Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light up Dance Floors

Default Light up Dance Floors

We are getting sick of vacuuming the massive carpets in my 200" escalade esv. I see these acrylic dance floors and I like them. Has anyone retrofitted their limousne with one? what do you use for the flooring material? MTG has the lights that is not really my concern at all...where would one get the material to build such? Anyone that has done it, your help would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Scott View Post
    We are getting sick of vacuuming the massive carpets in my 200" escalade esv. I see these acrylic dance floors and I like them. Has anyone retrofitted their limousne with one? what do you use for the flooring material? MTG has the lights that is not really my concern at all...where would one get the material to build such? Anyone that has done it, your help would be appreciated!
    Hey Jarrod,

Just finished building a party bus. I used polished aluminum diamond plate. Looks flashy and easy to clean. Cost 85.00 per 4x8 sheet. In the process of building another one. I am using hardwood just to be a little different. I will post pics next week.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

I forgot to mention, I had a couple limos with the acrylic disco floors. They look good at night, but during the day, they look like shit. They get scratched really bad, and after a while the seams seperate a little from wear and tear and moisture gets trapped between the plexiglass. If grape juice or something similar is spilled and gets trapped in the seams, it is there to stay unless you dismantle the floor to clean it out. This can be a real pain in the ass. I also wonder what would happen if moisture came in contact with the electlical, would it short it out? Something to think about.
    Dan Repass
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

I agree with celebrity we have several dance floors from when they were built and they do get dirty and I even had one crack and had to replace it from a local shop. The major problem with them is water/beer gets in there and shows and it gets very dirty and very hard to clean sometimes requires taking the whole floor up and cleaning / redoing which can be an 8 hour job.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by Celebritylimoky View Post
    Hey Jarrod,

Just finished building a party bus. I used polished aluminum diamond plate. Looks flashy and easy to clean. Cost 85.00 per 4x8 sheet. In the process of building another one. I am using hardwood just to be a little different. I will post pics next week.
    how do you clean that? i did my steps in diamond plate on both buses and it gets dirty and dull really quick. i just polished a set of steps last week and its messed up already.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    how do you clean that? i did my steps in diamond plate on both buses and it gets dirty and dull really quick. i just polished a set of steps last week and its messed up already.
    I clean with car wash detergent and brush, then run a damp mop over it. I don't worry about the shine. Once it is walked on a few times, it will get a little dull, but still looks good as long as you keep it clean. The bus has had several rough groups and the floor still looks great. we'll see what it looks like this time next year.
    Dan Repass
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

the only thing i could think of for my future buses that should hold up over time is tile with epoxy grout which still might crack, but epoxy grout is what they use in restaurants and holds up way longer with traffic. the other thing is hardwood floors and just screen and recoat when they get scratched to give it a new look. the only problem with hardwood is the moisture issue but i guess if you use certain exotic woods it will hold up to moisture better. my neighbor who does hardwood floors for a living said they use them in boats. i'm really not sure but im going to try it next.

There is a floor that is called I think a "floating floor" It looks like hardwood, but is is actually a rubber or synthetic. I saw it at a local flooring shop and was very impressed. It doesn't look fake. You can get it in many different shades that all look like different hardwoods, and it is really durable and will take a real pounding. The cost per sq.ft. is comparable to hardwood
    Dan Repass
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

There is a floor that is called I think a "floating floor" It looks like hardwood, but is is actually a rubber or synthetic. I saw it at a local flooring shop and was very impressed. It doesn't look fake. You can get it in many different shades that all look like different hardwoods, and it is really durable and will take a real pounding. The cost per sq.ft. is comparable to hardwood
    Pergo is also a floating floor and used a lot in kitchens. We have a prefinished wood in our kitchen and has held up well with moisture. There are different thicknesses too. Diamond plate is a pain to polish, you can use aluminum brightener to make it super clean...but it will eventually turn the aluminum bright white which looks good but will get dirty easier since it ends up "pitting" it. Diamond plate isn't cheap either. You can spray a clearcoat over it which will haze it slightly but will save tons of time on cleaning. You can also use flat aluminum, stainless steel, or chrome plated. All of these options though (including wood) produce a slick surface.
    Last edited by Cedar Mill Limousine; September 25th, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

i thought that stuff was the best thing ever, i have it in both of my buses. it was great at first but now its been about a year since i installed it and the seams (which just stick together) are coming apart and the floor is warped in some spots. i think its from the dirt and getting wet all the time. as far as cleaning and everything else its perfect. its also very easy to install.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3X-_-100594664

Blog Entries

IF you are going to go with a wood floor there is really only one choice...Bamboo this stuff is your best bet for durability. The problem with disco flooring is most guy's do not use polycarb, they use lexon or plexi glass, they figure polycarb is too expensive. The fake wood flooring material is a HUGE mistake, I would advise to stay away from this garbage. Carpet is still the best thing for non slip surface, but as was stated by Jared you have to deal with the vaccum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    i thought that stuff was the best thing ever, i have it in both of my buses. it was great at first but now its been about a year since i installed it and the seams (which just stick together) are coming apart and the floor is warped in some spots. i think its from the dirt and getting wet all the time. as far as cleaning and everything else its perfect. its also very easy to install.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3X-_-100594664
    Brandon, did you lay a sub-floor down before applying this floor or just put it in over the original rubber floor? This is the stuff I was planning on using on the bus that I'm building right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Brandon, did you lay a sub-floor down before applying this floor or just put it in over the original rubber floor? This is the stuff I was planning on using on the bus that I'm building right now.
    i put down luan with construction adhesive. if you screw it down it leaves bumps and the floor has to be completely flat for a good install job. basically all you do is run a bead of construction adhesive on the first piece of flooing you put down and the rest is floating. have you ever seen sheet vinyl? that stuff would be perfect because its all 1 piece and has no seams. the bad part is the vinyl plank flooring looks great and all the vinyl sheet flooring that ive seen looks crappy. im sure you know how messy people can get in party buses and how dirty the floor gets, you definitely need something non porous that is easy to clean with the abuse the floors take.

Senior Member Limo Padawan MrGoldwing's Avatar

Disco Floor - crap because it gets scratched way to easy if you dont have a vinyl protector. Our limos all have that and we use overlays for daytime and disco floor for night time. Seems to be the best choice for us but needs maintenance. Also remember, when they spill drinks on that floor, fluid goes under the The plastic vinyl cover we buy at HomeDepot and change it every 6 mts.
    Diamond Plate - Looks like eighteen wheeler equipment. Looks cheap and like crap, its really tough but needs polishing
    Pergo Floating floor - total crap, scratches worst than plexi disco floor and you cant really buff it out like plexi. Once you get a sratch from women's hills - forget it - women destroy pergo floor
    Granite floor - seems to be the best choice, easy to clean, looks good, reflects floor lights but puts extra weight on your car
    Carpet floor - maybe OK but needs vacumming, smells bad when you spill anything (especially beer) but you can change it easy for a new one when its destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoldwing View Post
    Granite floor - seems to be the best choice, easy to clean, looks good, reflects floor lights but puts extra weight on your car
    have you used granite floor on a bus before? im really curious to how long it will last before it cracks.