Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Workmans Compensation for Independent Sub-contractors

Default An example of poor communication.....

Quote Originally Posted by Limo-Service View Post
    Also for those that don't want antiquated Maryland Workers Comp Laws. When searching for information about Maryland's workers comp laws be careful they have changed they used to be found under the Annotated Code Of Maryland Article 101 now the workers comp Act is found under title 9 of the Labor and Employment Article of MD. Hope this helps.
    "Also for those that don't want antiquated Maryland Workers Comp Laws."

A prime example of why we don't understand. Look at this sentence. Despite the fact there should be a comma between Also and those, the sentence ends with a period without conveying anything. "Also, for those that don't want antiquated Maryland Workers Comp Laws. WHAT? WHAT? The sentence just comes to an abrupt end without conveying a thought.

When searching for information about Maryland's workers comp laws be careful they have changed they used to be found under the Annotated Code Of Maryland Article 101 now the workers comp Act is found under title 9 of the Labor and Employment Article of MD.

Whoa! Look at this run-on sentence. I THINK it should read like this:

When searching for information about Maryland's workers comp laws, be careful (where you look). They have changed. They used to be found under the Annotated Code Of Maryland Article 101. Now, the workers comp Act is found under title 9 of the Labor and Employment Article of MD.

"Hope this helps".

Certainly not in the way it was written. It just causes more confusion. I think now that I cleaned it up people will understand what you are really trying to say. But then again, I am guessing at what you were trying to say and hoping I got it right myself.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Just dumb, and as soon as word gets out among the chauffeurs or they fire one, they will have both at the door wanting to look at the books. Just very short-sighted to operate this way.

Just like operating out of your house and not putting money in your budget for office space. So many in MD start out that way and the neighbors don't care at first until you start adding vehicles and cars are going in and out at all hours, then someone complains and zoning comes in and say you can't do this from your residence and all of the sudden you are upside down. This too is short-sighted.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Luff, I give you 89 on this weeks grammar quiz!

Default Why????

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
    Do you guys know if you can do this? : Has anybody here thought about paying the drivers like waitresses get paid: $2.75 an hour or whatever their wage is and the rest is tips, and the tips the company doesnt have to pay unemployement on etc, or pay just minimum wage and the rest is tips.
    Why can you not just pay your EMPLOYEES a decent wage and care enough about them to pay for workers comp coverage to take care of the people who work for you. They put a roof over your head, food in your belly, pay for your childrens education and represent your company.

Why on earth does it have to be so difficult to follow what almost every company in America does? They pay their employees, collect payroll taxes, pay payroll taxes and purchase workers comp policies to protect their people. I cannot understand why so many people in this industry try to skirt that issue and screw over the people that make up the company.

Think about your favorite chauffuer (you know we all have one) and think of him getting in a horrific car crash on the way to a concert out of town. His back is broken. He can't work for months. Do you not care about this person enough to want to make sure his medical bills are covered, his family has food to eat and a roof over their head while he heals? Are people so farking greedy that you just don't care about your help.

To offer someone $2.75 an hour for this job is dispicable. I cannot even fathom the idea being floated! My company is regularly entrusted to drive the chairman of the board of Chevron, Shell Oil and Nations Petroleum. Yup, I am naming names to drive the impact here...... Do you REALLY want someone driving the chairman of the board of Chevron for $2.75 an hour? What kind of worker do you think you will land for $2.75 per hour?

My guys that are driving passengers like this are making a very minimum of $16.00 per hour and I don't know what they make in tips because I don't ask. Tips are earned in the car, on the run.

I can tell you this......I did a training run last night teaching a new chauffeur the ropes of an LAX pickup in a limo. When we concluded the five hour run, the client bestowed a $140 tip on the chauffeur. As a rookie, we started this chauffeur at $14.25. He had 6.50 hours on the clock for a gross income of $232.62 including his EARNED tips.

I will pay payroll taxes on the $14.25 per hour. So will he. I will pay Worker's Comp premiums on the $14.25 per hour and if anything happens to this chauffeur, I certainly want him covered.

The penney pinchers will never get ahead. You will never earn the quality of client that makes a limousine company successful in the long run because your people will never deliver the service required to earn repeat business. Happy chauffeurs deliver excellent service.

On December 4th, I recognized a chauffeur on his 18 year anniversary with our company. On March 5th, I will recognize another one with 15 years of service.

After two years in court in the early 90's battling the IRS, the State of California and the Unemployment board, I saw the light. I have employees. They are not contractors. I have direction and control over them and I want that. I can force them to deliver service my way. That is a good thing. I became an expert on what is and what is not a true I/C relationship. No chauffeurs rent a vehicle from me nor do they own their own vehicle. They drive company vehicles for company clients with company gas in a company insured vehicle and the company pays the employee for doing so.

It is sooooooo black and white!
    Last edited by Limo Scene; December 7th, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Bravo Jim, this should be your next post at LCT Blog, it should be the mantra of the NLA and every association of the country.

And this is the very reason there are price whore's out there. People complain about them but many of them feed the system.

And yes it is about greed.

When I was in the video business years ago as a sales rep, most of my stores were mom and pop operations, I use to try and educate them, many of them paid staff cash under the table, many of them shut down cash register on Sat at 4 PM anything they made until closing time was their pay for the week. Could never pay for the new movies always bouncing checks, never wanted to put money back into the store, no need the people keep coming. They a company in FLA says they want to dominate the video industry. I told them the times are changing you better keep up, the response no outsider will come in and hurt me I am a community member. Most of them lost their homes and business and in some case it split families up and in 2 cases lead to suicide.

The limo business has always reminded of the video business in these aspects. It's was a fun business, you did not have to do much to get in, but it is a business and in the end if you don't fly straight and do the right thing it all comes crashing down.

After reading my post again I want to clear up something. When my program goes in place we will have no Employee or Contractor relationship established. Key point. So we don't fall under workers comp. Now what we do. I 'm not willing to explain do to my investment. Also what we have setup can not be used everywhere. For example if your Licensed by WMATC this way of operating is prohibited under the regulations. Those folks claming they are so ......and been around so long blah,blah..... I'm sure will post the answer to what we do. Or make other claims to try and boost their ego. Useless for helping people. If you employ or contract with companies in Maryland I hope some of the post in this thread are helpful.

After reading my post again I want to clear up something. When my program goes in place we will have no Employee or Contractor relationship established. Key point. So we don't fall under workers comp. Now what we do. I 'm not willing to explain do to my investment. Also what we have setup can not be used everywhere. For example if your Licensed by WMATC this way of operating is prohibited under the regulations. Those folks claming they are so ......and been around so long blah,blah..... I'm sure will post the answer to what we do. Or make other claims to try and boost their ego. Useless for helping people. If you employ or contract with companies in Maryland I hope some of the post in this thread are helpful.

Limo-Service, what you have posted here is no assistance to anyone since you have not said what it is you are doing. No one has made any claim to what you are doing is wrong or anything of that nature. You came and posted something that makes zero sense for anyone here and then threaten to sue anyone that questions what you are saying. You don't have to worry about a lawsuit no one understands. I can't help but feel the only ego in the room is yours.
    Good luck with whatever it is you are trying to do. I am sure in time someone will post what you are attempting to do. You don't have to fear any of us. But if you think that PSC and MLA and WMATC don't lurk around this site I am certain you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Wire View Post
    Limo-Service, what you have posted here is no assistance to anyone since you have not said what it is you are doing. No one has made any claim to what you are doing is wrong or anything of that nature. You came and posted something that makes zero sense for anyone here and then threaten to sue anyone that questions what you are saying. You don't have to worry about a lawsuit no one understands. I can't help but feel the only ego in the room is yours.
    Good luck with whatever it is you are trying to do. I am sure in time someone will post what you are attempting to do. You don't have to fear any of us. But if you think that PSC and MLA and WMATC don't lurk around this site I am certain you are mistaken.

My friend the law doesn't change because some organization may be lurking. Just say you don't no. Sounds more creditable. You write as you speak for everyone on this board are you a forum bully.

Oh please, forum bully I was trying to support you in the begining of this thread. I had hope that maybe you had found something new in the law. Believe me everyone here likes to hear new and interesting ways to protect themselves and become more profitable. So I guess when it is rolled out, we will hear from somebody else what this is. We did not ask for you to tell us what it is you are doing, you offered to tell everyone. Don't be mad when people ask you to explain.

This is a legal matter I would suggest speaking with an attorney. I have the legal right to use IC's under my state regulations however after speaking with my lawyer it would cost me around $30,000 to assert my legal right against the state regulatory agency. However I was advised how to perform the services I want with out problems with the state it cost me almost a grand but it was worth for me, I would suggset you do the same.
    I think you should read my post starting from this one.

I have read your posts, and I get that you don't want to tell your competitors what you are doing and you want others to go pay a grand to find out what you found out. So why say anything in relation to this thread. Or why not just say have your lawyer take a good look at blah blah blah, if he is a good lawyer he will figure it out. That was all you had to say, no need to threaten anyone with lawsuits and letters. I never knew that you were stopped by PSC for anything and lost thousands until you brought it up. Believe me you could right a book on what the PSC doesn't know. And with 5 officers covering the entire state it is like the wild west in MD. And the fact that the officers work 9-5 and very seldom weekends, you can pretty much do whatever you want in this state. They are very much like emission inspections they generate revenue for doing very little. Personally I like most of them in the Baltimore office. They are very nice people, something that we do agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Wire View Post
    I have read your posts, and I get that you don't want to tell your competitors what you are doing and you want others to go pay a grand to find out what you found out. So why say anything in relation to this thread. Or why not just say have your lawyer take a good look at blah blah blah, if he is a good lawyer he will figure it out. That was all you had to say, no need to threaten anyone with lawsuits and letters. I never knew that you were stopped by PSC for anything and lost thousands until you brought it up. Believe me you could right a book on what the PSC doesn't know. And with 5 officers covering the entire state it is like the wild west in MD. And the fact that the officers work 9-5 and very seldom weekends, you can pretty much do whatever you want in this state. They are very much like emission inspections they generate revenue for doing very little. Personally I like most of them in the Baltimore office. They are very nice people, something that we do agree on.
    Thank you for your response and I hope we can move on from this now.