Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plug blowing out of cylinder.

Default Spark Plug blowing out of cylinder.

Hey All,

I just had a spark plug blow out of my 03 Town Car and the threads are stripped.
    Anyone ever have this happen to them and how did you fix it.
    I've talke with my mechanic, and i guess it's tricky.
    I guess this is a common problem with Ford.

Any input would be appreciated.

Junior Member Limo Padawan

That is the first I heard about a plug blowing out.
    Never happened yet.
    Let us know how to fix that oone

Ed

Rethreading is no fun. If its to severe you might have to replace the motor. The motor had to be running out of fuel or a lean condition. Check the gaps on the rest of the plugs. I run premium to ensure a proper clean burn of the gas into the motor.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by tony35 View Post
    Hey All,

I just had a spark plug blow out of my 03 Town Car and the threads are stripped.
    Anyone ever have this happen to them and how did you fix it.
    I've talke with my mechanic, and i guess it's tricky.
    I guess this is a common problem with Ford.

Any input would be appreciated.

It's a common problem with ford engines.

Here's the service bulletin & repair procedure from ford.

TSB # 07-21-2

4.6L 2V, 5.4L 2V, OR 6.8L 2V - SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR PROCEDURE - NOT COVERED UNDER NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY

Publication Date: October 17, 2007

FORD: 1997 Thunderbird
    1997-2004 Mustang
    1997-2008 Crown Victoria
    1997-1999 F-250 Light Duty
    1997-2004 Expedition
    1997-2008 E-Series, F-150
    1998-2004 F-53 Motorhome Chassis, F-Super Duty
    2001-2005 Excursion
    2002-2006 Explorer
    LINCOLN: 1997-2007 Town Car
    1998-1999 Navigator
    MERCURY: 1997 Cougar
    1997-2008 Grand Marquis
    2002-2006 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-15-2 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
    Some 1997-2008 vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 2V, 5.4L 2V, or 6.8L 2V engine and aluminum cylinder heads may experience a spark plug port with stripped or missing threads.

ACTION:
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition for non warrantable repairs.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Ford Motor Company now authorizes LOCK-N-STITCH aluminum insert and tool kit as a proper repair procedure.

Follow the procedure included in the tool kit for using the tools and inserts. Tool kits and inserts can be ordered from Rotunda by calling 1-800-Rotunda (768-8632). Choose option two (2), part number 302-00001.

NOTE: FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS DETERMINED THAT REPAIRS MADE WITH THESE ALUMINUM INSERTS AND LOCK-N-STITCH TOOLS DO NOT AFFECT THE HEAT TRANSFER FUNCTION BETWEEN THE SPARK PLUG AND THE CYLINDER HEAD.

NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT AUTHORIZED AS A FORD WARRANTY REPAIR. FOR VEHICLES WITHIN WARRANTY, REPLACEMENT OF THE CYLINDER HEAD IS RECOMMENDED.

NOTE: THIS IS THE ONLY FORD AUTHORIZED PROCEDURE FOR SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIRS.

NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE IS AUTHORIZED FOR ESP REPAIRS AND RETAIL REPAIRS.

WARRANTY STATUS:
    Information Only - Not Warrantable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common problem. Happened twice one two different cylinders (matching however) in a V10 6.8L 2000 Excursion in another fleet. Look at the spark plug as something has probably hit it and knock the gap closed.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

The ford v10s have a common problem with this. One of my party bus's has this v10 engine and I hope the problem doesnt happen to me!
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Blog Entries

This is a Head problem the threads are two short, thus leaving a big majority of the Spark plug threads unthreaded. If you change your Spark plugs more than a few times in a Motors lifetime this being the 4.6 What little threads there are in the Aluminum head get weaker and will fail. This is big problem because if you try and tap out the threads the metal shavings go down into the cylider and mess up the pistons and cylinder walls. This reminds me of the old Ht4100 Caddy used to make. They knew they had a problem but just let it go and just kept on making the Junk.

Quote Originally Posted by First Class Limos View Post
    The ford v10s have a common problem with this. One of my party bus's has this v10 engine and I hope the problem doesnt happen to me!
    If I remember correctly, the cylinders that had the spark plugs blow out on the Excursion where the #2 and #9. If that isn't right, it is the #4 and #7. I just know that they are matching cyliders on the head.

Q...as for the shavings...that is why you get a really strong magnet while you are working on this.

Overall, it isn't all that big of a deal to repair if you have the right equipment. A mechanic will probably charge in the neighborhood of $600 to $700 for this work though.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

You are going to have to pull the head off the engine to do the repair... you can use a helicoil insert to do the repair. This is something that can be done by you if you are mechanically inclined. Here is a link to a video that explains how to do a helicoil insert. I have done this before and it works great. You will NOT have to replace the motor... contrary to what another has said. The spark plug popped out... all the motor did was keep pumping fuel into a cylinder that wasn't firing, and the piston action spewed the majority of it out of the plug hole. I would however change your oil though.
    Last edited by BlackRain; September 28th, 2009 at 07:47 AM.

