Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Join the NLA - Yes or No

Default Join the NLA - Yes or No

I asked this question already in an other thread but there isn't much response...

So here I go again.

After being a member of the NLA for one year now I'm wondering what benefits I have in spending $205 other then being in a membership book. Maybe our market here in Tampa Bay is a little different than than others. But I don't belive too much into that "NLA-Networking". If I need to farm out I know my operators. When I have a request for an airport we don't serve, I just check the internet. I guess most of you do it the same way.

So, what else should it be good for? To display the logo most people don't care about or even don't know what it is good for? To get NLA % by a Ford Dealer? Every guy from the street could pull a better deal.

Did I maybe miss something what real gives me an advantage for being a member?

Hey, how about %% rebate for airport and cruise permits?

What is your experience?

Some like it and others do not. I do not own an operation and do not know first-hand if it is beneficial to the growth of an operation but I have heard many say that it is many for the book. I personally like the Sprint discount for my phone and mi-fi and my office uses some of the other discounts available to us.

In regards to a discount on fee imposed by AP's, ports, etc., these are there to increase revenue for those entities, I highly doubt they are going to discount them for the NLA or any other group. Would the NLA try? I would like to think that they would, but it is out of their control and I cannot think of a reason that an AP or the like would decrease their fees.

There are some other organizations that provide reciprocal memberships (ie: US Chamber of Commerce) if you are a member of the NLA.

For the most part, I think that the directory is the main thing that operators really favor.

I am surprised you didn't get more response to the question. It is usually an instant fire starter. I'm going to tell you why I feel it is important to be a member from my own perspective. If you think of that $205 as an investment of $3.94 per week it is really chump change.

Being forthright, being in the book IS the most important thing for me. Members generally only choose other members to farm work out to. We adhere to a code of ethics. Looking up someone on the Internet doesn't guarantee any level of service. But again, being completely honest, I attend all industry shows, my state association meetings and functions and meet many people in the industry. I don't always remember names & locations but if I have a job in Kalispell, Montana and I go look it up and see Marc Rold's name, I certainly remember the day I met Marc and his wife in Vegas and totally trust them.

NLARide.com is used by many travel and transportation professionals as their single source of booking corporate rides around the nation. It is like free advertising on a national level.

All of the educational seminar series at the industry trade shows is created by the NLA. The money to pay for materials, supplies, speakers etc. must come from somewhere and the educational value in most cases is invaluable. I know that most people think LCT puts together all the classes but that is not the case. Speaking of LCT, 50% off the subscription price for members.

20% off Create-A-Card who does all my marketing and business card materials. Check out their website. Oh, and I am a FastTrak software user and got 15% off on that.

Here is something real important. The limousine industry is always a target for government entities. Whether it is Fresno, California trying to implement their own limo licensing program or the DOT shaking down operators engaged in crossing statelines, the NLA has congress and senator members in thier back pocket and the lobbyists do wonders behind the scenes. While they cannot battle every single operator's battles, they handle stuff that affects the majority of the industry and financially assists state associations with their own battles through funding and lobbyist assistance. The more members we have, the more clout we pull together.

The bigger the crowd making noise about new laws the affect us, the more the government will listen to the masses. If the masses consist of 200 people, who cares? If there are 2,000 of us, it is a little bit of a mess.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Association discounts? WTF? Only important for those who don't need write-offs.

There may be (not proven by unbiased individuals) economic bennies in joining the NLA.

Those looking for a strong ethical association with a proven track record will be disappointed.

Question is why are there Operators who can't run from one state to a city in another state without that city threatening arrest, vehicle seizures and fines? Numerous Case Laws proves the Wrecker Industry brought such abuse of federal preemptions before federal courts. Why hasn't the NLA taken legal measures to enforce the RIDE Act?

One example of the inept leadership known as the National Limousine Association aka National Lackey Association.

