Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounds like a Scam????

Seriously though, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. When they add additonal charge from your account. how do they actually get the cash? I'm thinking the bogus charge would appear in your account as additonal monies? Sorry I'm glad I'm just a chauffeur and not an operator/owner
    If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving probably isn't for you

Wow Mr. Luff! How exciting! Feels good to have helped prevent someone getting scammed, I'm sure!
    Lenora Bowman

Johnny B's Limousine Service
    Charlotte, NC
    We have the only Pink Escalade Limo in the Carolinas!
    www.limojohnny.com

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1300 View Post
    hey you never know you may have won the nigerian lottery
    I figure you can trust the English...I think I have won the U.K. lottery at least hundred times now. I think it is time to make the email address on our site a pic and not text!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1300 View Post
    Seriously though, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. When they add additonal charge from your account. how do they actually get the cash? I'm thinking the bogus charge would appear in your account as additonal monies? Sorry I'm glad I'm just a chauffeur and not an operator/owner
    How it works is:

Say the limo cost is $500 they ask you to charge an additional $2000 to the costs and charge

THEIR credit card for a total of $2500. Then they want you to send the extra $2000 to

a third party.

Then the credit card bank chargesback your account for the total $2500.

$2000 of which you sent by check or wire to a third party.

Usually it is a lot more than $2000 more like $8-9000. they ask for.

The give away is the email requests a quote of a pick up In YOUR AREA and never

mentions where or what airport. Also if you look at the email it is usually sent to several limo

companies at the same time.

Senior Member Limo Padawan MrGoldwing's Avatar

I love the calls when I pickup the phone and say: How may I help you. She replies: I belive that Im speaking to the owner? I ask: Why would you believe that? She says: You sound like an owner? I ask how do I sound like an owner, is it the deep sound of my voice is it because I ask How can I help you? she says: You just do sound like an owner. I ask how (playing off as Im a dispatcher). She says - You just do? I ask: Are you psychic - because you are wrong - You are talking to the dispatcher - why would you assume Im an owner?

See, these marketing people all the want to do is talk to the owner - not dispatcher, not supervisor. With the way they do this - they will never talk to the owner.
    Funny thing is that she called 10 other times saying exactly the same but I used to answer - No IM not the owner and she just hanged up rudly.

If she calls again I will tell her that the owner DIED. It worked for me on previous occasions. Just say that owner died. lol. I usually laugh at their response to that one. lol

Here is how I handle those pesky callers. We have an extension on our mailbox. When they ask to speak to the owner, we say, "Can we tell him who is calling and what your call is regarding?" They will usually give you some sentence that is clearly a sales call and then we say, "Sure hold on" and transfer the call to the mailbox.

Here is what the caller hears:

Now transferring to our general manager

Hello, you have been referred to this mailbox as a possible sales call. This number is registered with the Federal Trade Commission on the "Do Not Call" list. We do not accept unsolicited phone calls and ask that you remove our number from your database immediately. If your call was sent to this mailbox in error, please leave a message. We will review it and take appropriate action.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Look what I just got today:

Hello ,

My name is Cole Smith Of Next Day Leisures ,Our company Provides Travel & Leisure Services to Our Clients Worldwide .I would like to make a Limousine reservation for our client who will be visiting your country with his family from united kingdom .Your service would be needed on the day of there arrival from the airport to the Hotel they would be Lodging and some places around .please find below the service you will be providing.

NUMBER OF GUESTS : 5
    ARRIVAL DATE : 20th November 2009
    CHARGE FOR AN HOUR
    TOTAL CHARGES FOR 4 HOURS

So please get back to me as soon as possible with the total cost as required,so i can provide you with my credit card details for the total payment of the Service.I have viewed your website and it's contents and would be happy if you dont direct me back to your website.
    Your Earliest Response Would Be Appreciated .

Keep In touch.
    Regards ,
    Cole Smith
    Next Day Leisures

HERE IS HOW I RESPONDED:

Thank you for contacting us. You contacted me at my personal e-mail address rather than the company.

Thank you for taking the time to view our website. While we are interested in providing service for your client I need to create an affiliate profile for you. I have tried to locate your information on the Internet without success. Is this the same company Howard Fabrics works for?

Please provide the following information:

Legal Company name:
    CEO/President:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Zip:
    Phone Number:

State License #:

Once we verify your company information, we will engage in discussion with you about subcontracting jobs to us.

I look forward to your reply.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Ha, Ha we get that same email twice per week from diffrent email addresses. I just laugh and delete it, its total BS!
    Daytona Limos
    Daytona Beach Limo Service
    Nationwide 800-296-1990
    Need limo service outside of Daytona Beach?
    Palm Coast Limo
    Orlando Limo
    Jacksonville Limo
    Daytona Limo
    Palatka Limo
    Titusville Limo
    Palm Coast Limousines

Talking

Emails like "Cole Smith's " are absolute proof that the genetic pool needs some serious auditing.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post

Hello ,

My name is Cole Smith Of Next Day Leisures ,Our company Provides Travel & Leisure Services to Our Clients Worldwide .I would like to make a Limousine reservation for our client who will be visiting your country with his family from united kingdom .Your service would be needed on the day of there arrival from the airport to the Hotel they would be Lodging and some places around .please find below the service you will be providing.

CHARGE FOR AN HOUR

So please get back to me as soon as possible with the total cost as required,so i can provide you with my credit card details for the total payment of the Service.I have viewed your website and it's contents and would be happy if you dont direct me back to your website.

Keep In touch.
    Regards ,
    Cole Smith
    Next Day Leisures

HERE IS HOW I RESPONDED:

Thank you for contacting us. You contacted me at my personal e-mail address rather than the company.

Thank you for taking the time to view our website. While we are interested in providing service for your client I need to create an affiliate profile for you. I have tried to locate your information on the Internet without success. Is this the same company Howard Fabrics works for?

Legal Company name:
    CEO/President:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Zip:
    Phone Number:

State License #:

Once we verify your company information, we will engage in discussion with you about subcontracting jobs to us.

Dean Schuler

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post

Hello ,

CHARGE FOR AN HOUR

Keep In touch.
    Regards ,
    Cole Smith
    Next Day Leisures

HERE IS HOW I RESPONDED:

Legal Company name:
    CEO/President:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Zip:
    Phone Number:

State License #:

I got the same e-mail the other day also
    Mark Sutliffe, Owner
    Finger Lakes Limousine & Coach

www.fingerlakeslimo.com
    mark@fingerlakeslimo.com

I think I got the same one also. If I wasn't so rich already from winning multiple Euro/British lottories(not to mention my nigeria investments portfolio), I might take the time to reply.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Default UK based scams

I have had a similar approach from the UK and after some research decided it was a scam. I actually spoke to the scammer in the UK and although he claimed to have a very British name, he had a very strong foreign accent which I think was probably Pakistani.

I am a Brit and the owner of London Limousines of Reno. I was an owner operator in the Financial District in the City of London for 12 years and naturally have good contacts there. I passed copies of the scam e mails and a link to this website to a friend in London who is an ex Metropolitan Police Officer. She has passed this on to the superintendent of her local police station and I am awaiting his reaction.

There are many genuine enquiries originating from the UK and it would be unfortunate if these are tainted by scamming of this sort.

I will update here with any developments.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

We received the same email and after responding as if it were a real request they responded back asking to overcharge their card and send the balance back to them...this is a scam.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mill Limousine View Post
    We received the same email and after responding as if it were a real request they responded back asking to overcharge their card and send the balance back to them...this is a scam.
    I say play dumb and waste their time(if you don't mind wasting a little of yours). Take the cc info and report it, so hopefully they can't use the same number at least. The more thime you waste for them means the less people get scammed and hopefully they will give up because it's not worth it.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Scam Got one 10 min ago Next step he asks you to also pay for a chef for a week. Then he wants to send cashiers check
    "Girls might be able to fake orgasams, but men can fake whole relationships"

www.limoservicedenver.com