Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Conditioner

You may want too try cracking your windows if you haven't already. If you start moving does the system start cooling down.

I have cleaned the condenser. Every time I call about the high idle system I am told they only have one for a diesel motor. As far as the fan goes would I get one that is bigger in size or more power. Also if anybody out there knows who a top notch air person in Illinois is ...let me know. Thanks

Blog Entries

The idle controller is probably what you need to add. By bumping the idle up, even by just a few hundred rpm's, the A/C pump can pump and the fans can operate the way they need to.

Check into a Pentex idle controller, they DO offer them for gas engines, I have had them on limousines in the past and a friend has one on his gas bus now. Basically they tap into the cruise control box and trick it into working without the vehicle actually moving. I believe they tap into the cruise-control unit power wires and adapt them to be externally controlled by an electronic resistor in the Pentex idle controller.

You "may" be able to rig an old-school choke cable to your linkage on the cruise control unit to pull the throttle up when parked. This would be tricky but could work to get you through the rough times.

Blog Entries

We use to do it this way at G.M.P.G. Get an old vacuum cruise control servo off out of a junk yard. The kind with the chain works best. Mouut it so that it can hook up to the throttle body linkage. Set the chain so that when it is fully applied, it is the desired high idle setting. Get an electro/vacuum control switch (like they use on the rear heater valves) to control the off and on. Install A switch in side the car to kick it up but to be on the safe side install a pilot light to let you know it is on. You could probably get this stuff at most auto parts stores.

We did not have to worry about shutting them off because we used them to cycle the speed of a test engine speed up and down 24/7. 90 seconds at desired rpms 90 seconds at idle. I had one 3.1 that had the equlivilent of 750,000 miles on it.

Thanks ..I will look into this.

A friend of mine has a Navigator that is 30" loner than mine and I used it the other nite and it seemed great. I just had my pressure checked it was perfect. I just don't get it. But I will keep working at it. This is a beautiful SUV and only 23,000 miles. Thanks

Blog Entries

Many of the newer suvs and buses have dual a/c compressors.

And I understand that I can't put two compressors on mine. I don't know exactly why ...but that is what I hear. I would spend the money in a blink if it would work.

Took it in to Semi-Bus Service center today and they said I have a bad compressor . Guess I'll know in the morning if my problem is solved.

Ok.....Got the SUV back this morning with new compressor installed. it is only in the 60's today and i am getting 48 degree air in front and back with truck just sitting and idling. i let it sit out all afternoon and it got good and hot inside because it is a Tuxedo and the sun is out. I just let it sit for 10 minutes and idle and I got in back and it is very comfortable. i took the vent covers off under the J seat and they were very clean and I can see the other 2 mannex units and they felt cold. Does anyone know if there should be any thing else under the seats that I should check for dirt and dust build up. The condenser in front of the radiator is clean and fan is working. Anything else I should clean ? Thanks