BTW, those who don't know what the RIDE Act is, join the NLA. They need the ignorants to support their agendas.
    Last edited by gunny; January 13th, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Being in the guide and having the guide are probably worth the investment. Depending on where you operate from, if you are in a large market and you are not a large operator you will probably not get much work from the guide. But if you are in a small market it could be beneficial to you, to be included in the guide.

As far as discounts, I never received much benefit from being a member. I could always negotiate a better deal on my own for cell phones etc... I am certain in this economy if you wanted mints, business cards or web design Create A Card would probably extend 20% to you just to get the business.

I think local associations are a better deal, you get to meet other locals, when you need help locally it is good to have a relationship with your local operators.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

I joined the NLA as soon as I set up shop, after my first year I had gotten 1 NLA ride request, which of course I never heard from, and no calls for affiliate work. I did not renew, but I actually got two or three bookings from being in the book during my second year. I am going to be renewing my NLA membership once I get a bigger limo so that I have more to offer companies looking to give out a farm job.

I am a member of the nla. I have never got an affliate ride and probably won't. I service a very limited area and there are a lot of big players who get the work before me. I am also a member of the limo association of nj. I plan on joining the tlpa also very soon. Its a small amount of money to spend.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Most operators face association memberships with the rationale: ďwhatís in it for me?Ē

I think if you have to ask, you should just pass.

Unless you have a specific reason for walking, itís usually better once a member to stay a member.

If itís any consolation, the NLA has members that have no clue at all why they joined, other than they thought it was the thing to do because it looks like everyone else does it. Or they thought they would get an avalanche of referrals.

Look, being a member and putting a sticker on your car or using a logo may give you something in common with Music Express or Empire, but trust me you wonít be Music Express or Empire just because of it. You can read the benefits just as clearly as the next person.

Only you can determine if those things are of any value or importance to you.
    Karl Jones

Now it really becomes interesting...

Some of you folks just join some association for just joining it even though you don't know what benefits you have from joining. In addition I'm wondering that some of you say $205 is no money?

Then how about my next idea for all those folks
    Join "MFN" - "Money for Nothing"
    You send me a $205 check and I spend it on my discretion for whatever I like. WHAT?! Why should you do that? Because $205 doesn't bother you - right - and - hey, I list you on my "MFN" Webpage. So you have at least some advertisement.

Seriously, you wouldn't do that - or would you?

Default Need A Cool Logo

Quote Originally Posted by L8 Back View Post
    Now it really becomes interesting...

Some of you folks just join some association for just joining it even though you don't know what benefits you have from joining. In addition I'm wondering that some of you say $205 is no money?

Then how about my next idea for all those folks
    Join "MFN" - "Money for Nothing"
    You send me a $205 check and I spend it on my discretion for whatever I like. WHAT?! Why should you do that? Because $205 doesn't bother you - right - and - hey, I list you on my "MFN" Webpage. So you have at least some advertisement.

Seriously, you wouldn't do that - or would you?
    For the contributors to put onto their adds & don't forget the stickers for the cars. This way they'll feel important.

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    For the contributors to put onto their adds & don't forget the stickers for the cars. This way they'll feel important.
    Oh, I will provide stickers too

How much would it cost you to publish, print, and mail one of those directories to everyone in it?

That $200 is not vanishing. I'm not pissed off about what my dues are and they are more than yours because I am not an operator--and I honestly can say that I have not received any business from someone seeing my name in it, but I choose to be a member to support it. Sure there's a lot of waste, what business association doesn't have a lot of waste, but there are still benefits that some people gain from being a member.

I had almost hoped Gunny would chime in. This is an area we strongly disagree in. Gunny doesn't like the NLA because they didn't support his cause and battle that he is currently waging. I will publicly say that to that end, having written several articles about his issue in his local area and thoroughly investigated a regulatory agency interfering in his business, the NLA CLEARLY missed the boat and most certainly should be waging the battle he is in.