The last 3 that I have seen done, you don't need to pull the head off. Just use a strong magnet and be careful.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...28.html?ref=42

In regards to foreign metal, smear your tap with axle grease and when you cut your threads the shavings will/should stick to the grease.

Depending on how confined your area you should be able to do this with the head intact.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    The last 3 that I have seen done, you don't need to pull the head off. Just use a strong magnet and be careful.
    The head is Aluminum unless you have an aluminum magnet I would think you would be out of luck. The coil as was mentioned is the best way to do the Job no doubt. I agree as far as Fuel just dumping The real motor damage comes from not getting those pieces of Aluminum out of the cylinder. Either way you slice it, this engineering wonder should have been caught and remedied by Ford long ago. This is not a Ford Focus we are talking about here it's a Lincoln Town Car. How about the Plastic intake on the previous models, I am sure some of you folks out there got the recall notice on that little slip up as well. It just goes to show you no vehicle is perfect Ford, GM, or what ever. 3:30 on a Friday or 7:00 on a Monday cars are cars. Nature of the beast I guess

Quote Originally Posted by joel yee View Post
    It's a common problem with ford engines.

Here's the service bulletin & repair procedure from ford.

TSB # 07-21-2

4.6L 2V, 5.4L 2V, OR 6.8L 2V - SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR PROCEDURE - NOT COVERED UNDER NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY

Publication Date: October 17, 2007

FORD: 1997 Thunderbird
    1997-2004 Mustang
    1997-2008 Crown Victoria
    1997-1999 F-250 Light Duty
    1997-2004 Expedition
    1997-2008 E-Series, F-150
    1998-2004 F-53 Motorhome Chassis, F-Super Duty
    2001-2005 Excursion
    2002-2006 Explorer
    LINCOLN: 1997-2007 Town Car
    1998-1999 Navigator
    MERCURY: 1997 Cougar
    1997-2008 Grand Marquis
    2002-2006 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-15-2 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
    Some 1997-2008 vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 2V, 5.4L 2V, or 6.8L 2V engine and aluminum cylinder heads may experience a spark plug port with stripped or missing threads.

ACTION:
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition for non warrantable repairs.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Ford Motor Company now authorizes LOCK-N-STITCH aluminum insert and tool kit as a proper repair procedure.

Follow the procedure included in the tool kit for using the tools and inserts. Tool kits and inserts can be ordered from Rotunda by calling 1-800-Rotunda (768-8632). Choose option two (2), part number 302-00001.

NOTE: FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS DETERMINED THAT REPAIRS MADE WITH THESE ALUMINUM INSERTS AND LOCK-N-STITCH TOOLS DO NOT AFFECT THE HEAT TRANSFER FUNCTION BETWEEN THE SPARK PLUG AND THE CYLINDER HEAD.

NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT AUTHORIZED AS A FORD WARRANTY REPAIR. FOR VEHICLES WITHIN WARRANTY, REPLACEMENT OF THE CYLINDER HEAD IS RECOMMENDED.

NOTE: THIS IS THE ONLY FORD AUTHORIZED PROCEDURE FOR SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIRS.

NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE IS AUTHORIZED FOR ESP REPAIRS AND RETAIL REPAIRS.

WARRANTY STATUS:
    Information Only - Not Warrantable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Joel yee

Thanks for the info, i did find the bulletin online.

Thanks to all for the input, i will let you know how it turns out. I talked to my mechanic,he says it can be done, just time consuming. Have another limo company in the area, had the same thing happen, there mechanic heli coiled it. No problem since.

Nice that ford acknowledges it, but tells you to go to hell to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrQ45Limo View Post
    The head is Aluminum unless you have an aluminum magnet I would think you would be out of luck. The coil as was mentioned is the best way to do the Job no doubt. I agree as far as Fuel just dumping The real motor damage comes from not getting those pieces of Aluminum out of the cylinder. Either way you slice it, this engineering wonder should have been caught and remedied by Ford long ago. This is not a Ford Focus we are talking about here it's a Lincoln Town Car. How about the Plastic intake on the previous models, I am sure some of you folks out there got the recall notice on that little slip up as well. It just goes to show you no vehicle is perfect Ford, GM, or what ever. 3:30 on a Friday or 7:00 on a Monday cars are cars. Nature of the beast I guess
    Oh...the physical properties of electricity and the resultant magnetic field. You need to run a small current.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Turned out to be a cracked head.
    I'm having a new engine put in the car
    Instead of replacing the head. The motor has 195000 miles on it.
    New engine is $2800.00 with 3 year 100000mile warranty.