Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounds like a Scam????

Default Sounds like a Scam????

Got this in my email today, any thought on this? Smells a little fishy.

Hello ,

My name is Humphery Purcell Of Next Day Leisure's ,Our company Provides Travel & Leisure Services to Our Clients Worldwide .I would like to make a Limousine reservation for our client who will be visiting your country with his family from Africa.Your service would be needed on the day of there arrival from the airport to the Hotel they would be Lodging and some places around .please find below the service you will be providing.

NUMBER OF GUESTS : 3
    ARRIVAL DATE : 6th November 2009
    CHARGE FOR AN HOUR
    TOTAL CHARGES FOR 6 HOURS

So please get back to me as soon as possible with the total cost as required,so i can provide you with my credit card details for the total payment of the Service.I have viewed your website and it's contents and would be happy if you don't direct me back to your website.

Your Earliest Response Would Be Appreciated .
    Keep In touch.

Regards ,
    Humphery Purcell
    Next Day Leisures

Scam....received one almost identical last week

Default Sounds like a Scam????

Hello to all,

New member as of today.

Received one just like it this morning. I gave him a quote and this was the response I got back. Defiantly a scam.

Hello,

Thanks for the response with the quote.I am OK with the quote and i
    would have my clients put things in order for their flight on the 6th
    of Nov.I would have to seek of a favor from you and i would be happy
    if you can be able to grant me the favor i seek from you . Due to my
    present health condition,i would provide you my credit card details
    for you to charge for the total cost of the service + Tip and also i
    would like you to charge an extra sum of $ which would be used by the
    travel agent in charge of their flight arrangements .I am sorry if i
    am asking for too much but i would have forwarded my credit card
    details to the Travel Agent but i was meant to know that they don't
    have a credit card facility and the only mode of payment would be
    through western union or money gram and that's why i am seeking your
    favor on this,i would be willing to compensate you if you can
    assist me on this .

Kindly let me know if you can assist me so i can forward you with my
    credit card details for payment and confirmation of booking .

Your urgent response would be appreciated.

Warm Regards .

Mr Humphery

Quote Originally Posted by Central Limousine NJ View Post
    Hello to all,

New member as of today.

Received one just like it this morning. I gave him a quote and this was the response I got back. Defiantly a scam.

Hello,

Thanks for the response with the quote.I am OK with the quote and i
    would have my clients put things in order for their flight on the 6th
    of Nov.I would have to seek of a favor from you and i would be happy
    if you can be able to grant me the favor i seek from you . Due to my
    present health condition,i would provide you my credit card details
    for you to charge for the total cost of the service + Tip and also i
    would like you to charge an extra sum of $ which would be used by the
    travel agent in charge of their flight arrangements .I am sorry if i
    am asking for too much but i would have forwarded my credit card
    details to the Travel Agent but i was meant to know that they don't
    have a credit card facility and the only mode of payment would be
    through western union or money gram and that's why i am seeking your
    favor on this,i would be willing to compensate you if you can
    assist me on this .

Kindly let me know if you can assist me so i can forward you with my
    credit card details for payment and confirmation of booking .

Your urgent response would be appreciated.

Warm Regards .

Mr Humphery
    These are common scams tha have been around for years ,just different variations of the same thing , charge their credit for the limo PLUS several thousands $$$ more and forward the extra $$$ to a third party.

Then comes the chargeback from your credit card prossesor and the $$$ removed from your account for the total charge after you paid the third party.

I usually play along and tell them I will have add a service charge usually $1500-2000 for paying the third party. They usually agree and I have them sent their credit card info .

Which I turn over the fraud department of the bank that issued the credit card.

Thanks for the input. Its amazing how some people make a living from scamming
    Last edited by Central Limousine NJ; October 17th, 2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: forgot to spell

Smile Span

Delete it !!

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    Got this in my email today, any thought on this? Smells a little fishy.

Hello ,

My name is Humphery Purcell Of Next Day Leisure's ,Our company Provides Travel & Leisure Services to Our Clients Worldwide .I would like to make a Limousine reservation for our client who will be visiting your country with his family from Africa.Your service would be needed on the day of there arrival from the airport to the Hotel they would be Lodging and some places around .please find below the service you will be providing.

NUMBER OF GUESTS : 3
    ARRIVAL DATE : 6th November 2009
    CHARGE FOR AN HOUR
    TOTAL CHARGES FOR 6 HOURS

So please get back to me as soon as possible with the total cost as required,so i can provide you with my credit card details for the total payment of the Service.I have viewed your website and it's contents and would be happy if you don't direct me back to your website.