However, as I mentioned, they can only do so much. Gunny's legal battle, waged by himself, is an expensive proposition and there are many, many such battles taking place around the nation. Every court action cost money funded by the NLA. Regular contributions are made to political campaigns with good reason. It is how the world goes round and when the dues is chump change of $200, there are only so many battles that can be waged.

If the dues was higher, maybe the NLA could do more. Either way, I could share success story after success of things they have done for individual operators that became embroiled in government action against them. I can tell you success on Capitol Hill.

And, as others have said, always belong to your State Association in addition to the NLA. By the way, this same thought process could be used to ask, "Why did I join the chamber of commerce, Better Business Bureau, Rotary Club, Lead Generation Club, Social Club etc"

Either you thought you would get something out of it or it lended some prestige.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    I had almost hoped Gunny would chime in. This is an area we strongly disagree in. Gunny doesn't like the NLA because they didn't support his cause and battle that he is currently waging. I will publicly say that to that end, having written several articles about his issue in his local area and thoroughly investigated a regulatory agency interfering in his business, the NLA CLEARLY missed the boat and most certainly should be waging the battle he is in.

However, as I mentioned, they can only do so much. Gunny's legal battle, waged by himself, is an expensive proposition and there are many, many such battles taking place around the nation. Every court action cost money funded by the NLA. Regular contributions are made to political campaigns with good reason. It is how the world goes round and when the dues is chump change of $200, there are only so many battles that can be waged.

If the dues was higher, maybe the NLA could do more. Either way, I could share success story after success of things they have done for individual operators that became embroiled in government action against them. I can tell you success on Capitol Hill.

And, as others have said, always belong to your State Association in addition to the NLA. By the way, this same thought process could be used to ask, "Why did I join the chamber of commerce, Better Business Bureau, Rotary Club, Lead Generation Club, Social Club etc"

Either you thought you would get something out of it or it lended some prestige.
    The Tampa fight is just the tip of the iceberg regarding my distain for the NLA. And lets not forget, a sitting NLA Board member was from the Tampa area. And that this Board Member supported what Luff is now reporting on and is not on any public record opposing such bullshit regulation .

I perceive the NLA as a clique of scumbags using membership dollars to support THEIR OWN agenda which has little impact on the industry as a whole. Compared with other motor carrier associations who have forced locals violating federal laws all the way up to the US Supreme Court , the NLA lacks balls to make such a move.

When I read a NLA heavyweight making false claims to the Court in a lawsuit against some small dude trying to scratch a living, another farking his employees out of fair wages etc., this is not the type of association I will support.

When the NLA annoints as president, an individual from a state with one of the most restrictive and corrupt regulatory chokeholds on small operators nationally, I want no part of this association.

And why did the NLA pull supprt for thru-ticketing??? Again, above the heads of many of the lightbulb changers. Thru-ticketing, which would of given blanket "interstate status" to non-taxi cab motor carriers. Why? FEAR of losing local market entry controls. Who does this benefit? What areas require a COPCN to go into business? The same types who cry the loudest about airport fees maybe???

Write a check to the NLA? Might as well write one to Al-Qaeda also.

And lets not forget where the political contributions go:

National Limousine Assn Contributions to Federal Candidates

House
    Total to Democrats: $6,500
    Total to Republicans: $250

Andrews, Robert E (D-NJ) $1,500
    Bartlett, Roscoe G (R-MD) $250
    Brown, Corrine (D-FL) $1,500
    Hall, John (D-NY) $500
    Pascrell, Bill Jr (D-NJ) $3,000

Senate
    Total to Democrats: $3,300
    Total to Republicans: $0

Clinton, Hillary (D-NY) $2,300
    Lautenberg, Frank R (D-NJ) $1,000

I can continue on but why. When my time comes to be planted, it will be amongst men of honor who served a much higher purpose in life than being a member of the farking NLA. That's real prestige.
    Last edited by gunny; January 14th, 2010 at 08:59 AM.

Thank you Gunny for your most eloquent response. And here I had put my armor on already. Such a pain in the ass to take all this gear off. Who knew you woke up drinking de-caf today?
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA