Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Town Car Climate Control Questions

Default Town Car Climate Control Questions

I have a similar problem on two of my 2007 Town Cars (not stretched) - occasionally AC will not blow out of upper vents. Rear vents (passenger) are fine, but when it is set to upper vents (face) only floor vents engage. Went ahead and replaced the AC Head unit on one of the cars, still occasionally I will need to restart the car for the upper vents to kick in. If I specifically select floor, sometimes upper vents will kick in for a few minutes. Sounds like a faulty AC head unit, but it was replaced a month ago. Dealer obviously can't diagnose the issue since it is not happening all the time. Any ideas? Not a huge problem since rear air is fine, but the drivers complain that air is not blowing in their face.
    Last edited by DFW Transit; September 13th, 2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Dallas Limo, Texas
    Luxury Limousine and Airport Car Service
    www.dfwtransit.com

I have the same problem with a couple of my cars. I have had one at the dealership a couple of times, and they have yet to fix the problem. I just found out the other day that there is a technical service bulletin on this problem. I will have to go back and look tomorrow, but the best I remember, the problem is at the blend door. I think the foam seal is bad. I ran across this last week when I had a car overheating because the fan motor was bad. There is also a tsb on this. Both will be fixed free of charge, as long as the car is still under warranty. I will post a copy of both tomorrow.
    Jerry Thomas

Thanks Jerry! I will check back tomorrow. I might have my dealer fix it on all of my TCs before the warranty runs out.
    Dallas Limo, Texas
    www.dfwtransit.com

I've been told that this problem dates back to the 95-96 LTC's. There is a problem with the actuator that is supposed to be an easy fix through the dealer.... Supposedly.

I am not a mechanic, but I think older TCs had vacuum control doors and the current body style has electronic door controls, which made me suspect a head unit being a problem in the first place.
    Dallas Limo, Texas
    www.dfwtransit.com

Haven't noticed the problem in either the 2007 stretch or the 2006 sedan. At least if it happens, now I have an idea.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

A very common problem, there are five hvac door actuators on the TC, two temp door one inlet door, one defrost door, and one floor/panel door. The dash will have to be removed the replace the defrost and floor/panel actuators, about a half day job. sounds like the floor/panel actuator is intermittently failing. All of the actuators have been updated and the part numbers start with 9W1Z. An even more common problem is that they make a noise that sounds kind of like boiling water from the dash area, and will continue to make noise for several minutes after the engine is shut off. Hope this helps.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve_b View Post
    An even more common problem is that they make a noise that sounds kind of like boiling water from the dash area, and will continue to make noise for several minutes after the engine is shut off. Hope this helps.

Steve

This is a Ford problem. The Crown Vics I drive for work do the exact same thing.

Climate control...window up or down?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by steve_b View Post
    A very common problem, there are five hvac door actuators on the TC, two temp door one inlet door, one defrost door, and one floor/panel door. The dash will have to be removed the replace the defrost and floor/panel actuators, about a half day job. sounds like the floor/panel actuator is intermittently failing. All of the actuators have been updated and the part numbers start with 9W1Z. An even more common problem is that they make a noise that sounds kind of like boiling water from the dash area, and will continue to make noise for several minutes after the engine is shut off. Hope this helps.

Steve
    I just had all five actuators on my limo replaced. Thank god it was covered under warranty.
    Highest customer retention rate in the industry!

<--------------------------------------------

yeah...so driving my 2007 LTC stretch this evening, it seems like this problem has started with me.

Now, since this is the first mechanical issue that I have had, how do I go about getting in warrantied? Do I just take it to Ford, or is it something I am going to need to go through the coachbuilder first? It is a Ford problem and not a conversion problem. If it were a sedan, this would be an easy enough answer. I am just unsure about it being a stretch if I just take it straight in to Ford.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

This is a Ford Issue, not a coach builder issue.

Hopefully you can get better service from the Ford Dealer(s) in your area than I get from the Dealers here in Seattle. Good luck.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DFW Transit View Post
    I have a similar problem on two of my 2007 Town Cars (not stretched) - occasionally AC will not blow out of upper vents. Rear vents (passenger) are fine, but when it is set to upper vents (face) only floor vents engage. Went ahead and replaced the AC Head unit on one of the cars, still occasionally I will need to restart the car for the upper vents to kick in. If I specifically select floor, sometimes upper vents will kick in for a few minutes. Sounds like a faulty AC head unit, but it was replaced a month ago. Dealer obviously can't diagnose the issue since it is not happening all the time. Any ideas? Not a huge problem since rear air is fine, but the drivers complain that air is not blowing in their face.
    I have the same problem on my 07 TC sedan, just noticed it yesterday. I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

Default TSB's

Sorry it took me so long to get back here, but we have been slammed! I have looked, and I can't find the tsb on the "mind of it's own" vent problem yet. I will keep looking the next couple of days.

However, I did run across these that may be of help to some, as I know we have had the same problems:

TSB 09-6-4
    04/06/09
    CLICKING/POPPING NOISE BEHIND CENTER OF
    DASH - VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/8/2008
    LINCOLN:
    2004-2009 Town Car
    This article supersedes TSB 08-12-11 to update the vehicle model years, Service Procedure and add a production fix date.
    ISSUE
    Some 2004-2009 Lincoln Town Car vehicles built on or before 8/8/2008 may exhibit a clicking or popping noise from the center of the dash area when the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) is on, engine running, and even up to several minutes after the vehicle has been shut off. This may be caused by either the Panel/Defrost and/or the Floor Door mode actuators rapidly cycling back and forth during EATC operation. This condition does not affect defroster or heater performance.
    ACTION
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
    SERVICE PROCEDURE
    NOTE IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE NOISE BE ISOLATED TO EITHER OF THE IDENTIFIED ACTUATORS BEFORE PROCEEDING. OTHER ACTUATOR NOISES, NORMAL A/C REFRIGERANT PRESSURE EQUALIZATION OR COOLANT/AIR IN THE HEATER CORE WILL NOT BE CORRECTED BY THE COMPLETION OF THIS PROCEDURE.
    1. With the EATC in Automatic Mode and active (engine temperature warm enough to allow normal EATC operation), verify that the noise is being caused by either of the two affected plenum chamber actuators, by turning engine off and listening for a clicking or popping noise in the plenum area. The noise may be heard for up to 2 minutes after engine key off. If either of the two identified actuators are not the cause of the noise, do not proceed and continue with normal diagnostics.
    2. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-01 to replace both plenum chamber actuators with updated parts.

Parts Block
    WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
    IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
    OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

090604A 2004-2009 Town Car: 2.9 Hrs.
    Replace Both Plenum
    Chamber Actuators,
    Includes Time To Remove
    And Install Instrument
    Panel (Do Not Use With
    19700D, 19700D7,
    19700D5, 04320A,
    04320B, 19680A, 18805E)
    DEALER CODING
    CONDITION
    BASIC PART NO. CODE
    19E616 30
    Jerry Thomas

Default TSB's

Part 2 - This is the one you definitely need to have fixed asap. One of my Town Cars was in Augusta, GA (300 miles from here) a few weeks back when ours went out. Had to scramble, but the dealer there (Kudos to Bobby Jones Ford) got us going in a couple of hours. Great service dept!

TSB 07-9-5
    05/14/07
    ENGINE OVERHEATING - POOR AC PERFORMANCE
    FORD:
    2006-2007 Crown Victoria
    LINCOLN:
    2006-2007 Town Car
    MERCURY:
    2006-2007 Grand Marquis
    This article supersedes TSB 06-20-3 to update the Service Procedure.
    ISSUE
    Some 2006-2007 Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car vehicles built before 8/31/2006 may experience intermittent engine overheating and/or poor A/C performance due to an inoperative engine cooling fan motor.
    ACTION
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
    SERVICE PROCEDURE
    WARNING IF EQUIPPED WITH A FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM, THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE LIFTING THE VEHICLE.
    SEE WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM), SECTION 419-03 FOR DETAILS.
    Verify proper cooling fan operation, and if required, replace the cooling fan with a revised motor and fan assembly. Refer to the appropriate WSM, Section 303-03 for Cooling Fan Motor and Shroud Replacement. If the fan is inoperative, replacing the thermostat will not resolve this issue.

Parts Block
    WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
    IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
    OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

070905A 2006-2007 Crown Victoria, 0.9 Hr.
    Grand Marquis, Town Car:
    Replace The Engine
    Cooling Fan, Includes
    Time To Diagnose Fan
    (Do Not Use With 8621A,
    8621B)
    DEALER CODING
    CONDITION
    BASIC PART NO. CODE
    8C607 30
    Jerry Thomas