Your Earliest Response Would Be Appreciated .
    Keep In touch.

Regards ,
    Humphery Purcell
    Next Day Leisures
    Dean Schuler

My favorite scam is when easyyellowpages calls me to "update my listing information." After repeating the address and phone number they got off of google maps, they say "Okay we will renew you at the same rate of $179.99." The first time I told them I never had an account with them, and before I finished my sentence they had hung up on me. It has happened three times in about two years, I try calling the number back and it is somehow disconnected. I told the FCC but I guess they don't care, they are attempting to do it as a third party charge to my phone bill is my guess.

Senior Member Limo Padawan Eclipse_Limo's Avatar

My husband recieved an email cose to this one, and he asked if they would like his badge number(he didn't say what BADGE) and we never heard from them again...

I feel bad for any real travelers coming from Africa to the US. They will never get any help!! Oh, I have gotten this e-mail twice now. Scam of course.
    Lenora Bowman

Johnny B's Limousine Service
    Charlotte, NC
    We have the only Pink Escalade Limo in the Carolinas!
    www.limojohnny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    My favorite scam is when easyyellowpages calls me to "update my listing information." After repeating the address and phone number they got off of google maps, they say "Okay we will renew you at the same rate of $179.99." The first time I told them I never had an account with them, and before I finished my sentence they had hung up on me. It has happened three times in about two years, I try calling the number back and it is somehow disconnected. I told the FCC but I guess they don't care, they are attempting to do it as a third party charge to my phone bill is my guess.
    I get those calls every couple of months. They want to "confirm/update" my info and then they start asking more personal questions that the public doesn't need to know and I tell them I'm busy and hang up.

I've always wondered what kind of scam it was.

Lenora, yeah, I feel bad for any legit people from Africa. They've gotta get laughed at, cussed out, or hung up on all the time.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Levine View Post

Lenora, yeah, I feel bad for any legit people from Africa. They've gotta get laughed at, cussed out, or hung up on all the time.
    We booked a run last week from India. I was pretty nervous. Everything turned out alright, but I do not know if we would do that again. Like you guys said, too often it is just a scam.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

The problem is you cannot always tell. This one is pretty clear. You can always take the credit card information and call your processor with the code for possible fraud and once you get an operator on the line tell him/her of your concerns. They will verify with the cardholder on the spot while you wait. It may take some time but it may stop the use of the card as well.

I would never do one of these on a last minute basis but when you have several weeks you usually have time to make sure it is a legitimate transaction.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Default Visa ? Mastercard Fraud Control Basics Code 10

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/code.html

When you suspect fraud
    If you’re suspicious of a card or cardholder at any time during a transaction authorization process, you will need to make a Code 10 authorization request.

What is Code 10?
    The Code 10 authorization request alerts the card issuer to the suspicious activity—without alerting the customer. During a Code 10 call, you will speak to the card issuer’s special operator, who will provide instructions on any necessary action. This type of authorization request is the most likely to result in a call to law enforcement.

Code 10 steps
    If you receive an electronic authorization, but still suspect fraud, do the following:

Keep the card in hand to quickly respond to questions.
    Call your voice authorization center and say "I have a Code 10 Authorization Request."

The call will first be received by your merchant bank who may need to ask you for some merchant and/or transaction details. You will then be transferred to the card Issuer and immediately connected to a special operator. A series of yes/no questions will be asked to determine whether you are suspicious of the card or cardholder.

When connected to the special operator, answer all questions calmly and in a normal tone of voice.
    Follow all operator instructions.
    If the operator asks you to retain the card, comply with this request only if it is safe to do so.

Thanks for elaborating Joel. I knew there was a code word but I don't personally run enough credit cards to remember it but I know we have used it and busted people. In fact, three times over the years we were instructed to actually take it and run the trip. I have worked with the cops to set the people up and the limo is then pulled over and the people are arrested because they have committed a crime once they get in the limo and take the ride. One dip shit swallowed an 8-ball of cocaine thinking THAT was the reason they were being stopped. He had his stomach pumped at the hospital before going to jail. I think the credit card fraud charge became a secondary problem for him that night. I enjoyed participating in the stings.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

hey you never know you may have won the nigerian lottery
    If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving probably isn't for you