Thread: Bitly.com

Default Bitly.com

Passing on a little tip to my fellow FB and Twitter users, or even possibly those who do email newlettes.

Bitly.com, the URL shortener, is a free service.
    Shorten your URL's using Bitly and it will track how many clicks you get.

I find it useful to create a different bitly link for each twitter and FB post to gauge how many people click through.

Enjoy!
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Is there any SEO value in using bilty.

One thing to note if you try to use it for tracking who clicks on the link, the tracking seems to be on where you link to.

I normally don't use it, but used it the other day to send a link to people at work, but didn't want them to see the actual URL. I created the link, sent out the e-mail, and right afterward (before the e-mail came in, cause I was in the mailing list), I clicked on the link to track it, and it said over 100 people had tweeted my link, over 100 had it re-posted on facebook, etc...

So to get better tracking try adding #4633543 (pound symbol and a random number) to make sure it is unique URL.

-Greg

Hmmm. I haven't had that issue.
    Tony Franzetti

Interesting!
    "Girls might be able to fake orgasams, but men can fake whole relationships"

www.limoservicedenver.com

Very Interesting!!!
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Brandon:

For Twitter users a link to your own server such as in your example is way too long.
    Minimum digits is the key as the length of a tweet is restricted in length and space must be left for people to retweet as well.

Also, by using bit.ly you can track the performance of each individual tweet or FB post by seeing the report from bit.ly on the number of clicks on each link. Just creat a new short URL for every tweet or FB post and have them all point to the same landing page. If you tweet the same website landing page 4 times in a day you wouldn't be able to see which tweeting time was most effective unless you were using bit.ly. I also use it to see if I am getting more response from FB or Twitter by creating separate short URLs for each application.
    I guess you could create a landing page every single time, but that would be more of a pain.
    Last edited by TxLimoGuy; December 6th, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
    Tony Franzetti

Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    One thing to note if you try to use it for tracking who clicks on the link, the tracking seems to be on where you link to.

I normally don't use it, but used it the other day to send a link to people at work, but didn't want them to see the actual URL. I created the link, sent out the e-mail, and right afterward (before the e-mail came in, cause I was in the mailing list), I clicked on the link to track it, and it said over 100 people had tweeted my link, over 100 had it re-posted on facebook, etc...

So to get better tracking try adding #4633543 (pound symbol and a random number) to make sure it is unique URL.

-Greg

Greg:

Just look at the number of clicks on the bitly link when you are on your logged-in bit.ly homepage.
    The tool also tracks other stuff and reports data relative to the longer URL and that is probably what you were looking at. You can read about this in the bit.ly FAQ at the bottom of their website. My total tweets, FB shares, etc is much higher than the actual clicks reported on the Bit.ly short link. I am guessing you were looking at those secondary numbers relative to your longer URL.
    Last edited by TxLimoGuy; December 6th, 2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Tony Franzetti

Interesting.......

Quote Originally Posted by Limo-Service View Post
    Is there any SEO value in using bilty.
    Google saids they give page rank to short URLs if they have a 301 redirect. I found this link this morning.

That's unbelievable! The only thing I don't get is how would that be relevant to limo business and limo web site optimization?

v.t.

chicago seo marketing

Good points in bringing up SEO.

It seems it is SEO friendly to use bit.ly or tinyURL.
    From the bit.ly FAQ:

301 Redirects:
    A “redirect” is a technique for making a web page available under many URLs. When you shorten a link with bit.ly, you are redirecting a click from bit.ly to the destination URL. A 301 redirect is the most efficient and search engine friendly method for webpage redirection, and is what bit.ly uses. Because bit.ly doesn’t re-use our links, we consider our redirects to be permanent.

In answer to the gentleman from Chicago, URL shortening really has nothing to do with the limo website itself. This post was directed to limo operators who are Twitter users, and to some extent Facebook users.
    If you sometimes provide links in your Tweets or FB posts, using a URL shortner you can track clickthroughs on each post if you provide a different URL for each different posting from one of these URL shortening services.
    Tony Franzetti

Quote Originally Posted by TxLimoGuy View Post
    Good points in bringing up SEO.

It seems it is SEO friendly to use bit.ly or tinyURL.
    From the bit.ly FAQ:

301 Redirects:
    A “redirect” is a technique for making a web page available under many URLs. When you shorten a link with bit.ly, you are redirecting a click from bit.ly to the destination URL. A 301 redirect is the most efficient and search engine friendly method for webpage redirection, and is what bit.ly uses. Because bit.ly doesn’t re-use our links, we consider our redirects to be permanent.

In answer to the gentleman from Chicago, URL shortening really has nothing to do with the limo website itself. This post was directed to limo operators who are Twitter users, and to some extent Facebook users.
    If you sometimes provide links in your Tweets or FB posts, using a URL shortner you can track clickthroughs on each post if you provide a different URL for each different posting from one of these URL shortening services.
    Good Post.