check your archives).

I repeatedly reported NLA Prez Scott Solombrino called me & frankly stated that the NLA would not get involved because the other NLA members enjoy the regulation of the PTC & wanted the NLA to stay out of it.

Now, if I remained a member would the NLA have "assisted" me? Get farking real.

Now, what else have they done? As far as that BS report, what exactly does assisted mean? Someone from the NLA gave advice over the phone?

[quote=TBLIMO;82001]
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    Moshe, A prius is not a luxury car. And if the majority of us agree that it is not, you will not get much help. But you should be able to run anything. A local operator here has a civic hybrid on his website.
    QUOTE]

Can you define "luxury" for a sedan? more important, the law says "“Limousine” means any motor vehicle for hire not equipped with a taximeter, with a capacity for 15 passengers or less, including the driver." - this is the what the fight is about. The local association is totally corrupted with one target "do not let anybody into our market"
    Correction, the local NLA member association is totally corrupt.

Default Limo Associations Negative Impact On Consumers

B.S.!
    Truth! Not BS and well documented as well as reported on in many postings here on LDC as the events unfolded.

Large Operators, controlling local associations along with their taxihead counterparts work to price mom & pops out of business, restrict competition and raise transportation costs imposed on the consumer.
    Last edited by gunny; January 15th, 2010 at 08:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Truth! Not BS and well documented as well as reported on in many postings here on LDC as the events unfolded.

Large Operators, controlling local associations along with their taxihead counterparts work to price mom & pops out of business, restrict competition and raise transportation costs imposed on the consumer.

Consumers should boycott any limo operation flying NLA Colors.
    Maybe a thread pleading the boycott of companies such as myself and many others that are members of the NLA should be moved to the members only forum as you like to do Gunny.

Jim, I was not saying the NLA did nothing but, I think they are very selective in what they take on. In the case of Gunny's ordeal in FL, think there are some big players who are just fine the way things are so no action is taken. In the case of Capitol Hill trips they have been fairly ineffective the last 3 or so years.