Thread: Greater New Orleans Independent Livery Association

Members,
    Our next meeting will be on Thursday March 20, 2003 at 6 p.m. There will be two guest speakers so please be on time!

Thanks to all who attended the meeting! I hope everyone was able to take something positve from the meeting and met someone who may help them out in the future.

Here is what the New Orlenes Taxi drivers are complaining about:
    Who is the new Limo Franchise he refers to?

Unfair competition is squeezing taxicab drivers
    Saturday March 22, 2003

I am a 20-year cab driver, with no retirement in sight, and I must comment on the recent humbug on the airport taxi-limousine issue.

Here's a hypothetical situation:

I come into the airport with three buddies, or my wife and two kids, and I have a chance to take a cab for $48 or a stretch limo for $55. What would I do?

I'll bet you I would take the limo.

This is what the humbug is about!

Here you have a situation where big political money is talking loudly, and poor old cab driver money is trying to fight back by taking up a collection for a dollar or two a head. We can't win!

The new limo franchise that works the airport is a direct threat to our livelihood. It threatens our business as professional drivers and proven operators.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that the limo people have a booth inside the airport advertising their prices. The taxi industry does not.

And I don't want to hear how the limo drivers wish they could get a raise.

Give me a break!

Hey pal, our raises have to be approved by the New Orleans City Council, and they are slow as dirt.

Gas prices are eating us alive, and we absolutely need a surcharge plus the meter to keep operating in the black.

H.T. "Ted Taxi" Ellison

Kenner
    nola.com

Steve Walker
    Azusa, CA
    steve@capriceshop.com
    http://www.capriceshop.com
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Steve, One of the New Orleans Associations holds the limousine portion of the airport contract. Many of the Taxicab people feel they were left out of the loop of events that led to the awarding of the contract. Share-ride is quite common in the US, so this is not a new invention. You may wish to contact John Williams of the Greater New Orleans Independent Livery Operators Association to obtain more data. Note: Mr. William's Association does not hold the limousine airport contract. You can reach Mr. Williams at 504-421-7245.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Steve, If you are really interested in this topic, you may wish to call Mr. Joe Bonomolo ( In business for thirty years ) at 504-523-2666. I am sure you will receive a very interesting point of view !!

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Steve, Alan Fisher, the NLA Founder may be someone you wish to call. 504-586-0700, cell phone 504-232-7666.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

The Taxicab folks need a raise for sure. Their issues with Nomata-the local limousine association that holds the airport limousine contract are full of tension at this point in time. This particular issue is not my fight. I service the Premium Client only and that is my focus.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

It should be noted that I do not accept any restraint of trade b.s. on my high-end livery business.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Steve,
    The limo airport deal is a real downer for the local industry. What kind of clients will you attract with $35 for an airport transfer, a service that normally runs $60 plus tip?????????? A week ago in the Times Picayune the owners of this contract are already asking for a rate increase. This same group, Nomata, formed in 1999 to better the industry. Lowering rates with costs rising everyday is NOT the way! No one company or association will ever be able to provide service to everyone in need. Our association members have seen a 40-60% increase in their business in 2002. Competition is healthly for you and the client because it raises the bar for everyone. We don't drive "stretch cabs" we provide a service and experience you will want to remember!!!!

GNOILA PRES.

Members, our next meeting is April 21, 2003 at 6p.m. The location will be announced at a later date.

Price is always the last refuge of those who are doomed. Sell QUALITY and the Golden Road wil open to you. Share-ride and private premium service are diiferent in a major way.........

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

If you genuinely believe in, follow through, and resonate service-the price cutters will never touch you. Frankly, they do not matter or figure in to the Book of Livery.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler